Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Tire Options. Please respond

Old 03-23-2012, 11:34 AM
cool_it
1st Gear Member

I am running DWS, Dry Wet Snow upon recommendation of the tire store (This was an unplanned purchased, flat KDW tire). I spelled that out because too often I see people refer to DWs in plural, or I think they are, and I think they are referring to Dry Wet Snow rather than Dry Wet. It is a good all around tire but I wish I hadn't purchased them. I bought the car to have fun and the tire's soft sidewall detracts from it. I would rather put up with noise and firm sidewalls. Decisions decisions for the next set.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cool_it
I am running DWS, Dry Wet Snow upon recommendation of the tire store (This was an unplanned purchased, flat KDW tire). I spelled that out because too often I see people refer to DWs in plural, or I think they are, and I think they are referring to Dry Wet Snow rather than Dry Wet. It is a good all around tire but I wish I hadn't purchased them. I bought the car to have fun and the tire's soft sidewall detracts from it. I would rather put up with noise and firm sidewalls. Decisions decisions for the next set.
Good point. There is a big difference between the DW (Dry Wet), a summer max performance tire and the DWS (dry wet snow) an all season.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

For what it is worth, Tire Rack has the Conti DW 275x45x18 on closeout for 100 a pop. Hoping these won't rub, but even if they do slightly, I could almost buy two sets of these over a lower profile set. I figure I can't lose.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

Nitto NT05 and a 180 treadwear rating.
Light em' up!
Recently installed on a Mustang in 5.0 Mustang magazine.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:30 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hamidar05
For what it is worth, Tire Rack has the Conti DW 275x45x18 on closeout for 100 a pop. Hoping these won't rub, but even if they do slightly, I could almost buy two sets of these over a lower profile set. I figure I can't lose.
They are 27.7 inch diameter which may be 0.7 larger than your stock diameter and thus affect your speedometer slightly, give you "taller" gearing and raise the center of gravity.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:52 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

the wear ratings on tires are rather arbitrary and up the manufacture FWIW wear ratings have nothing to do with grip, which is what we want and only indicate how long the mfg claims the tire will last. there is no set guidelines on tread wear and its mostly an estimate. this is why you can have a tire with a 280 tread rating with less dry grip than a tire with a 360 tread wear rating and vice versa. point is don't assume a lower tread wear rating will give you a stickier tire.

same goes for traction grades, they have nothign to do with dry traction. you are better off finding a road racing or scca forum where the people have tired everything and get track reviews to pick the best tires. also bear in mind the cars, a star spec on a miata will not always do the same things on a 3800 pound stang. that said, almost everyone at the autox and track that can fit them is running the hankook rs3, i know several peoepl putting down times only a few seconds off their times for r-comps on those tires. a lot of stang autox guys run the 265/40-18

edit:

ive also recently priced it out and for the price of the tires i just bought for the boss, i could have bought a set of 18" wheels from american muscle and 275/40-18 nt-o1s. that way i could have run less potent tires on the street (something like the ventus v12 that are about half the price of the potenzas i bought), and had more grip on the track and been all around better off.

Last edited by ShaneM; 03-29-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:55 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

I agree with those who are suggesting going with the Continentals with 275/45/18 all around. They will look great in your wheel wells as a taller tire 27.7" and I feel from the good reviews people here are giving, since you are not supercharged, I feel having 275 all around with the shelby rims and the 27.7" height gives you excellent launch width and sidewall for a car under 450 HP and also great hard cornering width stance up front with the 275's.

If I wasn't supercharged, I'd have gone with the 275/45/18's a long time ago. Erik
Old 04-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
They are 27.7 inch diameter which may be 0.7 larger than your stock diameter and thus affect your speedometer slightly, give you "taller" gearing and raise the center of gravity.
Thanks Sleeper, just got my 09 and needed tires. I could not pass up the price. I noted some prominent dealers sell 275/40/19 packages with +35 offset rims and those tires are the same diameter, so crossing my fingers no issues if I get rims with same offset!?

I have a tuner and plan to go 4.11 gears. The new Steeda boss springs are looking good to get my cg back, after I measure to make sure that won't cause the rub.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 AM
wescherry

I saw the deal on those Continental DWs as well and was planning on getting some. I'm running 275/40/18 right now so it wouldn't be a big change to get the 275/45 I don't think. Does anyone know how many miles the tires will last? I think those tires have a Y rating so I wasn't sure how long they would last. My car is a DD and I have a long commute so I need something that will hold up for a while.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:18 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wescherry
I saw the deal on those Continental DWs as well and was planning on getting some. I'm running 275/40/18 right now so it wouldn't be a big change to get the 275/45 I don't think. Does anyone know how many miles the tires will last? I think those tires have a Y rating so I wasn't sure how long they would last. My car is a DD and I have a long commute so I need something that will hold up for a while.
that 45 series tire will be about an inch taller than stock. that will make your speedo read a few mph high and could change gearing, i think most of us would notice our cars riding an inch higher too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Options. Please respond