Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

panhard bar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 04:10 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

Default panhard bar?

hi im basically trying to make a drift car at the momment. i saw a craigslist ad for panhard bar pretty cheap and i was wondering if the panhard bar makes a huge difference in drifting?? is it worth getting the mod on our live rear axles??

thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 04:19 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

AS long as its adjustable it will help you with those springs of yours
Old 04-07-2011, 04:58 PM
JimC

You realize that the car comes with a panhard bar right? So unless this cheap one is an adjustable one from the aftermarket it doesn't offer any performance advantage.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:19 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
You realize that the car comes with a panhard bar right? So unless this cheap one is an adjustable one from the aftermarket it doesn't offer any performance advantage.
Not true!!

replacing the stock PHB with a stronger one with stiffer bushings helps to make the rearmore stable and predictable in the turns. Biggest difference I noticed was with the stock PHB, my stang would tend to step to the side some when hittin a bump during a turn. PHB took care of that. I got one w/poly bushing on one end and roto-joint on the other (UMI).

Don't know how a PHB affects the car for drifting though...
Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 PM
JimC

I don't doubt your experienceSilverHoss, but if he is looking at a cheap one on Craigslist I bet it is simply a take off stock unit.

I would think though that replacing the LCA and UCA would give more of the difference that you saw. It did on mine - but I've never replaced the panhard since the tires seem to be centered fine. Although I can see where upgrading some of the component parts of the panhard would tighten things up.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

The purpose of the PHB is to control lateral movement of the rear axle. It has very little effect on roll stiffness. A "drift" is nothing more than power oversteer. There are lots of things the pro guys do to make their cars do the awesome drifts but without getting all crazy the simplest thing you can do is increase the rear roll stiffness and decrease the front. Put a very stiff sway bar in the rear and a soft one in the front.

But seriously - you want to drift a 6'er?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:52 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
The purpose of the PHB is to control lateral movement of the rear axle. It has very little effect on roll stiffness. A "drift" is nothing more than power oversteer. There are lots of things the pro guys do to make their cars do the awesome drifts but without getting all crazy the simplest thing you can do is increase the rear roll stiffness and decrease the front. Put a very stiff sway bar in the rear and a soft one in the front.

But seriously - you want to drift a 6'er?
Trust me i can get this 6er sideways... but imma get a v8 in about a year. saving up

also the PHB is BMR suspension.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:09 PM
John@TrackspecMotorsports
Former Sponsor

From a control standpoint, as Argonaut stated the panhard bar's sole purpose in life is to located the rear axle laterally. Considering the type of driving you are doing, the panhard bar is going to play a large roll in controlling your drift as it is the sole member on your chassis taking the load when throwing her sideways. With factory bushing that are soft and mushy, control during cornering or drifting is compromised since there is a lot of compliance in the rubber bushings. I am no drifiting expert, but i know drifting requires chassis precision to make the vehicle more predictable and repeatable when seting her side ways.

So in short, will a panhard bar make your car drift better? No. It will give you better feedback, control, precision, and repeatability taking the slop out of the rear to give the driver positive input from the chassis to make the driver a better drifter!

Get it, it can only help your consistancy. And if its cheap, by all means get it!

John@trackspecmotorsports.com