Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

LCA Relocation Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RoadRacer78
Why doesn’t the FR500C or FR500GT have relocation brackets? Rules? They decided they don’t work? Etc?

I’ve recently talked to a very fast track day driver who said they were a nightmare so he went back to stock. And a few weeks back was in the shop of a very big team that runs FR500 and prepped S197’s (I won’t drop their name because its not my place) and out of a dozen cars not one had relocation brackets on them.

The FR500CJ has them though so I’m pretty sure Ford knows about them.

What gives?
With axle side LCA pivot point height as the only variable, you get to directly compromise anti-squat off against axle roll steer. For the drag racer (and likely the FR500CJ), the axle steer price you pay (generally an oversteerish tendency) for gaining A/S is worth it, since hard cornering isn't part of the program (and you can mitigate it with skinny front tires that won't let you develop much lat-g). For the road racer, it's generally not.

If you had full freedom to relocate all sorts of other pivots in any direction and by any amount, you might be able to dial in more A/S while still making it possible to have minimal roll steer and retain a sane rear geo roll center height. Maybe then you wouldn't have to crutch things quite so much via the distribution of roll stiffness or run springs at one end or the other that you wouldn't choose otherwise (that could possibly compromise pitch behavior). That does sound rather like starting from scratch, though.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-11-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:29 PM
RoadRacer78
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
With axle side LCA pivot point height as the only variable, you get to directly compromise anti-squat off against axle roll steer. For the drag racer (and likely the FR500CJ), the axle steer price you pay (generally an oversteerish tendency) for gaining A/S is worth it, since hard cornering isn't part of the program (and you can mitigate it with skinny front tires that won't let you develop much lat-g). For the road racer, it's generally not.

If you had full freedom to relocate all sorts of other pivots in any direction and by any amount, you might be able to dial in more A/S while still making it possible to have minimal roll steer and retain a sane rear geo roll center height. Maybe then you wouldn't have to crutch things quite so much via the distribution of roll stiffness or run springs at one end or the other that you wouldn't choose otherwise (that could possibly compromise pitch behavior). That does sound rather like starting from scratch, though.

Norm
I think I phrased that wrong….again. I understand how they work/what they do (why I don't have any). What I am wondering is there consensus on the relo brackets as a bolt on for “spirited cornering”? It looks and sounds as if they are not a good idea, but a lot of people seem to run them.

Last edited by RoadRacer78; 11-11-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If you aren't lowered, relo brackets will most likely hurt the roll steer more than they help corner exit forward traction. You lose if the brief advantage of the geometric component of wheel loading from acceleration is wiped out by slower corner speed, or if it's trickier to drive and you leave more on the table. Or if the anti-squat is sufficiently unequal side to side.

There are people who think that having LESS anti-squat is beneficial for very serious autocross (think A-Mod).

Norm
Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Red-GT500
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RoadRacer78
I think I phrased that wrong….again. I understand how they work/what they do (why I don't have any). What I am wondering is there consensus on the relo brackets as a bolt on for “spirited cornering”? It looks and sounds as if they are not a good idea, but a lot of people seem to run them.
"Sprinted Cornering" isnt what a 550 HP muscle car is for... Ya i know a lot of people do enjoy the occassional run through a curvy road but i could car less about that as long as i can get better traction in a straight line. Besides this car isnt the best for cornering anyway. If you so much as give it a light tap on the gas in a corner its going to spin because of the limited diff and higher HP, ohh and the crappy stock tires.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red-GT500
"Sprinted Cornering" isnt what a 550 HP muscle car is for... Ya i know a lot of people do enjoy the occassional run through a curvy road but i could car less about that as long as i can get better traction in a straight line. Besides this car isnt the best for cornering anyway. If you so much as give it a light tap on the gas in a corner its going to spin because of the limited diff and higher HP, ohh and the crappy stock tires.
That's some pretty ignorant gibberish. I think most on this subforum would differ with your assertion.

As for relocation brackets that lower the rear mounting point for a corner carver, don't do it if they will be creating a downward slope (i.e. front of the LCA is higher than the rear). When I was running the Eibach ProKit I put on the CHE brackets and the rollsteer was *very* noticable on corner entry.

Now, if you are talking the Steeda brackets which give you a range of adjustment, that's a different story. You can use those brackets to get your arms back to level, instead of the upward slope (i.e. front of the LCA is lower than the rear) and roll understeer lowering springs create.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:05 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If you so much as give it a light tap on the gas in a corner its going to spin because of the limited diff and higher HP, ohh and the crappy stock tires.
No, it isn't going to be as forgiving as something with less power.

Yes, it does mean that you have to learn how to drive it more smoothly. Think squeeze, not tap. "Light tap on the gas in a corner" makes me cringe just to read it; I wouldn't even drive my 160 HP Mazda that way.

Maybe it even means that you need to slow down the rate of initial throttle opening with a tune that isn't dragstrip in nature. Given the apparent typical road conditions of grip out your way, this likely won't even cost any real-world straight line performance since you can't use all you've got anyway. But it will make the car friendlier to drive and a lot less likely to end up getting wadded up.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-12-2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Red-GT500
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Import_Slaya
That's some pretty ignorant gibberish. I think most on this subforum would differ with your assertion.

As for relocation brackets that lower the rear mounting point for a corner carver, don't do it if they will be creating a downward slope (i.e. front of the LCA is higher than the rear). When I was running the Eibach ProKit I put on the CHE brackets and the rollsteer was *very* noticable on corner entry.

Now, if you are talking the Steeda brackets which give you a range of adjustment, that's a different story. You can use those brackets to get your arms back to level, instead of the upward slope (i.e. front of the LCA is lower than the rear) and roll understeer lowering springs create.
Well when a traction forum comes along ill stop posting "ignorant gibberish". I understand that LCAs lower ther rear point of the LCA to give a slight upward push on the frame of the car to give less wheel hop and a little better traction. Like i said in my gibberish talk i could careless how the car corners i dont like racing through corners, all i want is 0-60 in under 4 seconds.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Red-GT500
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
No, it isn't going to be as forgiving as something with less power.

Yes, it does mean that you have to learn how to drive it more smoothly. Think squeeze, not tap. "Light tap on the gas in a corner" makes me cringe just to read it; I wouldn't even drive my 160 HP Mazda that way.

Maybe it even means that you need to slow down the rate of initial throttle opening with a tune that isn't dragstrip in nature. Given the apparent typical road conditions of grip out your way, this likely won't even cost any real-world straight line performance since you can't use all you've got anyway. But it will make the car friendlier to drive and a lot less likely to end up getting wadded up.

Norm
By tap on the gas i mean almost to the point of even applying any gas, Las Vegas is a huge dirt bowl and any road that isnt a major road has so much grit on it that doing anything more than letting off the gas and coasting through the corner = sliding.

When i first got the car i was coming off of an '06 GT and i could go through a turn at light throttle and never have a worry. With this car doing that is a drifters paradise. Now i usually slow for the curve, let it coast throught the turn and apply gas slowly on exit. Now on well driven roads it can take a bit more but the roads i take on my way to a from work are on the outer edge of vegas and get covered in dirt everyday so i gotta baby it.

Also, I know the Relocation brackets will cause me to have some oversteer and thats fine with me. I just like the straight line acceleration of these cars, Road racing or curvey roads is nice but mustangs arent the best suited for that kind of driving. Dont get me wrong i know they are decent at it but like i said before its just not my thing.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

i could careless how the car corners i dont like racing through corners, all i want is 0-60 in under 4 seconds.
That's a real bummer cause' that car you have was redesigned with a lighter front end (aluminum block) so the f/r ratio is optimum for doing just that (cornering). That thing would be a beast of a roadcourse car.

I've had two different brands of relocation brackets, had them on/off the car and tried every setting on them. My car is lowered ~1.25'' rear and the BMR's set to the nearest (highest) hole to stock is ever so slightly angled down to the rear. I don't notice any rollsteer now with the slight downangle but when I had it set to the lowest hole and the angle was more severe I surely did! Downright scary.

I also think the traction you gain from them is overrated. I was never amazed at the extra traction I got. It may hook a bit sooner or later but it wasn't anything major. Larger/stickier tires (I ran nitto 305/35 drag radials on the street for awhile) made a much, much bigger improvement in traction than the LCA brackets ever did.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
That's a real bummer cause' that car you have was redesigned with a lighter front end (aluminium block) so the f/r ratio is optimum for doing just that (cornering). That thing would be a beast of a road course car.
That was my thought exactly.

I started dreaming about running at Mosport with one. With a set of R-comps and some good brake pads it would be awesome and wouldn't hit a brick wall like mine does now on the back straight!

Then reality set in.

Quick Reply: LCA Relocation Brackets