Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Hawk HPS+ (HPS PLUS) Feedback - Noise Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Default Hawk HPS+ (HPS PLUS) Feedback - Noise Inquiry

Hey guys,

Those of you w/ Hawk HP+ brake pads (if anyone has it...)
Do you guys experience a lot of squealing / extra noise from these sets? I know the HPS PLUS sets are for track / circuit, just wondering what the noise output is like with these pads specifically.

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by Toxix; 05-11-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Hawk HPS+?

All I know of is Hawk HP+ and HPS, unless the HPS+ is a new thing, or just a typo.

I think I may be able to help either way though being that I have run both HP+ and HPS.

I am currently running the HPS right now and I had HP+ on there previously.

HP+'s are noisy as all hell and you can't get them to NOT squeal. And it's LOUD, VERY LOUD. Not to mention the amount of dust they create is absolutely rediculous. If you want more braking power though, this is what you want. It blows away the stock pads and the stopping power is even noticeable over the HPS pads.

HPS pads are not that bad when it comes to noise. To the end of their lifespan they typically start to squeal a little bit but it's not too bad. Just a slight squeal when braking lightly and when you hit the brakes a bit harder it goes away. It's NOTHING compared to the squeal my HP+'s gave off. The dust is pretty much just as bad as the HP+'s but that's to be expected with just about any ferro-carbon brake pad.

Just make sure you use the grease provided with the pads. It definately helps reduce noise.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

I've used both Hawk HP-Plus and Hawk HPS.
I currently have a set of HPS on the car right now with 3 road course track days.
No noise, just a lot of brake dust on my chrome rims.
I have the Stop Tech 4 piston calipers on 2 piece 14" rotors up front and OEM rear brakes, all with SS lines.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses, I meant to say the HP+ not the HP Plus
Old 05-11-2012, 02:11 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
Hawk HPS+?

All I know of is Hawk HP+ and HPS, unless the HPS+ is a new thing, or just a typo.

I think I may be able to help either way though being that I have run both HP+ and HPS.

I am currently running the HPS right now and I had HP+ on there previously.

HP+'s are noisy as all hell and you can't get them to NOT squeal. And it's LOUD, VERY LOUD. Not to mention the amount of dust they create is absolutely rediculous. If you want more braking power though, this is what you want. It blows away the stock pads and the stopping power is even noticeable over the HPS pads.

HPS pads are not that bad when it comes to noise. To the end of their lifespan they typically start to squeal a little bit but it's not too bad. Just a slight squeal when braking lightly and when you hit the brakes a bit harder it goes away. It's NOTHING compared to the squeal my HP+'s gave off. The dust is pretty much just as bad as the HP+'s but that's to be expected with just about any ferro-carbon brake pad.

Just make sure you use the grease provided with the pads. It definately helps reduce noise.

That's my experience as well. HP+ are LOUD and DUSTY, but they work well. Toward the end of a 20 minute HPDE session, I could get them to fade a little, but they never went away completely like the stock pads did. This is on stock sized brakes with no cooling ducts and Motul fluid.

I have a set of HPS in the garage to install after I buy some new rotors.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I have the HPS and they drive me NUTS. Noisy, dirty etc

Ordered a set of ceramics and DBA cross/drilled rotors this morning to replace them
Old 05-11-2012, 02:59 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Toxix
Thanks for the responses, I meant to say the HP+ not the HP Plus
HP+ and HP Plus are the same thing. =P I get what you mean though, you wanna know about the HP+'s.

Originally Posted by Alec
I have the HPS and they drive me NUTS. Noisy, dirty etc

Ordered a set of ceramics and DBA cross/drilled rotors this morning to replace them
Really? My HPS's barely squeal at all.... I have a feeling you don't know what true brake squeal is. Just because you can hear them squeal doesn't mean they are noisy.

When you step on the brakes and you feel embarrassed because they are squealing so loud and it sounds like you are running your pads down to the base and people look at you like "wtf... are you seriously running brakes that are that worn down?". THAT is noise. A little squeal that isn't that loud from the HPS pads is nothing compared to that.

Those cross-drilled/slotted rotors aren't gonna help much. The whole purpose of the slots and cross-drilling is to keep the pad free from dust so it can bite the rotor better. Using ceramics along with slotted/drilled rotors is slightly counter-intuitive as ferro-carbon pads would benefit more from the rotors.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 05-11-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
HP+ and HP Plus are the same thing. =P I get what you mean though, you wanna know about the HP+'s.

Really? My HPS's barely squeal at all.... I have a feeling you don't know what true brake squeal is. Just because you can hear them squeal doesn't mean they are noisy.

When you step on the brakes and you feel embarrassed because they are squealing so loud and it sounds like you are running your pads down to the base and people look at you like "wtf... are you seriously running brakes that are that worn down?". THAT is noise. A little squeal that isn't that loud from the HPS pads is nothing compared to that.

Those cross-drilled/slotted rotors aren't gonna help much. The whole purpose of the slots and cross-drilling is to keep the pad free from dust so it can bite the rotor better. Using ceramics along with slotted/drilled rotors is slightly counter-intuitive as ferro-carbon pads would benefit more from the rotors.
That squeal around the race track and paddock area is like a badge of honor. Remember that race pads take awhile to heat cycle so they squeal when cold. The HPS squeak rather than squel.
The Hawk HTC-70 pads can really squeal!
Old 05-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

THE HP+'s WILL DRIVE YOU TO THE EDGE OF INSANITY!! Even covered in anti-squeal grease, mine squeal horribly. I can't wait for them to wear down so I can change them to something else...
Old 05-11-2012, 05:03 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Campo 427R
That squeal around the race track and paddock area is like a badge of honor. Remember that race pads take awhile to heat cycle so they squeal when cold. The HPS squeak rather than squel.
The Hawk HTC-70 pads can really squeal!
Around the paddock and around the track, I completely agree.

On the street... No.

Actually that is the only reason I swapped back to HPS from the HP+ pads. The noise got to the point where I didn't want to drive it on the street. It was too annoying to me as well as the people around me.

If it wasn't a DD I would still be using the HP+ pads.

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
THE HP+'s WILL DRIVE YOU TO THE EDGE OF INSANITY!! Even covered in anti-squeal grease, mine squeal horribly. I can't wait for them to wear down so I can change them to something else...
THIS is a true representation of a first time user of HP+'s. You WILL find them noisy, they WILL get on your nerves.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 05-11-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Hawk HPS+ (HPS PLUS) Feedback - Noise Inquiry