Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Squeaking noise from rear

Old 09-01-2010, 05:44 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I've had a random squeak coming from the rear of my car over the past 2 months or so. Mine was mainly on tip in/ tip out. It turned out that the rear brake pad spring moved out of place and was scraping the caliper. I ended up swapping the inside pad to the outside and outside to inside. Now I have brake squeal haha. I assume once I apply some anti-squeal to the backplates of the pads, my issue will be fixed. I also noticed the clutch pedal squeak as well when I was searching for this problem. I tend to never notice the clutch pedal squeak when the engine is running though, so I don't think that was the original source of either of my squeaks.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:12 PM
cstich08

OP I think I'm having the exact same problem. its a squeak that seems to be coming from the driver's side of the car. sometimes I hear it and think that its coming from around the front wheels and other times from the back, mostly back. but squeaks are hard to pinpoint. I hear it when I have load on the driveline, particularly when the revs are very low and I begin to accelerate. it seems like the more load the louder it is, for example, when I'm on an incline it's more noticable. I hear it in every gear but it seems to be worst when starting from a stop and when I'm in 5th with low revs. It's been there for about 2 months and has been getting worse. I'd love to know what it is so I can fix it.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:08 AM
mmarsh3014
1st Gear Member

So just an update...

I had my car at the dealer yesterday, and with all the rain in the Northeast, it seemed to quiet the noise down. Anyhow, my mechanic said he noticed rub marks on the Ebrake cable where it passes through the rear LCA. He put a piece of rubber around the cable in an attempt to quiet the noise. So when it dries up around here, I'll be keeping an ear out for it. Hopefully that helps, because that squeek is just annoying
Old 10-02-2010, 11:40 AM
pilotxj

I have the exact same squeak on an 06 GT. It squeaks when shifting under moderate to heavy acceleration (as the suspension settles back to static levels). Also if I back up and brake hard, it will squeak as it settles. I found the same rub marks on the parking brake cables and coated them with white lithium grease, to no avail. I also got under the rear and sprayed silicone on every bushing (Control arms, sway bar, muffler mounts), no luck. I will be very interested to hear if the rubber solved your problem.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:21 AM
Markus989
1st Gear Member

I have a very similar problem sounds like a squeak but i can only make it happen while driving over a bumpy road. Ive done the same type of jouncing the suspension and i cant re create is at all. My shocks def arnt oily granted i have about 65k miles. Ill have to peak around my ebrake cable see maybe if i have the same kinda rub issue cuz the ****s really annoyinging. Ive also heard it may also be a spring isolater as they dry out over time. But im guessing ur 09 dosnt have anywhere near 60k miles lol
Old 11-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Black121
1st Gear Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by cstich08
OP I think I'm having the exact same problem. its a squeak that seems to be coming from the driver's side of the car. sometimes I hear it and think that its coming from around the front wheels and other times from the back, mostly back. but squeaks are hard to pinpoint. I hear it when I have load on the driveline, particularly when the revs are very low and I begin to accelerate. it seems like the more load the louder it is, for example, when I'm on an incline it's more noticable. I hear it in every gear but it seems to be worst when starting from a stop and when I'm in 5th with low revs. It's been there for about 2 months and has been getting worse. I'd love to know what it is so I can fix it.
This is literally what I got on here to find out how to resolve. I have an 07 GT/CS and the **** is driving me freaking batty. I have SLP's on the car and that is the ONLY thing I want to hear her vocalize in addition to the intake whine. I have completely disassembled everything that can be removed from my trunk and back seats (even taken them out). I have pinpointed the noise to definitely be coming from the side quarter panel behind the driver's seat and possibly in the undercarriage in that direct area. I have been under the car for hours pushing and pulling on anything that can move and it is all tight and silent. I'm at my wits end and it is even audibly loud outside the car as well. It is most prevalent from first and second and under initial load while the frame and drive train are pressured by the tension from the torque and inertia of forward movement. It will squeak again once I shift which releases everything from the forward thrust (gravitational pull). The best way I can describe it is, from first, second, and sometimes third, whatever makes your head go back under acceleration makes it squeak, then whatever makes your head come forward during a shift, makes it squeak, then it's gone. Am I losing my damn mind or can we find a fix?!?!?!?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:18 PM
shakrr
1st Gear Member

I hope this helps you I had a squeak that drove me nuts also over the right rear tire that would come and go bumps made it worse and found that after my exhaust heated up the Bassani tips would move and rub on the bumper. when the exhaust cools down after a few minutes the tips would go back to center
Old 11-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Black121
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by shakrr
I hope this helps you I had a squeak that drove me nuts also over the right rear tire that would come and go bumps made it worse and found that after my exhaust heated up the Bassani tips would move and rub on the bumper. when the exhaust cools down after a few minutes the tips would go back to center
I wish that did help me. I've already checked the clearances on the exhaust everywhere as that is what I believed was the culprit. I did notice today after driving around a while after putting everything back together, that it seemed to lessen to some degree after the car was warm. Scratching my damn head..................
Old 11-06-2010, 12:27 AM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

My car had a difficult to diagnose squeak, which sounded like it came from the rear suspension. Heard it when going over even small bumps in the road. Dealer replaced one of the rear shocks and was about to replace the sway bar when a sharp service writer jumped in the back seat and found the source to be in the driver's side seat belt retraction mechanism. He had the interior guys make some adjustments and after that I never heard the noise again. Sometimes the source of noise heard inside the car is difficult to pin point.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6-Speed
a sharp service writer jumped in the back seat and found the source to be in the driver's side seat belt retraction mechanism. He had the interior guys make some adjustments and after that I never heard the noise again. Sometimes the source of noise heard inside the car is difficult to pin point.
Do you know what they did or where in the mechanism the noise was coming from?

Norm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaking noise from rear