Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

First track day report

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Drano38

Default First track day report

I did Mid America Motorplex’s driving school and open lapping Friday. Everything worked out great. But I’ve got a lot to learn! I don’t drive hard enough through the turns. And I was stupid enough to not find that little Overdrive Off button on the lower side of my automatic’s transmission shifter, so it kept shifting into OD. Of course I found it on the way home from the track.
Another Mustang was there, a 2008 GT500 with only 700 miles on it.
I ran with Traction Control off per an instructor’s recommendation, and several I’ve read on this site. Although a few of you say leave it on. I don’t know if it operates different on a 2010 than the 2005-9’s. But I wasn’t driving hard enough to make a difference.
The Carbotech XP10/XP8’s break pads worked great. When I have time I’ll install a California Special lower valance and brake cooling ducting, but not sure when that will be.
First mod needs to be an SCT tuner to wake up the automatic transmission.
And I’ll continue researching suspension mods. One of the guys at the dealer where I purchased my GT is a big Stang driver, and put Strano’s parts on his ’11 GT.
Phil, you’re right, turn 3 kicked my butt all day. Had a hard time getting wide out of turn 2 for a good setup into 3. 9/10/11 is tough too.
This afternoon I put Carbotech Bobcat pads in for street use.
Need to get the calendar straighten out to see when I can go again!
And the tool kit doesn’t need to be very big per most people’s recommendations. I’ll be down to a torque wrench next time. And a hat, chair, sunscreen, water/sports drink and some food is all I’ll need.
Thanks again for all the great advice from my posts over the last several weeks.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

The addiction begins. Glad you liked it and yes it is surprising how you go to a track day, thinking you are a good driver and get totally humbled when you realize how little you really know. And the worst part about it....the more you drive and the more you learn....the more your realize you still don't know sheet.

Last edited by Argonaut; 05-16-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Daffy

Nice report, good luck trying to keep priorities straight on your calendar, once you start, you really get hooked.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Glad you had a good time! I haven't been able to make it back yet this season, but one of these days...

9-10-11 is the most difficult section of the track for a Mustang, or at least it is compared to the RX-8 I was following (who was killing me in that section). The car handles well, but when you have quick transitions it takes a bit to settle down and there's not much time for settling down there . Turn 3 is the giant decreasing radius right hander that just feels slow in any car. Just have to be patient. Then turn 4 can feel a little dicey as it's bumpy, you're running right out to the edge of the track, and in my car anyway with a 5MT you are doing a 3-4 shift right at corner exit at 105mph or so. Shocks would help quite a bit in that one, I think, just to keep the car from feeling quite so skittish through there.

Anyway, glad you had fun, and hopefully I'll see you out there one of these Fridays.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:52 AM
joenmina1

Congrats! I can't wait to go back next month!
Any Pics?