Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Wheel Spacer Size?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Question Wheel Spacer Size?

I currently am running 18x10's all the way around with
275/40/18's.

I was thinking of adding some wheel spacers to the back wheels
to make the back tires stick out a bit further.
Right now they are even with the fender and I would like them
to stick out a bit to give a more aggressive look.

I don't want them to be obnoxious though.
I'd like them to stick out about 1/4inch out of the fender
I'm not sure if 1/2 would be too much or not.

I spoke with a buddy of mine who works at the dealership and
he said 1inch would be TOO much of a spacer.
I need some tips on what size I should get and where I can get them.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:33 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

I've read these work well. The 5mm spacers just slide on.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:32 AM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5 Dot 0
I've read these work well. The 5mm spacers just slide on.
3-5mm spacers are generally used for caliper clearance with certain wheels. It's not something that would really be noticeable from a style standpoint.

Though, I think stance should be accomplished through wheel and tire, if you want to use them, it sounds like (based on the specs you gave) you should go with 20-25mm spacers. (25mm = 1 in) This will take you from your current 1/2 inch inside the fender, to about 1/3 inch "outside" (the curve of your tire wall actually keeps it just inside but it will *look* like it's oustide). Just about what you're looking for.

Remember a few things though. First, they're not really a "performance" mod and I've heard that if you spend your time at the track (or even if you like to "drive hard") you will regret it. Damage is eminent. Second, while it does improve the overall aggressive stance, it kinda makes your brakes look funny being really deep-set.

So: good from a distance, but ugly up close.

For the record, I've thought about using them myself, but my 295s in the back look well enough... so I never got around to it.

You can get a pair at AmericanMuscle for 100 bucks

Last edited by Fifthwind; 11-18-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:23 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

If it can cause damage then screw that.
Also you misread my post.

I am not 1/2 inch inside the fender. I am flush with the fender.
I said I wanted to be 1/2-1 inch outside the fender.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

As mentioned, spacers are frequently used to give clearance for big calipers. I use 3/8" worth of spacers on the front of my Vette to allow the OEM wheels to clear my calipers. A couple things to keep in mind: depending on how thick the spacer is you may need longer wheel studs so that you still have enough thread. If you do put in longer studs, go with a premium brand like ARP - very strong and you won't have any stud related issues. Also, when you start getting really thick spacers like 3/4-1" you are effectively giving your car a wider track and longer lever arm on the springs, thus it can reduce your spring rate. You are also putting more stress on the hubs and bearings. Personally I wouldn't use more than 1/2 in on a routinely driven car.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

I really doubt you are flush with your fenders, because of the curve of the wheel wall to tread, it can almost be an optical illusion. If it turns out that you are flush... then the stance should already look great.

To get an accurate measurement of where the tire sits in relation to the well, run a straight-edge across the fender and then run a ruler perpendicular to see how much clearance you have from the straight-edge to the widest part of the wheel. Then you can decide EXACTLY what size spacer to use to get the distance outside the wheel you want.

The measurements I gave you were based on your post stating that your dealership friend said that 1 inch was TOO big. But, now in your response, you say that you WANT to be up to 1 inch outside.

If that's the case, then 25-30mm would be in order.

There are a lot of haters around here, but if it's the look that you want, they are a proven technology that have been used safely (for daily drivers) for over 50 years.

Last edited by Fifthwind; 11-18-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:33 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

All I can think about is the Hondas I used to see about 10 years ago.... Lowered like 3 inchs with wide 13" rims and HUGE spacers so the tire stuck out like 1/2 way.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:57 AM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

For those who use their car as a daily driver, it really comes down to a styling mod, and like all styling mods, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you're not pulling 1G turns or burning up your brakes or rubber, they're fine and won't cause any problems. It's just a question of whether or not you like the look.

I don't really like them... but there are plenty who do, and I'm not one to judge. After all, I mod *my* care the way *I* want, and everyone else has the same right.

So, on that note, I say go for it. As for the exact measurements, you will want Blacksmoke, I would suggest the following:

Jack up one side of the car and remove a wheel. incrementally stack washers on the hub and put the tire back on (finger tight only and DON'T drive LOL) then stand back and look at it. Continue to do this until you have the look you want, then pull the washers off, stack them on a table and take an exact measure. Voilą! Then you will know EXACTLY what to get.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:03 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I don't want it to look cheap or ricey that's for sure.

If it is going to do that then I'll just wait until I get a set of
Nitto 555Rs for the back and go with a 305 tire.

Here is what I would like the back tires to kind of look like...
This is a member's sig... front black stang...

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 11-19-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

I really don't understand the obsession with being anti-ricey. Sure, there are certain things that are clearly over the top, but some people are so obsessed with avoiding "rice" that a carbon-fiber chin spoiler or a colored shift **** would be off limits.

A one inch spacer is not rice. It'll give you the look that you want.

On that note, I find it odd that Muscle Car owners that are quick to scream "Ricer!" don't seem to have a problem putting 20's on a lowered car. There's NOTHING "muscle" about that either.

The anti-rice crowd have become a cult following where it has become "hip" to not like anything rice. It's like how everyone hated Nickleback just for the sake of it, because everyone else does too. LOL

No one will hate you. Get the spacers. Based on your comments and posted pics... you're gonna love the look.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacer Size?