Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

New Blizzaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 AM
3rdgenUAW

Default New Blizzaks

hey everyone, Im new to the forum, just got new snow tires installed , I am going to try to follow up several times this winter with pics and hopefully some video of how my mustang does in the snow. I used this forum and several others to decide that I could drive it year round but was looking for something more comprehensive, possibly this thread will help others with the winter issue.

I live in WI and have about a 45 mile drive one way to work so I should get plenty of experiences to report!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

My 2007 was great last winter here in PA on a set of Pirelli 210 Sottozero's....

I think you'll have no issue.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:55 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Back in the dinosaur days, several years ago, I used the latest Blizzak tires on my sport coupe. Those were the LM-22. They were fine in the snow, but the driving performance wasn't as good as the summer-only tires.

The next sport coupe had the LM-25 Blizzaks. They were also fine in the snow, as good as a Jeep, but the dry performance was acceptable. It made tolerating the winter w/ snow-only tires okay.

My bet is the latest Blizzaks are even better.

This vehicle will be fine w/ four snow-only tires. I get them on a spare set of wheels to make the spring / fall swap easy. Plus a mounted tire comes in handy when tire damage happens.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:07 PM
RoadRacer78
1st Gear Member

I drove a friend’s 400awhp WRX STi in the snow with some of them on……WOW! That’s about as much fun as you can have with your pants on.

I couldn’t believe how well they hooked up. They hooked up as well as my F-150 does with 33x12.50 BFG All Terrain’s (now Nitto Terra Grapplers) which are no slouch in the snow, and the truck is HEAVY!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Been eyeing a set of steel rims and blizzaks at tire rack, the set of 4 that will fit my car is like 900 bucks.

How do you like them (so far) when it's not snowing? Got the summer rubber on there now, probably be fine for the next few weeks.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:12 AM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Meester_Vapor
Been eyeing a set of steel rims and blizzaks at tire rack, the set of 4 that will fit my car is like 900 bucks.
Sometimes Tire Rack has "take offs" rims, that are low-mileage rims that are great for this application.

The result is lightly-used factory rims for ~$50 each versus new steel rims for ~$25 each.

It is a much better appearance, if they are available.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:46 PM
3rdgenUAW

Default update on blizzaks

well I drove two trips on the hwy, so far they seem about the same as the all season pirellis I had on before but there is a bit of "softness" to them. Also I got them mounted up for 608.00 from a local tire place, didn't think that was to bad. but I did have to have a stud replaced...52.00!!!

I will get pics posted up this weekend.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 PM
3rdgenUAW

Have had the snows on for about 2000 miles now and have had some cold days and a few cold rainy days. I can say that the grip is excellent and the car handles more like the summer rubber when the temps begin to drop. One caveat ... I did add 80lbs of weight in the back and that combined with my amp and sub setup seems to be a great combo of weight to stick the tires to the ground. I am no driving 50 miles one way for work thru hwy and cty roads so I will update as the winter progresses.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:16 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

could you post the model of blizzaks you purchased, the size, and what wheel (oem, steel, aftermarket) you put them on?

thanks.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:26 AM
jw2010

Hey 3rdgen--what part of Cheeseland are you in?? I grew up in Wisconsin Rapids--part of learning to drive c.1977 was learning how a rear-wheel-drive vehicle handled in 8" of fresh snow!! Moved to Chicagoland in 1986--Blizzaks on my Camaros (1989 IROC and 1997 Z28 1LE) worked well through anything N.Ill. could throw at me.

JW

Quick Reply: New Blizzaks