Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.
View Poll Results: Sleeper mustangs or all out?
sleeper
87.50%
all out
12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Trentz10

Default Suspension

Good day fellow mustang owners. This is my first post/question so please bear with me. I have a 2010 GT premium and I just purchased a stage 2 suspension kit from Mr. Sam Strano. If I am correct it consist of Steeda ultralite springs and the Koni STR.Ts. Also picked up a set of Heavy Duty mounts. Looking for a well pronounced suspension shop in virginia beach area, as i just relocated here, to install my parts. Thought about doing it myself but really don't have the time or help although i do have access to a fully equipped garage. Any and all help is much appreciated, Thank you.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Try getting in touch with somebody at either
Tidewater Sports Car Club
or Southeastern Virginia Mustang Club (I think they used to be known as Beach Ford Mustang Club)

As far as I know, those two clubs are over on the Norfolk-VA Beach-Portsmouth side of the river, don't know if any of the clubs on the Newport News-Hampton side are still around.

Oh yeah, sleeper. Always have more bite than bark.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-20-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Trentz10

Thanks Norm, will do. I may just try to enlist some help from some friends and save the labor install for more goodies. The suspension work is really all not that bad. I did my own suspension work on my prior mustang, 89 GT, back in the day. Just hard to find the time with work and all. Thanks again!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Trentz10

All right, finally got my suspension parts installed. Manned up and did it my self It was not as hard as I thought it was going to be, actually it was pretty straight forward. Plus the lowest price quote I received was like 600 as high as 950!!! WTF. But I had to do it twice due to the instructions.

My suspension kit consisted of the Koni STR Ts, Steeda Ultra lite springs, and Steeda Heavy duty mounts. First off the ride is out of this world. Exactly what I was looking for after all said and done.

First problem was that I installed the rear springs upside down, the words on the springs were right side up soooo I figured that was good, WRONG, when installed correctly the words are "indeed" upside down. The tight wound coils go to the body and loose wound coils go to axle. I fixed that and the car rode even better, felt like it did anyway. Now for the front, the steeda ultra lites came with a protected spring isolater all ready on them, soooo, again, i figured i just could use them, again, "WRONG". I ended up with a "scrunching" noise, if you will. Only when I went over speed bumps though. I did not have any popping, clunking, or other weird noise. Just the "scrunching" type noise. At first i thought it was just the new dampers causing this noise. So I decided to take the plastic clear spring protecters off and put the ones on from the factory springs. Reconnected everything to torque specs along with a little blue loctite for safe measure and BOOM, the scrunchy noise is gone

As far as the whole setup, I cannot thank Mr. Sam Strano enough. I live in the Hamptons Road area of Virginia and these roads SUCK!!! But I am very happy with the setup. The 4x4 look is gone, wheel hop is gone, nose diving is gone, and nose up on accel is gone. Drives like a different car. I did not need a adjustable PHB, as my rear did not get off centered. I would post pics, but I am not allowed too just yet, not enough post, sorry. I know this mod has been done a million times, but if any one is about to do this and you are in my area just shoot me a PM and I will help in every way I can, cheers.

Last edited by Trentz10; 03-09-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Probably most of us have had to redo one thing or another.

Sounds like all you have left to do is alignment, which you can also DIY with only a level setup area, any of several ways to measure camber, and a parallel strings setup for toe. Toe varies slightly with camber changes, so don't forget to check and adjust that as well (do toe last).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-10-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Trentz10

I may attempt the alignment, that is a whole other story though, lol. Still reading and researching on how to do attempt. I have never seen it done but would like to learn the process, self education is a wonderful thing.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It's not as difficult as the $$$$$ professional alignment racks and computerized displays may make it seem. All they really do is make the measurements (and guarantee a level reference setup area).

As long as you aren't trying to track down bent components, the only real difference from what you've already done to bolt the strut mounts to the towers is making the camber and toe measurements. You need a level setup area, which can be obtained by shimming under the tires as necessary. Direct camber measurements can then be made (at least to within 0.1°, which is entirely adequate for every use short of high-level competition) with a digital angle finder referenced off the wheels. Don't measure off the tire sidewalls (or off a bent/dinged/damaged wheel for that matter), since doing so will introduce errors. I have a longer write-up with pictures (in MS Word). PM me with an email address if you're interested.

Norm
Old 03-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Trentz10

One more thing Norm, I also installed the Heavy Duty Strut Mounts from steeda as well
Old 03-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I did catch that (again) last night before bringing up the matter of alignment.

Norm
Old 03-10-2013, 07:34 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

We have similar set ups, good choice.

Quick Reply: Suspension