Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Koni STR.T's

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 11:53 AM
jplooch

Default Adding to the Koni Love

I ordered almost the same setup as Bingo (STR.T's, Steeda Ultra Light springs and Steeda HD strut mounts).

Sam was awesome with his suggestions and customer service and the handing difference is immediately apparent with this setup. I haven't had a chance to go canyon carving yet (just put them on last weekend) but i can say that the car behaves a LOT more predictably when oversteering with the throttle... Very nice setup.

I did have some "fun" trying to get the rear springs out as the convertible seems to have a brace under the axle that keeps you from lowering it far enough to get the spring out without compressing them. I had to lower the axle then crank one side way up to get the springs out, (i could have removed the braces i suppose but i'm lazy), other than that installation was pretty straightforward!

Love my Koni/Steeda setup, highly recommended if you don't need full on race mode adjustability (plus i didn't want to mess with adjustments all the time).
Old 11-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

STR.T's and Steeda Sports are a very good match. You can clearly see a lot of folks are quite pleased with the combination. It's solid, and very cost effective. STR.T's are $409/set, and the Steeda Sport springs are $259/set shipped.

STR.T's can handle other moderate lowering springs too, but you can forget something like trying to control H&R race springs with them. There are any number of springs that will work decently--and I carry most all of them. But in this way we get known commodities on ride height, type of ride, the quality of springs and dampers too.

Would I trade my Koni Sports for STR.T's? I would not based on how picky I am, and how I use my car. If you want to fix the screwed up damping issues that Ford gave us, the STR.T's will do. If you want to lower the car a reasonable amount, and help the handling--then adding a set of springs (not any spring, some do suck) will help. But of course folks need to remember that lowering a car will firm it up. But Steeda Sports are some of the best riding springs for the car, and the damper change makes the sharper impacts 100 times better on their own. All in all, many feel this combination rides better than stock. Firmer, but firm does not mean harsh.... BMW's are firm, but not harsh.