Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Will I regret going staggered?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Default Will I regret going staggered?

I'm about to pull the trigger on some new rims/tires. My only hold up is staggered or not. I REALLY like the idea of added grip and look of wide 10" rims in the back. and then 9" in the front. My car is a daily driver and I will hit the track on the weekends (but not every weekend) I worry that this is enough to have my rear tires wear out much faster than the fronts...I do have a little bit of a heavy foot but I try to not spin the tires. If I keep the same width on all 4 corners (10") I can't help but think the front would just be kinda sluggish in parking lots etc and I just don't like the look as much.

Unless I really get talked out of it I'm thinking:
(2) 255/45/18 Nitto Nt555 Front
(2) 285/40/18 Nitto Nt555 Rear
Rims: SVE Drifts
(I don't hit the strip enough to go with NT555R's in the rear)
So....will I regret going staggered as far as tire wear? Or will it not be that noticeable. I just don't want to buy two sets of rears for every one set of fronts.
As for burnouts...I don't do them. maybe 2 in the last year and one was because I know I'm getting new tires

Any opinions/advice or even real world experience?? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

pretty much the set up i have on my car except different rims. the staggered look is bad *** but i havent noticed any excessive tire wear in the back as opposed to the front. in fact last time i looked i thought the fronts might be worn down a little more, but it has mostly appeared to be even wear for me. but i do know staggering isnt the best when it comes to handling, but if your just a track day for fun kind of guy, i wouldnt worry too much. but when i do get my track day rims (theyll be sve drifts as well) im going to get all the same size. just makes buying tires easier as well
Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Staggered wheels on these cars is also a handling disadvantage. They have 9.5" wheels as well, you don't have to do 10" all the way around. If all you're doing is drag racing, then the staggered setup works great.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

If I ever get on it....it will be in a straight line. I'm not too worried about corners, around town it will be normal driving.

I do love the idea of having some really wide tires in the back. I guess I'm concerned with wear. if they wear pretty evenly even with some time at the track then Ill be fine. I just don't want bald rears when the fronts have 5K miles left on them. and unless the trires (Nitto NT 555's) call for a burn out to warm them up...I will just bypass the water box and run it. I don't really have any desire to do burnouts ever. but I do like to take off the line quick...street light to street light
Old 04-02-2013, 10:58 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Minion
If I ever get on it....it will be in a straight line. I'm not too worried about corners, around town it will be normal driving.

I do love the idea of having some really wide tires in the back. I guess I'm concerned with wear. if they wear pretty evenly even with some time at the track then Ill be fine. I just don't want bald rears when the fronts have 5K miles left on them. and unless the trires (Nitto NT 555's) call for a burn out to warm them up...I will just bypass the water box and run it. I don't really have any desire to do burnouts ever. but I do like to take off the line quick...street light to street light
o lol i just figured that since you posted in the handling section you were talking about a road course. not sure how the wear will be then on a staggered set up with drag racing since ive maybe taken my car twice to the track
Old 04-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

I got ya. I'm in the "handling section" because its rims/tires related.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Your rears will most likely wear out faster than the fronts.

I only went staggerd in tire size, not rim size (235 in the front/255 in the rear) I can already tell (less than 6K miles) that the rear is wearing faster than the front with similar driving habits to yours, Quick off the line 'street light to street light'.

Not a big deal to me at least. I prefer the slight traction advantage.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:30 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Shoot, in that case do it! It looks sweet too.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:31 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Your rears will most likely wear out faster than the fronts.

I only went staggerd in tire size, not rim size (235 in the front/255 in the rear) I can already tell (less than 6K miles) that the rear is wearing faster than the front with similar driving habits to yours, Quick off the line 'street light to street light'.

Not a big deal to me at least. I prefer the slight traction advantage.
You can actually feel a traction advantage between a 235 and 255 tire?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:00 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Why do so many companies run staggered tires on their performance cars if it is a disadvantage? Why does the Boss 302 have a staggered fitment?

Seems like more meat would be a good thing.

Quick Reply: Will I regret going staggered?