Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Question on New Take Offs

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:59 AM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Default Question on New Take Offs

I'm looking to do the GT Suspension on my V6 Convertible for handling purposes. I don't really like the spongy cornering and wanted to stiffen it up a bit. Don't care about a more harsh or stiff ride. The GT take offs description says 17" wheels, but I have 16" wheels. What issues would I have installing the GT components with the 16" wheels? I asked this question on another thread in here but no one has responded so I'm trying again.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Providing the brakes clear your 16" wheels, I don't think there'd be ANY negative impact. Just be aware that your tires probably have a bit more sidewall than a tire on a 17" wheel (with the same OD as the 16" tire) which is probably attributing to some of the "spongy" handling but, IMO, I love more sidewall simply for the look (as opposed to those with 20" wheels and rubber band tires for the "in-the-hood" look).
Old 03-17-2010, 12:58 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Smile

I couldn't imagine the geometry would differ and I would have to get an alignment as would be if I were installing lowering components. Just wanted to question why NTO lists for 17" wheels and the difference. I was hoping the circumference of the wheel overall remained the same and you've confirmed that. Eventually I want to do the exhaust and go to 17" wheels, but first things first.

Thanks for the reply. Going to order the kit today.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Peshields
2nd Gear Member

i believe NTO lists them as 17" because all GT's have a minimum 17" rim, correct?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Hi there,

If you can wait a couple weeks, I'll sell you the the springs, struts and sways bars off my GT. PM me if interested.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Or you don't have to wait at all and you can buy mine!

PM me if interested...
No, PM me if interested...
NO, PM ME if interested...

Seriously, PM me if interested. Or tell your other V6 brethren to do so.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Peshields
2nd Gear Member

what would be the reasoning behind going to the GT suspension instead of going to an eibach or H&R lowering setup? just curious..
Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 PM
JimC

The question was asked about the brakes - the rear brakes are exactly the same between the GT and the V6. But the front brakes on the GT are bigger and you need the 17" wheels at a minimum to clear the bigger rotor and the bracket that moves your caliper out further.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:41 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Ok I couldn't wait and ordered last week, it came in today. Springs definitely look larger on the rear, haven't looked at the front yet. Interestingly enough, my car did not come with a rear stabilizer bar. That would be part of the reason for the body roll in the curves. So now I have to get the bolts to bolt it up, but that shouldn't be too expensive. Hopefully I can do the swap this weekend. JimC, I'm aware of the brake swap for the 17" wheels and hopefully will do that sometime in the future. I'm following the NTO project car except I'm not doing the Bassani crossover, axle swap or the X-charger. I just don't make that kind of money to be able to justify spending about $6000 on those items. I prefer a little at a time. I do have a tune using a SCT Xtuner and maybe will be getting another from Bama. Thanks for everyone responding and I'll post how everything went.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:47 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Peshields
what would be the reasoning behind going to the GT suspension instead of going to an eibach or H&R lowering setup? just curious..
I didn't want to lower it any and was looking for an inexpensive way to improve the handling without going too far with it. If this works ok, then after the car is paid for, maybe I'll do more to the suspension. I have a local repair shop looking for a pair of GT takeoff mufflers (he said he got take-offs for his GTO, like 3 sets for free from a speed shop) and other exhaust components. I wish I had talked to him before ordering as he could have gotten the suspension stuff too. I'm going to do the duals and just cut the bumper, possibly putting the trim around the tips on the bumper. Just have to see what it looks like.

Quick Reply: Question on New Take Offs