Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Which Autocross class?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Dacam

Default Which Autocross class?

Hey guys,
I want to try my first autocross this month. For those experienced autoxers out there......What class am I going to be running in? Any advise on what to bring to the event and driving techniques.

Here is my car mods:
Stock suspension
Stock wheels and tires
Bama race tune
Airaid air intake
Steeda Billet LCA

Thanks
Old 05-03-2011, 12:33 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

If you put the OEM LCA's back on the car, you'd be in STX (Street Touring X). With the LCA's, you'll be in CP (C Prepared and you will get crushed there). My suggestion if this is a local SCCA event is to ask your STX competitors if they have a problem with you running the Steeda LCA's. I'd be willing to be they don't. If nobody objects prior to the race and you've asked, they can't object/protest after the race if you win.

If this is your first time out at an autocross, put zero emphasis on class/winning/competitors/mods/etc. Put all of your emphasis on how to learn how to drive your car and improve on your times. Try to find a seasoned rear-wheel drive driver to ride shotgun with you and critique your runs and give you pointers. In Atlanta, we have an excellent Novice program where noobs get assigned a Novice instructor for the day. Have a ton of fun, and don't beat yourself up if you don't do well your first time or two out. It is some of the most fun you can possibly have in your car. Enjoy it.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:29 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

I believe that with the LCAs you can run SM (Street Modified). You'll still get crushed in that class though (ask me how I know). See if your region has a novice or street tire class.

I agree with jsnyng on basically everything though. Biggest thing with a Mustang on stock suspension will be understeer... slow in, fast out is the way to take the corners. If you're getting chattering from the front end while turning, you need to go slower. Also, unless the lot is really small, get into 2nd gear and leave it there.

As far as what to bring, I don't bring a whole lot. Torque wrench, water bottle, magnetic numbers or painters tape to make numbers, air pressure gauge, helmet if you have one (Snell 2000 or newer). That should be about it. For the first few events just make sure that your wheels are torqued, your tires are aired up a bit (close to 40), and that you've got oil/coolant/brake fluid. If you'e like most people it will be a long time before your driving catches up to the car, so worry about that first.

Oh, and walk the course a lot! Like 3 times at least. Make sure you can drive through it in your head.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:41 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

BlackBetty is correct, and I was incorrect on the actual class you'd "legally" be running in. LCA's are legal in Street Modified.

Take advantage of the strengths of your car. It accelerates quickly in a straight line, and it brakes quickly in a straight line. Exploit those two traits to the fullest.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:05 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

jsnyng - Your car is gorgeous. That color is amazing.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Drink lots of water and don't use the parking brake and traction control off
Old 05-03-2011, 06:18 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackBetty
jsnyng - Your car is gorgeous. That color is amazing.
Thank you very much for the very kind compliment. It doesn't hurt that our region has a former autocrosser that is a professional photographer who takes amazing pictures. I do a good job of keeping it clean. Perry Bennett does an amazing job of making it look gorgeous with those action shots.

I'm still very much a newbie to autocross myself. I absolutely love it. This weekend I'm running the Tire Rack SCCA SOLO Atlanta National Tour race at Atlanta Motor Speedway. I'm so stoked about it because just two weeks ago I took the Evolution Performance Driving School down at the same location. I know where there's grip and where it is not. My region is also the host for the event, so I've got a little bit of a home field advantage. My car, even with all the mods I have, is still under-prepared to be Nationally competitive, but I'm danged sure going to try.

Back to my car for a minute, there was a little write-up about me in SoloMatters after the Dixie National Tour - http://solomatters.wordpress.com/201...ge-dixie-tour/ . I found out today that I'm being interviewed/featured in an upcoming magazine that is going to compare the oldest, most well prepared Mustang, Robert Lewis' '65 C Prepared car, vs. the newest bolt-on Street Prepared Mustang, mine. I'll be sure to publish the link here once it's done.

P.S. Your car is a head turner as well.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:56 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Thank you sir. If it ever stops raining here maybe I can get a new photo since I'm lowered now.

That's quite the start to autocross you've got there, and very cool getting that write up. Totally jealous of the Watts Link as well. Trying to avoid spending on fun mods right now since I'm anticipating a clutch replacement within a year or two here.

I ran in F Stock last year and that helped me to not spend more on mods but now that I'm in ESP I've opened a whole new can of worms!