Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Front Strut Dust Boots Needed???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:36 PM
drew2000

Default Front Strut Dust Boots Needed???

Probably should have asked this question BEFORE I installed the struts but...

I pre-assembled my Koni Streets, Steeda springs and camber plates, Ford bump-stops and lower isolators for a easy swap so I didn't disassemble the factory struts. For a street-driven/mostly nice weather/no snow Mustang, are the front dust boots really needed? Anyone run some miles w/o the boots...any problems? Car only sees around 6k miles per year. I emailed Koni, but no reply yet. It would be nice not to take everthing apart again.

Thanks!
Drew
Old 07-14-2011, 06:05 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

My car gets driven in all weather, but seeing how much silt was built up on the stock struts, I would recommend that you use the dust boots. It would be very lame to be rebuilding the Konis because the shaft seals went out.

I put my springs and struts together the same way you did and then realized that I needed the bump stops and dust covers off the car. Doh!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 AM
dan_h
1st Gear Member

Crap...just realized I'm in the same boat as you...the complete stock assembly was pulled out as a unit with Dust boot and the rubber thing at the bottom of the spring are still on the factory units....I'm not hearing any squeaking so i'm hoping i can do w/o the latter, but the absence of the dust boot bothers me...wondering if we can simply 'cut it' on the side and place it in w/duct tape to reseal it (??) Not very pretty but you cannot really see it anyway on a lowered front end.

Please let us know what you hear from Koni on this subject.

Thanks
dh

Last edited by dan_h; 07-14-2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: added info
Old 07-14-2011, 09:26 AM
drew2000

It makes no sense that you can buy the rubber bumpers, lower coil spring wrap but not the stupid plastic dust boots from Ford.

Got a reply from a tech at Koni. In a nutshell...Boots not required, but can't hurt.

Original message:
Are dust boots required on the Koni SrT front struts? I've heard conflicting opinions. I noticed tha factory struts use hard plastic protectors that are open on the bottom but the Koni's only ship with the protectors on the rear shocks.

This vehicle is only driven on paved roads/only very occasional rain and no snow conditions.

I pre-assembled and installed the Koni's and springs, so I hope I don't have to disassemble them again to install boots.

Reply:
Well here is my opinion, that guide seal wipes off that rod every time it goes in the strut housing, and on the way out it applies a light coat of oil to the rod. It is designed that way. So a dust boot is not really all that important. But if u can put it on do so.

Paul McLxxxxxxx
Koni Shock Absorbers
ITT Corporation
Racing Technical Sales Rep.
1961A International Way
Hebron, Ky. 41048
Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

The dust cover has a big metal washer type thing at the top that the plastic part attaches to. So cutting it and slipping it over isn't really an option.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Smike

Dust boot also protects the piston from rock or abrasion damage and corrosion (if you have a sharp scratch or pit near an area that can travel into the piston - you can tear the diaphragm he is talking about) from environmental conditions. I'd run them.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Miniata

For a daily driven car I'd use them, but as my Mustang is a weekend toy I left mine off. I've left them off a variety of different cars in the past and never had any issues, but most of those weren't daily driven.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:32 PM
drew2000

Originally Posted by Miniata
For a daily driven car I'd use them, but as my Mustang is a weekend toy I left mine off. I've left them off a variety of different cars in the past and never had any issues, but most of those weren't daily driven.
I'm leaning in this direction. Since my Mustang won't be seeing very much crappy weather and the Koni's have a lifetime warranty, if they need replacement in five or six years..so be it. I'm bringing in the car for a front-end alignment next week and just enjoy the ride!

As I learned from years of motorcycling..."Ride More, Worry Less!"
Old 07-17-2011, 08:50 AM
dan_h
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drew2000
I'm leaning in this direction. Since my Mustang won't be seeing very much crappy weather and the Koni's have a lifetime warranty, if they need replacement in five or six years..so be it. I'm bringing in the car for a front-end alignment next week and just enjoy the ride!

As I learned from years of motorcycling..."Ride More, Worry Less!"
Question: Did you leave off the rubber insulator also (the one that encases the lower portion of the stock springs?)

thx
dh
Old 07-17-2011, 10:17 AM
drew2000

Originally Posted by dan_h
Question: Did you leave off the rubber insulator also (the one that encases the lower portion of the stock springs?)

thx
dh
No, It's a easy to get Ford part #6R3Z-5L302-A, "sleeve". It's not really rubber, but some sort of hard poly plastic with a bead of contact glue inside.

You should be able to add the sleeve with the struts on the car...compress the spring a bit and snap it on...it's slit along the inside edge.

I put on everything except the dust boots.

Quick Reply: Front Strut Dust Boots Needed???