Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Are dealers really that inept?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:07 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Default Are dealers really that inept?

Went to the local Ford dealer this afternoon to have my TPMS sensors put into my GT500 wheels and have an alignment done. Dealer tried to sell my a tire rotation too, but I kinda laughed at him and said "How do you plan on rotating staggered directional tires? Because you can't, unless you want to totally take the tires off the wheels and remount them." "Oh. My bad".

Sure enough, when I get back to my car, they have one of the rear tires on the front of the car.

I mean seriously? You think running a 285 in the front and a 255 tire in the rear is normal? Ugh.

Oh well, at least getting the TPMS sensors out of the stock wheels, replacing them with normal valve stems, re-balancing the tires, putting the tpms sensors in the new wheels, re-balancing the GT500 wheels, and getting an alignment only cost $130.

Anyone need a set of 2007 TPMS sensors?
Old 05-27-2010, 04:21 PM
GlassVapor
2nd Gear Member

Flippin scary
Old 05-27-2010, 04:41 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokinAMD
but I kinda laughed at him and said "How do you plan on rotating staggered directional tires? Because you can't, unless you want to totally take the tires off the wheels and remount them." "Oh. My bad".
But you were having the tires popped off the beads anyway, so it's like an extra 2 minutes per corner to dismount the tire all the way. It was a reasonable suggestion, for the fronts at least.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:47 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

That made me laugh, they put one of the rears up front! I would reccomend a different dealer to do service on your car good thing you caught the mistake!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:27 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

The dealer service department is good, its just the quick lane department they use for tires and oil changes is scary.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

I have worked at private shops and a dealer, and all I can tell is- yes. There are good techs and bad ones out there and it really doesn't matter how much you're paying for it.

Rotating staggered tires on different size wheels is absolutely ridiculous.

PM sent for the sensors.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Most stealerships are that stupid. I know mine is. I have been in there multiple times, and it's amazing how little they actually know about these cars or about parts in general.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

unfortunately this seems to be pretty common with allot of places out there now a days. Just this last month I went to a cruise-in and there was White Sherrod Mustang GT there with Black Bullitts. I was looking it over and then all of a sudden, I realized that the lips on the front rims where wider than the rear ones...someone had rotated a staggered set of rims. I kindly called attention to the owner who had just went to a local tire place the week before and never even noticed it??
Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

did you raise hell about it?
Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
But you were having the tires popped off the beads anyway, so it's like an extra 2 minutes per corner to dismount the tire all the way. It was a reasonable suggestion, for the fronts at least.
not really. most directional tires only go onto either the left side or the right side of a vehicle. depends which sidewall he wants to show really
Old 05-27-2010, 09:09 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

I just wanted to chime in with one more point- the reason you don't have decent techs at dealership is because they don't want to pay. Trust me, the high prices they charge don't get passed on to the techs.

Quick Reply: Are dealers really that inept?