Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

About to Purchase 4 Piston Brembos with Baer 14" Rotors Front and Rear. Any Opinons?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Default About to Purchase 4 Piston Brembos with Baer 14" Rotors Front and Rear. Any Opinons?

I am about to buy the following items. This is a street driven car. I don't see a need to upgrade the rear calipers and I am guessing the upgraded rear rotors to 14" will be mostly for looks...
The brembo and Baer setup is about $400 less.

What do you guys think?

Brembo 4 piston Left 7R3Z-2B121-A
Brembo 4 piston Right 7R3Z-2B120-A
Splash Guards 7R3Z-2K004-A
Splash Guard Bolts W500020-S439
Caliper Bolts W710233-S439

14" Baer EradiSpeed+2 Front Rotors BAE-2261031
14" Baer EradiSpeed+2 Rear Rotor Kit BAE-2262019
StopTech Stainless Brake line kit

--OR---

Wilwood Superlite 6piston Front Brake Kit 14" 140-9221-D
Willwood Front Brake Line kit 220-9111

Last edited by hollywub; 03-12-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:49 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

As you only drive on the street was your desire to upgrade for looks only?

If not for looks why are you interested in upgrading?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

did you look at his mods? even if it's only street driven I assume he drives his car rather fast. you can start running into heat/boil/fade issues from a single hard slow down from a high speed run
Old 03-13-2012, 12:58 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
did you look at his mods? even if it's only street driven I assume he drives his car rather fast. you can start running into heat/boil/fade issues from a single hard slow down from a high speed run
Yes. I had a little difficulty stopping at 140mph. The brakes were done after hitting them twice.

I have had Brembos on my last 3 cars.

I just can't justify $5k for brakes. This setup will cost $2200 front and rear which seems more reasonable.

Last edited by hollywub; 03-13-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:00 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
As you only drive on the street was your desire to upgrade for looks only?

If not for looks why are you interested in upgrading?
Why does the Shelby have better brakes? Not for looks.

Looks are secondary, but important.

I didn't build my car to pick up milk either, but I also don't want to waste money.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

get the gt500/boss brembos. i've seen them for about $1200 in the past, but haven't looked in a long time. most of the performance and fade resistance comes in the pads and fluid you run. the boss 302s race cars still use the stock rear calipers so don't worry about those. take it form a guy who swapped pads at the track on the front, and forgot to pump the pedal several times before backing into a parking spot, those rear calipers do very little work.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
get the gt500/boss brembos. i've seen them for about $1200 in the past, but haven't looked in a long time. most of the performance and fade resistance comes in the pads and fluid you run. the boss 302s race cars still use the stock rear calipers so don't worry about those. take it form a guy who swapped pads at the track on the front, and forgot to pump the pedal several times before backing into a parking spot, those rear calipers do very little work.
I figured as much on the rears.

I am going with the Hawk HPS pads front and rear as well.

Its cheaper to buy the piece separate from Ford if you are upgrading the rotors to aftermarket.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:10 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hollywub
I figured as much on the rears.

I am going with the Hawk HPS pads front and rear as well.

Its cheaper to buy the piece separate from Ford if you are upgrading the rotors to aftermarket.
does buying separate get you the hoses you need? im not sure the brembo calipers use the same brake lines. also FWIW, HPS and HP+ pads aren't up to moderate-serious track work in my experience. i had significant fade issues with HP+ pads on the track that led to a very short pad life, measured in days. oh skip the splash guards, assuming that is the official name of the black metal plates behind the rotors. you get better cooling with them off. since you will be replacing fluid, i suggest brembo lcf 600+ great fluid.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:32 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
does buying separate get you the hoses you need? im not sure the brembo calipers use the same brake lines. also FWIW, HPS and HP+ pads aren't up to moderate-serious track work in my experience. i had significant fade issues with HP+ pads on the track that led to a very short pad life, measured in days. oh skip the splash guards, assuming that is the official name of the black metal plates behind the rotors. you get better cooling with them off. since you will be replacing fluid, i suggest brembo lcf 600+ great fluid.
I actually just bought stainless brake lines separate and ATE Typ 200 DOT4. I used to use that in my E55.

I was wondering about the splash guards.

Its ok to have them off for street use?
Old 03-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I left my splash guards off and even run the brake cooling year round on the street.

Quick Reply: About to Purchase 4 Piston Brembos with Baer 14" Rotors Front and Rear. Any Opinons?