Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

need suspension chang

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:57 PM
shakrr
1st Gear Member

Default need suspension chang

I have a 09 gt convertible with a cervinis kit with stock suspension I want to lower this I don't like the nose up down when acc and braking I have 20s with 255 35zr 20 tires it handles the on off ramps and any twisty s I can find nice, and the clearance on steeper drives su*ks it is only about 5" clearance I read the lowering thread and still don't know what to do, I am thinking 1" rear only with adj shocks and stuts will this stop the rocking horse? am i close or do I need to spend more for a air ride.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:53 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

If you are close to scraping already, i would try adjustable shocks/struts first. I run the stock springs with tokico d-specs and can tell a huge difference in pitch and dive during braking and accelerating when running the dampers stiffer than stock.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If you only notice this when accelerating and braking, better dampers will slow the motion down but not necessarily reduce how far it actually travels. IOW, you'll still be likely to scrape, just not quite as often.

If you lower the car, it sounds like you will absolutely need more spring rate.

You shouldn't be getting much of this "rocking horse" motion while just driving at a steady speed, even over roads that have evenly spaced "heaves" in the pavement. If you do, that wouldn't say much for either the OE dampers or spring rates (and I doubt that Ford managed to get them that far off). Or it would say that you've managed to trash them in pretty short order.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-26-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: splng
Old 10-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I'd suggest a good set of dampers. The rocking and hobby horse motion is less about the spring rate, and more about the lack of body motion control so the car doesn't settle down.

D-specs are an option. I carry those $569/set shipped. Koni STR.T's if you don't want adjustables are now $409 a set (not shipped, about $25-30 to ship them). There are Koni Sports which are better than D-specs. They cost most @ $780/set and we are stil waiting on a shipment of fronts which is taking forever.

Links:

D-Spec set: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=64&ModelID=5

Koni STR.T set: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=64&ModelID=5
Old 10-26-2009, 04:44 PM
shakrr
1st Gear Member

this is a new car less than 1000 miles the rocking horse is from me smashing the gas and playing this is a toy for me not a dd i do want to lower the rear it is way to hi and would like to lower the front a little but not a 1", I like the looks off the stalker package cervinis has in their ad lowered they say they install a German brand springs voitl something that is .75 in front and 1.25 in the rear and they end up with what i have now almost 5" in the front does that sound right?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You seem to imply that becaue the car is new the shocks can't possibly lack body control (which is rebound damping?).

It's not that the car moves up and down, it's that it happens too quickly. And fwiw, most of it is the up when you hit the gas hard and the fast drop when you jump off it. Stiffer springs won't help the "up" much at all, will help the "down" some. But then if you don't do shocks with the springs the ride will suffer, and will get worse with time, along with more pronounced body motion as the shocks just get overwhelmed by the higher rate, shorter travel springs.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:13 PM
shakrr
1st Gear Member

I want to do adj shocks also I mention the konis cause you said they were better in another thread, do you know the german springs they told me about i like the .75 drop up front with 1.25 rear which they say is stiffer than eibachs will dropping the rear more bring the front back up a little from the angle
Old 10-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Nothing specific. German means Eibach, H&R or Vogtland. I sell all 3, none have a listed set of that drop, but using GT500 springs will lower the nose less (since GT's have less weight) and I estimate those spring to be about a .8" front, 1.2" rear drop. In fact, here's the link to them on my site (with a pic of a Bullitt on them): http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=75&ModelID=5

I'd also ask you to consider what information you gather where. I ask this because lately there has a been a rash of folks wanting knowledge I have and worked for, then running off to buy things other places for little difference in price.... I don't see Cervini's in here doing that. Hell, seems they don't want to even tell you what springs!
Old 10-26-2009, 07:24 PM
shakrr
1st Gear Member

thanks sam will call you in am to discuss
Old 10-29-2009, 03:47 PM
shakrr
1st Gear Member

wow that was quick all the parts showed today Sam

Quick Reply: need suspension chang