Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

struts wearing out when lowered

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

Default struts wearing out when lowered

So I did a search but couldn't seem to find my answer. I know that struts will wear out after a while when a car is lowered, but how long does it typically take? I'm debating between the sportlines and pro kit. And I know the lower the car is the quicker they wear out. Just curious if anybody has any more insight to this.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 PM
thalilbear02

Originally Posted by tbuff
So I did a search but couldn't seem to find my answer. I know that struts will wear out after a while when a car is lowered, but how long does it typically take? I'm debating between the sportlines and pro kit. And I know the lower the car is the quicker they wear out. Just curious if anybody has any more insight to this.
Depends on how hard you drive it... I've had cars go out in 20k miles, some last up to 40k miles...
Old 02-19-2013, 01:37 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

like said above. however, I'd just hold off until you can buy aftermarket struts. when you take apart the front struts to put the springs in, the factory upper strut mounts fall apart, plus the hardware for the spindle to strut mounts is "one time use only" so you'd have to buy new sets twice.

I am a firm believer of "do it once and do it right" which is why my K-springs have been sitting in a box for 2 months. konis are next on order then strut mounts etc...

plus, working on a car is no fun in 40 degree weather with no garage on an uneven parking area.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Depends on your definition of wearing out. They won't break or anything but they will show a severe lack of damping control (not that they are very good to start with on taller softer stock springs). You are asking a stock strut which is barely adequate to start with to control more spring rate, and do it in less shock travel. Doing those things well, generally means you need more rebound control, and that's something that stock dampers don't have an overabundance of to start with.....
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 PM
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the info guys. Yeah, I'll prolly just wait and get em both done at the same time. Looking at the eibach struts/shocks to go with the sport line springs.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Don't do that.... I sell Eibach, including the dampers. I think you have way better choices with better warranties too. This is a case where I'd say Koni STR.T, unless you really want to have the best damping and options to tweak the feel, then Koni Sport. STR.T's are more in the price range of the Eibach dampers, but with a lifetime warranty.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelty
like said above. however, I'd just hold off until you can buy aftermarket struts. when you take apart the front struts to put the springs in, the factory upper strut mounts fall apart, plus the hardware for the spindle to strut mounts is "one time use only" so you'd have to buy new sets twice.

I am a firm believer of "do it once and do it right" which is why my K-springs have been sitting in a box for 2 months. konis are next on order then strut mounts etc...

plus, working on a car is no fun in 40 degree weather with no garage on an uneven parking area.
Just place a jack under the lower control arm and remove the large nut holding the strut on. No need to remove the upper strut mount. If you have a good floor jack, then there's no need for a spring compressor. I wouldn't try it with one of those really small floor jacks.

I reused my stock bolts, except the upper strut to spindle bolt. That one I replaced with an eccentric bolt.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I do not recommend that method. Yeah, it's easier, but it's also not as safe as as spring compressor (jacks can and do fail). And it's put a lot of side load on the upper strut mounts which are pretty weak to start with. And #2 it's very hard to get the spring properly seated in the notch when putting it back together... you can, but you have to have your hand up in there which isn't smart given any issue with the jack slipping or a seal failing.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 PM
tbuff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Don't do that.... I sell Eibach, including the dampers. I think you have way better choices with better warranties too. This is a case where I'd say Koni STR.T, unless you really want to have the best damping and options to tweak the feel, then Koni Sport. STR.T's are more in the price range of the Eibach dampers, but with a lifetime warranty.
thanks for the info man.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

FYI, Koni's go on sale on Friday.... STR.T's will be $329.xx, Sports $616 a set... that's vs. $405 and $770 normally.

Quick Reply: struts wearing out when lowered