Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Ford Racing Springs installed Left rear is 1/2" lower than Right Rear????

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:22 PM
DanielKSpencer
2nd Gear Member

Default Ford Racing Springs installed Left rear is 1/2" lower than Right Rear????

The Springs are seated properly
I don't know if it was off before the spring install
What's is the deal????
Old 09-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

lets start off with a few easy things

1. seated TOP & Bottom
2. tires aired up properly
3. parked on level ground
4. equal loading of wieght inside car
5. anything under 1 of the tires
6. same springs on both sides (ie: part #'s match)
Old 09-24-2009, 09:54 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

That is a common issue with lowering springs. Check everything mentioned in the post above. If all that checks out then report the problem to whom you purchased the springs from so it's on record. They either will get you a new set of springs or tell you to F* off, at that point you may contact FRPP 1-888-FORD-788, they most likely ask you to mail them back so they can check them out and mail you back another set. This may take a few weeks and you will have to pay for shipping back and forth.

You may just want to drive around for a few miles and see if the rest of the springs settle
Old 09-24-2009, 11:06 PM
RainsFather
1st Gear Member

Had the same problem with mine when first installed. Drive around for a couple of days, they should settle to where they are supposed to be.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:54 AM
DanielKSpencer
2nd Gear Member

I did a lot of searching and found several with the same issue. Some with the stock springs even saying the same thing, too.
My garage is perfectly flat.
All tire Psi is the same
I I took the springs out and checked them and reinstalled them
And. . . . exactly the same amount off when I checked them again

But get this . . . . if I use a level on the car it's perfectly level. Must just be a issue with the fenders not being even, which some of my searching results say that is the problem.

BTW the car has only 7k miles and has never been in a wreck or has had any damage in any way ever. Figured I would save someone the trouble.

I don't think I'll worry too much about it (hard not to with OCD) and I will check them after they settle.

Last edited by DanielKSpencer; 09-25-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:13 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on your install! Glad to see you jumped in and got it done.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:24 PM
DanielKSpencer
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, if I hadn't have talked to you I probably wouldn't have done it. Looks way better. I have to get up some pix once I get the alignment done and it quits with the rain everyday around here.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Have you tried to swap the springs from one side to another to see if the problem switches sides? If it does, then you know it's the spring. If not then it's the car or installation on that side.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:32 AM
evil06gt
1st Gear Member

Hope this helps

problem:
Originally Posted by 46marine
I installed the Vogtland 1.3/1.3 lowering springs on my 2007 this past Friday and I seem to be having a ride height issue. The driver's side rear sits a full inch taller than the passenger's side, while the fronts are within a 1/4 of an inch of each other.

Saturday I switched the rear springs, moved the pass. side spring to the driver side and the driver side spring to the pass. side. While I had them out I verified the part numbers on the springs, both matched. When I dropped the car back down and took it for a little drive, when I got back to the house I measured and the driver's side was still a full inch taller. So out of frustration I pulled both of my rear shocks and dropped the back down... don't change, I really didn't expect it too but I was desperate.

Last night I removed my CHE control arms and relocation brackets... I was really on the fence about taking these off, but I had to know so I put my stock control arms back on. Once again I took my GT for a little drive, got back and measured. I still have an inch variance between the pass. and driver side.

Every time I ensured the springs were settled in their perches and my car has ~half a tank of fuel in it. I understood that there would be a variance from side to side and back to front, but that one inch really stands out. I keep kicking myself because I didn't measure the ride height before the install. I'm concerned and lost and I don't know what else to check, does anyone have any ideas?

Are the Vogtlands junk? Should I try a set of Eibachs?
solution:
Originally Posted by 46marine
Issue resolved

Monday night I started to install the stock rear springs, I noticed something that I totally over looked. When I pulled the stock springs the "first time" one of rubber isolators came out with it. I didn't think much of it, didn't seem like a big deal... It turned to be a big deal and the root cause of my issue.

Seems there's a little plastic keeper that holds the isolator up in the pocket and kind of guides the spring on to the perch. Looks like one of those plastic push on button keepers used to hold on a bumper cover and other body components. When it fell out the first time I just set it on the new spring and installed the spring... no big deal right ?!?!

When it fell out the second time while switching the springs around I didn't think much of it again, it feel out last time... no big deal. BUT, I was sure to pay close attention to the spring as I jacked the rear back up and everything seemed to seat well.

This last time when I pulled the springs I yanked the isolator out from the other side and saw that button fastener on there. Then I looked at the other one and noticed it was all smashed over. So I pulled it off the isolator and to be safe I pulled it off the other one as well. I also put a little poly lube on the top sides of the isolators to help them seat on the perch.

To my surprise, after putting it all back together, my ride height issue was gone. I guess that little keeper was guiding the spring off the perch, just enough to cause a problem?

So thanks to all for the help! I'll try and get some pics up with the Vogtlands installed and I guess I'll have a brand new set of Eibach for sell soon, LOL
Old 09-26-2009, 08:21 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

^^

good find, hope it works for the OP