Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Rear end feels 'loose'

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:03 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

The sideways movement of the rear end as the suspension is pitty-patter'ing on rough roads is the whole point of ditching a panhard bar.

There are two ways round this, you can either reduce the deflection of the rear end by tying it down with upgraded shocks and/or springs, or you simply eliminate the Panhard bar, replacing it with a Watts linkage.

You could uprade the bushings on and around the Panhard bar all you want which will, to a small degree, reduce the lateral excursions, but you'll never eliminate it fully, it's the nature of the beast
Old 11-07-2010, 07:08 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Dont just stop there, prothane the carp out of your stang.
You will be glad you did.
Front the front/rear sway bar bushings to the motor mounts to the
shifter bushings, its all good (and a cheap upgrade you do at home).
Good advice but beware that every bushing you "poly' will add noise/vibration to the car too. Individually not much, but cumulatively you'll start to feel the effects fairly quickly. Soft Rubber bushings provide the magic carpet ride we all come to expect, reducing bushing compliancy IS the point of Poly items after all.
I would rather suggest you initially poly the bushings that are directly associated with something you want to fix or tighten up and continue on from there monitoring the ride quality as you go

Last edited by marcuskeeler; 11-07-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:41 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yea, good point.
I only did the front rear sways and the panhard along with the shifter.
I like the feel of driving her a lot more than driving the cushy Challenger.
Maybe I should retract the 'poly the carp out of her' comment.
But the sway bar polys would be the next item for him.
Then the shifter polys.
I dont suspect the Prothane line gives you any more options
besides the poly engine mounts.
More NVH is not liked by all.
Personally I like it.
Makes me feel in touch with the suspension.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

^^ i read a few articles about the poly bushings and did notice most talked about increased noise/vibrations. i think i'll probably try the bushings for the panhard (can't beat a $16 upgrade ), then if that doesn't work, i'll go with the shocks/struts (might as well replace them all rather than just the rears ).

couple more sub-questions if you all don't mind... of all the shock/strut sets i've looked at, i'm leaning for the koni str.t (like koto mentioned, and from what i've read about them, they seem to give the best performance for a dd)... so would anyone else second that? or is there another brand i should look into?

also, for the panhard, would it be worth replacing on a daily driver, or would the upgraded bushings be suitable enough?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Sneak up on your solution.

Do the Koni STR.T's first and drive it for a while. Koni yellows are another possibility (at a higher price point that buys you the adjustabiliity). Tokico D-specs are another adjustable choice that was probably the preferred option before the Koni yellows became available.

Most times, people replace the PHB in order to gain length adjustability to correct the slight shift in lateral axle location that seems to happen when the car is lowered or to help fit wide tires equally into the two rear wheelwells.

Actually, I'm not even sure whether stiffer PHB bushings would solve this problem or make it worse.

Norm
Old 11-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Karnage541
1st Gear Member

Like everybody said sounds like your shocks need replacing.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kotobuki
Not that Sam needs me backing him up, but this is the right thing. I called Sam up a while ago with the same concerns. I thought something like a Watts Link ($650 part) that kept the axle from shifting while it moved was the way to go. He suggested a pair of Koni STR.Ts ($150) instead. I couldn't have been happier with the results. Before I even got the car out of the driveway I could feel the difference. I don't have that skittish jumpy side to side kick feeling any more, and the car feels much more composed at all times now.
^^^ I think that says it all. Before/after comparison. Simply, to the point. Shocks are item number 1 to be changed when stability or ride quality are concerns.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

gotcha; i've been considering changing shocks for a while but never really had a 'good' reason to... and now i do .

i usually like to 'upgrade' when whatever part i'm changing is worn out; due to a lack of 'extra' income, i'm never able to bring myself to upgrade a part that still works fine... since it sounds like mine need replaced, i don't feel like it'll 'hurt my wallet' as bad

thanks for the help guys
Old 11-10-2010, 12:14 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

It's all good but keep in mind that there is a big difference between something that's not performing properly (worn out) and something which is less than perfect 'by design'.

Changing the spring rates and/or shock damping levels will reduce the rear end compression/rebound which will have a resultant positive effect on the lateral instability but understand what's happening - You are merely reducing the sideways travel by limiting the up/down travel which may or may not be to your liking.
With a Panhard bar you cannot eliminate the swing-arm effect unless you replace the rear suspension with blocks, it's impossible. If the rear end goes up or down, the rear end is moving laterally - Fact

It doesn't have to move much either, the sharper/quicker the suspension compression the more pronounced the effect of the lateral shift will be. Like when you run over a big crack in the road and you feel the rear skip one way or the other, or you're dragging away at the lights and as you grab 2nd and the rear squats causing the car to be squirrel'y, it's the rear end momentarily hopping to the right/left.

A Watts isn't cheap but in many ways it's a vice free mod. You don't have to compromise your ride heights or suspension compliance, especially if you go with a setup with bushings rather than heim joints...

The only reason things like watts setups are not factory fitted is cost.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

There are two issues here, what a Watts link does and what better shocks do are not the same thing.

There are a number of reasons to start with shocks first. They cost less. They almost universally make the car much better in both ride and handling. You'll notice that the complaint is more over bumps then all the time.... and a PHB is always swinging in an arc. Shocks aren't always working in the same piston speed range.

Hey I'm a big believer in Watts links being better than PHB's. But I'm also practical, and having had numerous cars with both Watts and PHB's and various shocks I'll tell you without doubt if I could only change the shocks OR the PHB, it's would everytime be the shocks first. That's the bigger issue, and the poor damping control is the primary reason these things hop and skip and jump around so much. Better dampers settle the back down a lot, especially where small, sharp, high piston speed impacts are concerned.

A Watts link is a better lateral control device to be sure, but the problems come first and foremost from the dampers.

Quick Reply: Rear end feels 'loose'