Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Koni srt

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 AM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

Default Koni srt

are these really a performance upgrade over stock or are they pretty much an OE replacement for cars with lowering springs.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:45 PM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

You may not notice a significant performance upgrade. The SRTs are the dampers the car should have come with from the factory.
If you are looking for performance then buy the Koni Sports (Yellows). You will have rebound adjustment.
Coil-over set ups are good for road course HPDE and racing applications. KW Variant 3s are nice and affordable. Olin, Penske and AST are at the upper end.
Overall, your research and choice depends on your driving application.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

They are a significant improvement over stock. I have the Koni Yellows set on their softest setting (same setting as the SRTs) and they made a huge difference. Every aspect of my handling is leaps and bounds ahead of stock. I would highly recommend them over stock shocks and struts. They made the single biggest improvement in handling besides my watts link and are great place to start to improve the car's characteristics.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:00 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Great info, I'm looking at these to go with my springs that sitting in the garage.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

+1 CMcNam. They are a huge improvement over stock. Firm, but not harsh. I did have them with my stock springs and wheels, and now i am running them with a set of Eibach Pro's and 20 inch wheels, and i like them alot. I have no complaints about the ride. I have a friend running the Eibach Pros, and no other changes and all he does is complain about the ride. Definitely worth the money.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BeachBlv
are these really a performance upgrade over stock or are they pretty much an OE replacement for cars with lowering springs.

They are an upgrade, they have much better rebound damping than stock. That said, I prefer more (personally) and more is in comparison to stock which is severely lacking.

I'm not going to say you NEED Sports. I very much feel the STR.T's are much more like what should have been stock on the car. Better, but still not what I'd want.

Perfect example: I cannot think of one customer of mine who opted for Koni Sports (adjustable) that has decided to run them at or near full soft, which is more where the STR.T's are setup. If they thought that was better, they certainly have that option. Something to think about.

Now a few other things to mention and that you should consider. Both STR.T's and Sports are in stock here. Sports are direct fit struts, STR.T's are not and require over $100 worth of strut mounts to make them fit, which cuts into the 'savings' vs. Sports. Yes, that's still a couple hundred bucks less, but now the value isn't quite as good as it was when you were saving $300. Does that put you over the edge to give up adjustment? It's personal.

Both are lifetime warranty, both are Koni valving and warrantied. Sports are made in Holland, STR.T's are made in South America. I can say that I we have fewer failures on Sports than STR.T's, but STR.T's are no higher in that rate than say Tokico's.

Does that help?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:22 AM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the info guys! I think from the info I read I will be going with the sports, I didn't think about the strut mounts. Thank you for the info guys!!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I try to point out the pitfalls to people.

I've got both STR.T's and Sports in stock, and remember that little details like the above aren't found just everywhere that sells parts! I've also used Koni's to win every one of my SCCA national championships too, so I'm very familiar with their damping range and get help you on setting them up.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:22 PM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man, I appreciate it! I will be talking to you about getting a set soon!