Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Embarrassed

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default Embarrassed

So I went ahead and ordered a set of GT500 front LCAs. I recently replaced the shocks, struts, strut mounts, and sways about 2 months ago. I've had this right front clunking for probably the better part of 1.5 years and it was progressively getting worse. Unfortunately, the clunk remained after the install of the strut mounts.

So in my arrogance, since I went back over every nut and bolt again once the sound persisted, I disregarded the possibility that it could be the sway bar end links and thought it was either a bad ball joint or control arm bushing since the sound was only over bumps (up and down motion) rather than a side to side motion with turning.

So I ordered the GT500 arms. The noise is so bad I thought something was going to break or fall off.

Got the wheel off and with both up and down, left and right, and twisting, I could not feel or see any play in the ball joint, tie rod end, or bushings. I then grabbed the sway bar end link and towards and away motion got it to clunk clunk clunk. I was able to get another half turn on a wrench to tighten them up but the clunk was still there and coming from the sway bar connection.

So lessons learned; I'm an idiot. Don't assume just cause you double checked everything that a nut can't come loose. Don't assume that since you just reinstalled a part that it can't be the problem. And lastly, diagnose the correct source of the problem before buying new parts.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I think we all have been down that road before.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

Kewl! I've been trying to find a way to convince my wife to let me get the MM Caster/Camber adjusters, new front LCAs, Steeda X5 Ball Joints and Bumpsteer kit. I'm going to loosen my sway bar end link enough to get the clunk then tell my wife that the only way to fix the problem is a process of elimination starting with the above suspension parts. Thanks! LOL
Old 01-31-2013, 11:12 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

UrS4, I wish I would have seen your post earlier. My clunking turned out to be Steeda after market end links on the front sway bar. I replaced them with the stock ones, and made sure they were tight, problem solved. Erik