Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Bought car slammed, now damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 PM
imboden
1st Gear Member

Default Bought car slammed, now damage

Bought my 2006 GT already slammed, so no idea what suspension was in it, maybe just lowering springs? Anyways.

ROUGH ride. Rough enough that I hit a good bump and my borla exhaust bracket broke.

So, would like something a little softer, whats the best setup to run? -2 inches? Just not sure. Love the way it looks right now, but realize that it won't be practical.

Also planning on buying a Roush front bumper anyways, so maybe I need to change it a bit!

Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 PM
RAT281
2nd Gear Member

my frpp k springs are pretty comfortable and not too harsh
Old 01-26-2011, 10:46 AM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Found the Steeda Sport springs less harsh on my '06 than the FRPP/Eibachs (1 inch drop).
Also look at your rim size. They appear to be 20 inchers. These are going to be harsh no matter what. 18 inch with more sidewall will give you far better ride. Check the tops of the shock/struts. They may be adjustable so you might be able to soften things up.

Cheers.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Take a pic of the springs, then we can tell which ones they are.

Reason for the harsh ride is because the previous owner did not buy the supporting mods for lowering the S197. You probably only need some new shocks and you should be fine. The stock shocks/struts aren't designed to be used in conjunction with lowering springs.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd certainly start with replacing the 20's then go from there. You may find you have little to nothing to do to the suspension. Besides looking better, the extra sidewall will absorb some of that harshness.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:54 PM
awsomeaussies206
2nd Gear Member

I had my 20's on stock suspenstion for a couple years and the ride was good imo. My car looks the same height as yours and I ended up lowering it with H&R's and Koni shocks and the ride was rougher. Not bad compared to other lowered cars I've been in, but I think your problem is they probably lowered it without upgrading the shocks/struts.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Until we find out what springs they are, it's kind of a moot point. Some are better than others, even with stock dampers (which is never ideal, especially with the 20" wheel/tires), some just suck.

Call me crazy, but I think it'd be helpful to know what the springs are (even if you can tell me the color that would be a start, maybe take a few pics of the rears that can help figure it out if there are no markings on them). I can say right now that better dampers will improve the ride, for sure--but better dampers can't make springs that are just too short or too stiff magically taller or softer.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:59 PM
imboden
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies. Still kinda figuring this stuff out. Different then the Harley Davidson thats for sure. The rough ride makes sense with shorter springs. Don't mind it much as long as the car doesn't get damaged in the process. Anyways. Ok, struts next.

So I'm a fireman and I'm workin a 48 hour shift at my station, but when i get home I'll crawl under and snap a few photos and see what I see.

I do love the 20's, on that same token it's time for new tires right now. Maybe some deep dish 18's would look ok?

Whatcha guys think?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:03 PM
imboden
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by awsomeaussies206
I had my 20's on stock suspenstion for a couple years and the ride was good imo. My car looks the same height as yours and I ended up lowering it with H&R's and Koni shocks and the ride was rougher. Not bad compared to other lowered cars I've been in, but I think your problem is they probably lowered it without upgrading the shocks/struts.
Man, nice to see somebody else from WA on here. I work in Woodinville and I live in Chehalis.

Anyways, I love the way ur car looks! What size and kinda rims you got on that thing?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:37 PM
awsomeaussies206
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by imboden
Man, nice to see somebody else from WA on here. I work in Woodinville and I live in Chehalis.

Anyways, I love the way ur car looks! What size and kinda rims you got on that thing?
I didn't notice you were from Washington... not to many of us on here I'm on the west side around Auburn/Federal Way. I have the Bullitt Motosport Deep Dish wheels from Cruizin Concepts. 20x8.5 up front and 20x10 in the rear. Your car looks great btw also!

Quick Reply: Bought car slammed, now damage