Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Installing Tein Flex Coilover Suspension with EDFC

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:31 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Default Installing Tein Flex Coilover Suspension with EDFC

The Tein suspension is going on this week and I am looking forward to seeing how it performs on the street and the track. I am going to install the EDFC in the headlamp while running the wires up the A pillers so everything will be easy to get to when you are driving.

What do you think I should add next? I want to add both a Whipple and new rims, R compond tires and brakes. What would you do first? The Whipple or the tires, brakes and rims? I want to track the car here at some point and I want the car ready.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:13 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I can't justify paying that much for coilovers, they're all pretty much in the same price range. But hey if you can swing it why not!

Depends if you wanna go power first or looks/braking, me personally would probably go power first then the wheels/brakes next.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:41 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

I want to get brakes, tires and rims first so I can stop the car when I get the go fast stuff. The problem is I want to get the go fast mods first to get the big expense out of the way first so I don't chicken out later.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:35 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

i mounted mine right below the headlight switch.

I find that the flex are more track oriented set. Pretty stiff ride on the street, but its fine for me.

Tires were the single greatest thing for me. sticky tires plus tein flex is a good combo. Sticks very well.

brakes werent a big issue for me. For track dtc70 or ht-10 works well. I have a set if your interested
Old 08-22-2010, 06:37 AM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by foolio2k4
i mounted mine right below the headlight switch.

I find that the flex are more track oriented set. Pretty stiff ride on the street, but its fine for me.

Tires were the single greatest thing for me. sticky tires plus tein flex is a good combo. Sticks very well.

brakes werent a big issue for me. For track dtc70 or ht-10 works well. I have a set if your interested
How often do you find yourself changing the setting during the day? I would really like to know because it will determine my placement. When you set the EDFC for the softest settings say for a morning commute on the freeway do you still get a pretty stiff ride? My wife drives the car a lot and I know I am going to hear about it.

I think the stock brakes were the worst I have ever seen on any car I have ever owned. Are you running 18 or 19 in tires? I am thinking about moving to a light 18 inch tire for a few reasons and finding R compound tires in a 19 is next to impossible not to mention the cost if you could find them?

As for brakes in a perfect world I could swap them out easily and use track only pads for the track and aggressive street pads for the street. I would love to be able to swap them out without any tools in just a few mins. Are you happy you went with Tein and would you do it all over again?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by macmovieman
.... I think the stock brakes were the worst I have ever seen on any car I have ever owned. Are you running 18 or 19 in tires? I am thinking about moving to a light 18 inch tire for a few reasons and finding R compound tires in a 19 is next to impossible not to mention the cost if you could find them? ...
The general consensus of those who track their car is that the stock brakes with some simple upgrades are pretty effective. After all they are good enough to invoke the ABS on a dry road so that means the tires are the limiting factor to slowing you down.

The best brake upgrade is better tires as, after all, it is the tires that limit braking.

Then the general recommendation is;
1) a good DOT4 fluid, e.g ATE or Motul, that should be flushed yearly and bled as required during the season
2) better pads - how hard you drive depends on what you need. I'm now running CarboTech XP10 front and XP8 rear but am going to try XP10 on the rear
3) Front brake cooling - very important especially on short tracks which don't allow the brakes to cool properly between corners
4) SS brake lines

If you are really running hard with the stock front calipers they will tend to distort and end up looking like a V instead of a U. This shows up as uneven pad wear.

5) BBK - the GT500 kit is good value with lot's of pad choices and rotors are pretty cheap.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:43 AM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

I dont change the edfc on the road unless im up for a spirited drive through freeway onramps and offramps.

as for stiffness, its still somewhat stiff on full soft. I ask all my female passengers what they think of the ride, havent had any complaints on the harshness, although they do feel a difference.

im running 19s, the closest R compound for mine is the pirelli corsa dot tire which comes in at about $2k for a set

since i got my teins used and for a hell of a good price, i cant complain there. Now, if i was paying full price? I would have gone with the V3. Theres a problem with the sway bar endlink placement on the tein shock body, even with the adj, sway bar endlink, i can only get it to the least stiffest setting on my sway bars. even at the shortest, the adj. endlinks are too long to fit into the stiffest sway bar hole.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:24 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
The general consensus of those who track their car is that the stock brakes with some simple upgrades are pretty effective. After all they are good enough to invoke the ABS on a dry road so that means the tires are the limiting factor to slowing you down.

The best brake upgrade is better tires as, after all, it is the tires that limit braking.

Then the general recommendation is;
1) a good DOT4 fluid, e.g ATE or Motul, that should be flushed yearly and bled as required during the season
2) better pads - how hard you drive depends on what you need. I'm now running CarboTech XP10 front and XP8 rear but am going to try XP10 on the rear
3) Front brake cooling - very important especially on short tracks which don't allow the brakes to cool properly between corners
4) SS brake lines

If you are really running hard with the stock front calipers they will tend to distort and end up looking like a V instead of a U. This shows up as uneven pad wear.

5) BBK - the GT500 kit is good value with lot's of pad choices and rotors are pretty cheap.

Agent 47 lower grille w/ cooling ducts ftw!