Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

bc coilover question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:15 AM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

Default bc coilover question

im in a debate to get some bc coilovers.

i liked to kno wat ur guys opinion? i drove my friends tein flex coilovers omg they were uncomfortable and i was flying all over the place. he then sold his teins and got the eibach r2 and i love them but cant really see myself paying over 2k for these coils and plus i have to buy cc plates.

the bc coilovers comes with everything. all other cars sti s2k etc say they r comfortable. and i was wondering if any of u guys think these coilovers r comfortable on the street? i have tein s tech springs with roush shocks and their not too bad. a lil harsh but i can handle them.

tein s tech springs r

Lowers Approximately(inches):
Lowers Front -1.5
Lowers Rear -2.2

Spring Rates
(kgf/mm and lbs/in)
Front 3.1 / 174
Rear 3.1 / 174

bc coilovers

Spring Rates: (F) 7kg/mm (392lbs/in) (R) 5kg/mm (280lbs/in)

wat do u guys think?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:36 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

Well if you're looking for "comfort" and "coilovers", I feel that's not really something you'll find. Coils are designed as more of a performance setup, rather than comfort.

I have the BC racing coils.
The ride is stiff, and when you hit any kind of bump you're definitely going to feel it.
Performance wise they're great, easy to adjust, and they actually have more options for adjustment then other typical coils.

Rather than just adjusting the spring perch on the front struts, you can also adjust the height of the lower mounting bracket. Which means you can lower the car without screwing without drastically affecting suspension geometry.

My only complaint is issues with the sway bar end link mounting (see my thread here- https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...coilovers.html)

and the rear shocks suck.

I'll be selling my BC shocks eventually, and buying Tokico D-Spec shocks. As I had D-specs before my coils and loved them.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

As someone who owns a set KW Variant 1s - I got it for the DROP - NOT the comfort.
That + 20s = Daily Drivers Nightmare.

I love it, its so stiff, so responsive and sharp.
Not comfortable at all, when I hit a bump or a pothole, I find myself looking in the mirror to see if anything fell off (Yes, that bad).
Mind you, I'm riding on Low Profile 20-inch wheels. Everyday.

The ride looks bad ***; Anywhere I take it, people are taking pics of the drop and nothing else.
Expect to be turned away by a lot of shops too, due to it being too low. The Steeda we have here, hates my car, takes them quite a bit of time to get it up on the hoist.

I haven't seen much good feedback from the BC set, thats why I didn't go for them.

I went with KW because my car is drive year round and I needed BUILD QUALITY for the Coils. KW appeared to be one fo the fews with full stainless steel construction.
Love them so far, I get them regreased every year and they come out as good as new.
Great thing is I didn't pay much for them, from like $1800 down to $1200ish

This was after 6 months of daily use:
Name:  ZEkxFbl.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  497.4 KB

Grease + Anti seize - Prep'ing for Winter
Name:  h6aO0Gz.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  640.9 KB

THE DROP
Name:  lsoI5.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  701.3 KB
Name:  Rul3j.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  701.4 KB
Name:  2vqyB.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  737.0 KB
Name:  AhoiY.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  759.0 KB
Name:  nHPM3.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  674.3 KB
Name:  BsZK7.jpg
Size:  664.2 KB
Name:  ka17S.jpg
Size:  735.4 KB
Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
Well if you're looking for "comfort" and "coilovers", I feel that's not really something you'll find. Coils are designed as more of a performance setup, rather than comfort.

I have the BC racing coils.
The ride is stiff, and when you hit any kind of bump you're definitely going to feel it.
Performance wise they're great, easy to adjust, and they actually have more options for adjustment then other typical coils.

Rather than just adjusting the spring perch on the front struts, you can also adjust the height of the lower mounting bracket. Which means you can lower the car without screwing without drastically affecting suspension geometry.

My only complaint is issues with the sway bar end link mounting (see my thread here- https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...coilovers.html)

and the rear shocks suck.

I'll be selling my BC shocks eventually, and buying Tokico D-Spec shocks. As I had D-specs before my coils and loved them.

thanks for the reply guys. im not llooking for the most comfortable coilovers but some kind of stiffness i dont mind. on the comfort between 1 - 10. 10 been the most comfortable and 1 being worst comfortablility wat do u say the coilovers would be rated?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:10 PM
silverstang23
2nd Gear Member

I have kw v3s. They are the most comfortable co's that I've found. If you aren't willing to shell out so,e money for a good set of co then they aren't for you. Cheap ones ride like crap. Just get some springs and shocks
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SYNY5TER
thanks for the reply guys. im not llooking for the most comfortable coilovers but some kind of stiffness i dont mind. on the comfort between 1 - 10. 10 been the most comfortable and 1 being worst comfortablility wat do u say the coilovers would be rated?
Where are you at in CA? I have BC's and will tell you that it is no picnic being as low as i am but i am comfortable. You learn to drive low and adjust. That easy. and i believe others dont really "use" the adjustability that is offered with these coils. Front spring preload, rear shock heigh, etc. etc.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 AM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

I have the BC Racing BR-type coilovers (http://www.bcracing-na.com/products/br-type/), and only have a 1 inch gap front/rear...so I'm not too low since it's a daily driver...you're definitely not going to get the OEM cushy, floating ride you're used to when you switch to coilovers but like DRock, I'm also comfy in my setup. Most people don't take advantage or know how to setup these coilovers. I've maximized the travel on these coilovers, so only the height is adjusted. Mind you, on these BC's these are 2 separate adjustments. To answer your question, if 10 is your OEM cushy, floaty suspension (which I hate)...I would consider my current setup a 7 in comfort since it is firmer (which I like). You will feel the nooks, crannies & bumps in the road more, but the ride is not harsh. Google and you'll read all types of positive reviews on these coilovers especially from Pontiac G8, Camaro owners and of course you're import crowd (Subaru, Bmw, etc). For an entry-level coilover, it is a lot of bang for the price..here is a comprehensive review that helped me make a decision: http://features.evolutionm.net/article.php?id=84

Contact Hillbank Motorsports in Irvine, CA and ask for Michael Doscher.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:57 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRock
Where are you at in CA? I have BC's and will tell you that it is no picnic being as low as i am but i am comfortable. You learn to drive low and adjust. That easy. and i believe others dont really "use" the adjustability that is offered with these coils. Front spring preload, rear shock heigh, etc. etc.
i live in torrance area. i feel lik i can get comfortable with the coils but im in a debate with bc or eibach r1.

and magnido45 i heard about hillbank motorsport i was actually gonna get it from them until i heard that they were gonna tax me but imma decide today.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:41 PM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SYNY5TER

and magnido45 i heard about hillbank motorsport i was actually gonna get it from them until i heard that they were gonna tax me but imma decide today.
Yeah...I had to accept the tax...all shops in CA will have to charge you...didn't want to order stuff out of state (no tax) and have problems with the components failing after the install...it would be a headache to get things fixed with the online vendors because you have to prove that the components failed and it wasn't because of the installer...it's a lot easier to have problems fixed when you buy from a shop and have them install it too...Hillbank will save you on labor...those guys are fast!!! Keep us posted
Old 04-29-2013, 03:55 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by magnido45
Yeah...I had to accept the tax...all shops in CA will have to charge you...didn't want to order stuff out of state (no tax) and have problems with the components failing after the install...it would be a headache to get things fixed with the online vendors because you have to prove that the components failed and it wasn't because of the installer...it's a lot easier to have problems fixed when you buy from a shop and have them install it too...Hillbank will save you on labor...those guys are fast!!! Keep us posted
yup ill probably stop by today to pick them up.

Quick Reply: bc coilover question