Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Air in ABS distribution pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:21 PM
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

Default Air in ABS distribution pump?

Got my Brembo BBK installed on my 2011 gt. Since the install was done at night over a couple days time, most of the brake fluid drained out of the front lines. I didn't think this would be a problem since I was going to replace it with Motul anyway. Got the fronts installed and changed out the rear rubber lines to steel and changed the pads to what came with the kit. Vacuum bled all four corners to get the original brake fluid out and replaced with the new high temp stuff. I also had a friend help with manual bleeding all four corners per the instructions in the shop manual for the 2011 Mustang. I have brakes (the car will stop) but the pedal feels a little mushy still. Called the Ford dealer and asked if they thought the ABS pump needed to be hooked up to the scanner to get any air out...they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about (maybe I don't)! They just said they would flush my system...I already did that. Any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:34 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

You won't get a rock-hard pedal with the Mustang Brembo's. I don't know why, but they aren't as firm as, say, a Porsche's brake pedal.

That said, if you think they're mushy then send them to the dealer for a flush. I'm not sure there's any other way.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

In an earlier thread someone suggested finding a quiet road somewhere and repeatedly kicking in the ABS and then bleeding again. It apparently takes a couple of times to get it all out.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:20 AM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
In an earlier thread someone suggested finding a quiet road somewhere and repeatedly kicking in the ABS and then bleeding again. It apparently takes a couple of times to get it all out.
That method works to clear old brake fluid out of the pump, but it might not work with air. I guess it's worth a try, and heck, it might be a lot of fun!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:51 AM
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

It worries me that the dealer seemed qlueless. It says it right in the manual that a Vehicle Communication Module may be needed!
Old 02-18-2012, 01:36 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by JAJ
That method works to clear old brake fluid out of the pump, but it might not work with air. I guess it's worth a try, and heck, it might be a lot of fun!
But where is this air 'clearing out' to?
On out to the lines to the calipers?

The service manual states to connect the
scan tool and to follow the ABS bleed instructions.
Most stealerships dont have a clue.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:13 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
But where is this air 'clearing out' to?
On out to the lines to the calipers?...
Exactly, then you do another bleed to clear it out of the brake lines. However, if there's air in the ABS pump then you might not be able to generate enough braking force to actually engage the ABS before your brake pedal hits the floor.

Anyway, this is all speculation for me - the only time I ever got air in an ABS system was on a car that actually had a bleed valve on the ABS module.