Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Autocross today

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:43 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Default Autocross today

Just did my first autocross since receiving the much-delayed Koni sport front shocks (thanks Sam!). The lot was a mess (we had a Miata tear up chunks of pavement up on the starting straight) and very slippery but it was a blast. I also just got a GoPro camera so I took some videos. I put four runs together in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq_CQmOUpMg

If you go to 3:58 there is some beautiful V8 music to be heard.

The car is great with the new shocks and springs; by comparison the stock car felt like a Buick.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:19 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

your so lucky. the day i got my front shocks in i had to leave my baby for 6 weeks cant wait to get back and get them installed and go race!
Old 06-25-2011, 08:22 PM
BIGPHIL
1st Gear Member

Nice video man! I like the last angle when the camera is on the hood...haven't seen that one before. It appeared that the course was setup for speed! Not a single slalom to be had. anyways, great job!
Old 06-25-2011, 09:25 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys! Tiger, that's super lame but I promise you, it's worth the wait.

The course was pretty fast; I didn't realize how high I was in the revs until I watched the videos. Slaloms are the bane of my existence so I liked this course! Tomorrow, however, is a different story as the course we're setting up ends in a 6 cone slalom. I'm sure I'll have some videos of me plowing cones through that section.

I think I'll be doing more videos from the hood just because the intake noise sounds so good!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:48 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackBetty
Thanks guys! Tiger, that's super lame but I promise you, it's worth the wait.

The course was pretty fast; I didn't realize how high I was in the revs until I watched the videos. Slaloms are the bane of my existence so I liked this course! Tomorrow, however, is a different story as the course we're setting up ends in a 6 cone slalom. I'm sure I'll have some videos of me plowing cones through that section.

I think I'll be doing more videos from the hood just because the intake noise sounds so good!
i hope so lol the springs and rears have been sitting in my closet since december lol the anticipation is killing me. i cant wait to hit the track after theyre on. what settings were u running them on?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:00 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Nice video man. Which Go Pro do you have? Is it the new Go Pro HD model? How do you like it so far?
Old 06-27-2011, 09:17 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

At that event I had them at 1 turn from full soft in the front and 1.5 turns at the rear. I tend to enjoy the car a little on the loose side, but I think these settings are still fairly balanced. The event the next day was on a much smoother lot so I bumped them to 1.5 front/2 rear. Balance seemed good and it didn't seem to be overdamping the springs.

The camera is the HD Motorsports model. I used it for the first time at that event and I have zero complaints. The mount works great and the image quality is excellent. That video was taken in the 1080p/30 fps mode but I only rendered it at 720p. Sunday I did an event in the rain, and the mount stuck to a wet car and the camera stayed dry in its case. I used the 720p/60 fps mode for that event and I liked the higher framerate a little better. All in all, the camera is super easy to use and the footage is great.

Here are three runs from yesterday's event. The later runs have better sound. In the middle run I tagged the rev limiter in second for a moment, which reminded me that this was a much faster course than we usually run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqokAbMhhr0
Old 06-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I use (and sell) the HD Hero as well. All the videos you see taken from over my left shoulder are with that camera... and I only record in 720.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 PM
ryan1112

Looks like the shocks are working well for you. I ran at that lot with the MVSCC a few weeks ago. It's a good place for us. We just need to be careful of the light poles. I saw a few close calls.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:14 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Compared to the standard lots we've got, this place is amazing. Huge, flat, and really grippy pavement (as far as asphalt goes). I usually get some tire spin in the dry if I launch much higher than 2500 rpm, but I was doing that in the wet at Wilmington with no problem. Obviously I'd rather there were no light poles but they're not terrible to work around. The bus stops are nice for sheltering spectators and registration.

Now, just to get onto the concrete pad...

Quick Reply: Autocross today