Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Changing a GT to a Boss?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:31 AM
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

Default Changing a GT to a Boss?

With the what we have to choose from as far as aftermarket shocks, struts, sway bars, etc is it possible to make a 2011 GT handle as good as/better than a Boss? Granted we won't be winding this thing up to over 7,000 rpm on the road course! Torn between taking a hit on trading in my 2011 GT on a Boss (can't find one locally anyway) and Calling Sam and getting some upgrades ordered to install this winter. My car is a non-Brembo car, so thinking about upgrading brakes with Boss front and cooling ducts as well. I already autocross the car (currently all suspension stock), but also want to take it out on a road course too.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Call Sam

It will be interesting to hear his answer.

My feeling is that right set of springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD front mounts and Sam's bars plus wheels/tires equivalent to what are on the Boss are all you will need.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 12-05-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

I actually went through this process last year, fortunately before I bought my GT. The Boss is aimed at the road course crowd, but costs about $15k on top of a GT.

The extra power isn't that special, in fact I've heard you can pretty much "chip" the GT up to those levels. $1000 and you're there. Let's face it, the GT engine rocks!

Handling is a different story. Everybody talks about how well the Boss handles, but I think at this level that gets quite personal. Ford decided how the Boss would react at the limit - is that ok with you? The stock GT is pretty good imho, but it bounces around too much when the traction breaks and recovers, I think because the springs are not controlled properly by the dampers. My solution is Koni yellows and Steeda Sport springs from Sam. Now I get to decide how my car reacts, and I like that. $2000.

Brakes, cooling ducts, pads: another $2000. 18 x 9.5 wheels and tires: $3000. GT seats are terrible. Support is somewhere between dismal and non-existent. Seats with airbags are going to be around $3000.

So there you have it, a GT as good as a Boss for $11,000 or so, and you get the pleasure of building it yourself!

You can't buy the cool factor, though. Every time I see a Boss 302, I'm just a bit envious, and suddenly get defensive about my car.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ansibe
I actually went through this process last year, fortunately before I bought my GT. The Boss is aimed at the road course crowd, but costs about $15k on top of a GT.

The extra power isn't that special, in fact I've heard you can pretty much "chip" the GT up to those levels. $1000 and you're there. Let's face it, the GT engine rocks!

Handling is a different story. Everybody talks about how well the Boss handles, but I think at this level that gets quite personal. Ford decided how the Boss would react at the limit - is that ok with you? The stock GT is pretty good imho, but it bounces around too much when the traction breaks and recovers, I think because the springs are not controlled properly by the dampers. My solution is Koni yellows and Steeda Sport springs from Sam. Now I get to decide how my car reacts, and I like that. $2000.

Brakes, cooling ducts, pads: another $2000. 18 x 9.5 wheels and tires: $3000. GT seats are terrible. Support is somewhere between dismal and non-existent. Seats with airbags are going to be around $3000.

So there you have it, a GT as good as a Boss for $11,000 or so, and you get the pleasure of building it yourself!

You can't buy the cool factor, though. Every time I see a Boss 302, I'm just a bit envious, and suddenly get defensive about my car.
Yes but the cool factor sometimes attracts the wrong attention and as you are aware in Ontario that can get very expensive, very fast.

My approach was to build a "Sleeper". On the track the Porsches don't know what hit them until they have to wave me past.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:01 AM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

I don't think it's particularly hard to have "an eight dressed up as a nine" in this game. The engine is really good as it is, and if I had a Boss, it'd have the same changes (I won't call them upgrades) that I've put on my GT.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:21 AM
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input. Already have SVT 19x9.5's with 255 and 285 F1 super car rubber. I've noticed how the seats feel on an autocross course (maybe I need to tighten down my belt more). I have a saddle color interior, so switching out the driver's seat might look a little goofy? I talked with Sam last spring about suspension. I think everything could be upgraded for less than $2000 (shocks, struts, strut mounts, sway bars). I already have an adjustable PHB that I bought when I was just thinking about lowering springs. That was before I talked with Sam!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlwdvm
Thanks for the input. Already have SVT 19x9.5's with 255 and 285 F1 super car rubber. I've noticed how the seats feel on an autocross course (maybe I need to tighten down my belt more). I have a saddle color interior, so switching out the driver's seat might look a little goofy? I talked with Sam last spring about suspension. I think everything could be upgraded for less than $2000 (shocks, struts, strut mounts, sway bars). I already have an adjustable PHB that I bought when I was just thinking about lowering springs. That was before I talked with Sam!
Try a CG Lock to hold you in place.

http://www.cg-lock.com/

An inexpensive solution that has worrked for me.

Also my seats are cloth which helps.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:57 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

It will be far more practical to simply improve the handling of your current vehicle. As good as the Boss is, the price difference would be better spent on your current vehicle.

It is pretty easy to get an aftermarket setup that will outhandle a stock Boss parts wise.

The proper springs, upgraded shocks and struts, and matched swaybars will give you get you there assuming you dont run out of tire grip.

Speaking of tires, if you want to step up to something comparable to the Boss in the brake department you will need larger wheels to clear them, at that point bigger tires will automatically go along with that as well which will maximize your grip.

Unless you REALLY want to get your hands on a Boss, which I wouldn't blame you for, it would be more cost effective to improve on what you already have.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

There are only two reason to buy a Boss vs. keeping your GT.

1. The look (which you likely don't want since you mention you want a bit of a sleeper).
2. The engine.

There is NOTHING magical under a Boss, and nothing we can't do (and do better IMHO) on your car. Gus is right, practically speaking you'd be money, and performance ahead doing what we want to your car vs. paying and getting what you get from Ford. And the funny thing is, guys that own Boss cars still play with them anyway.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 PM
ShawnAlexander
1st Gear Member

Mine handles better than any stock Boss 302, and costs and weighs far, far less!!

Not as fast in a straight line, but hey, you can't have everything!!

Quick Reply: Changing a GT to a Boss?