Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Koni sport setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Default Koni sport setup

I just had my konis installed with steeda sport springs and HD upper strut mounts. They seem pretty nice after 60 km of commuting, but after spending $2k, what else would I say??? In all honesty, I think the spring balance is the biggest improvement for DD; no more back end forcing the front. The brake pitch is much more controlled, at least on light application. And of course the springs are better controlled by the dampeners. Did I mention the car looks awesome?

I know lots of people are running the same setup as me, so what settings are you guys running for the street and track? My initial impression is I'll be near full soft on the road, and maybe one turn out at fast tracks (3rd - 5th gear), and a bit stiffer at slower tracks (2nd - 4th gear). Do I have that backwards? Is anyone running softer at the rear for traction?

Do the adjusters affect compression dampening, rebound, or both?

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:40 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Sports are adjustable for rebound damping. I run mine at (all these are turns from full soft) 1 turn front, 1.5 rear on the road and at bumpier autocrosses and 1.5 front, 2 rear at smooth autocrosses. Have no idea if that's what I should be doing but it seems pretty balanced so I'll keep doing it!

Running the stiffer damping on the street seems to hurt ride a bit but it's not too bad if you avoid big bumps. I also run my tires at 40 psi all the time so I'm used to a bit on the stiff side.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ansibe
My initial impression is I'll be near full soft on the road, and maybe one turn out at fast tracks (3rd - 5th gear), and a bit stiffer at slower tracks (2nd - 4th gear). Do I have that backwards? Is anyone running softer at the rear for traction?
On the stock springs (but stiffer sta-bars) I've found that about 1/4 turn out from full soft up front and 1/8 turn out in the back gives a ride that my wife is happier with but which isn't quite as settled and forces me to drive a little easier. Less than 1/8 turn out back simply wasn't enough. When it's just me in the car for - let's just call it hard street driving, I take both ends out another 1/2 to 3/4 turn toward firm, which is significantly firmer and the tires grip a little better with less sliding. I did dial the rears only back some at an autocross earlier this year - I needed a more conservative setup for a number of reasons.

You may need a little more damping than that due to the higher spring stiffnesses. Post up what you find and what you notice.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-16-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Miniata

I'll have to try and find my notes from autocrossing my Mustang last year for the exact settings on my Konis, but I usually ran the rears a little softer (1/2 turn or so) than the fronts both for autocrossing and street use. This was with Steeda ultralite springs, Eibach swaybars, and 265/40 Dunlop Star Specs on 17x9 Enkei RPF1 wheels.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

BB, thanks for that. I was pretty sure the adjustment was on rebound, but not certain. I can hardly believe how little information comes with the Konis. This is a premium setup - I expected a manual of some sort, or at least an instruction sheet.

I will definitely post my impressions and settings once I've spent a bit more time on them. The springs will probably settle a bit, and the konis may break in a little too.

My first track day is at a slow, bumpy track, so that should be an enlightening experience.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

BB, thanks for that. I was pretty sure the adjustment was on rebound, but not certain. I can hardly believe how little information comes with the Konis. This is a premium setup - I expected a manual of some sort, or at least an instruction sheet.

I will definitely post my impressions and settings once I've spent a bit more time on them. The springs will probably settle a bit, and the konis may break in a little too.

My first track day is at a slow, bumpy track, so that should be an enlightening experience.
Ansibe

Which trrack are you going to - Mosport DDT?

I run my Konis 1 turn from full hard on the front and 1/2 from full hard at the back. This is my track setting and I just leave it at that during the summer. My springs are Steeda Competition springs and there is a little extra weight on the front end of my car.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Yep, Mosport DDT.

You're running pretty stiff. Maybe the watts link lets you do that?
Old 07-17-2011, 04:44 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Yep, Mosport DDT.

You're running pretty stiff. Maybe the watts link lets you do that?
I like it stiff but only run at Mosport GP circuit and TMP, both of which are pretty flat.

I used to run the D Specs full hard front and rear. Tried the Konis full hard at TMP for two laps and nearly shook all of my fillings out.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
I run my Konis 1 turn from full hard on the front and 1/2 from full hard at the back.
Out of curiosity, do you know whether the main pivot on your Watts link sits higher or lower than where the midpoint of a PHB would be with these springs?

Norm
Old 07-19-2011, 04:57 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Out of curiosity, do you know whether the main pivot on your Watts link sits higher or lower than where the midpoint of a PHB would be with these springs?

Norm
Norm

Not without crawling under and having a look. As I live in an apartment with no place close to work on the car it might be a while before I get a chance to do this.

I'll try to remember the next time I am under it.