Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 01:02 PM
maxuwp

Default Tires

I am due for some new skin on my 11 GT. Not sure if I should stick with the OE Pirelli's or the Goodyear RSA2. Any thoughts. I have about 46000 on the Pirelli's...and besides the fact they seem to attract nails/screws they have been a great tire.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Bullitt2059

I just changed from michelin pilot sport ps2's to bf goodrich sport comp 2 tires and love them. The tread rating is reported to be pretty high, and I have a couple friends with various vehicles running them. Worth taking a look at them.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:23 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

maxuwp,

Were you happy with the grip of your OE Pirelli's? Are you looking for more grip? Are you okay with a slightly shorter tread life with more grip? Is the car driven in the winter?

Provide me a few more details on what you're looking for in a tire and we'll figure out what's best for you!

Shane
Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 AM
maxuwp

I am happy with the grip, and yes the car is driven year around. If it snows 6 inches or more I just don't drive but the grip overall the last few winters was adequate for the type of car. I would consider myself a spirited driver some of the time (fast cornering, sideways out of a turn, and just burying the pedal) but do drive mostly conservative (which lends itself to 46,000 on a set of tires). The Pirelli's do seem a bit noisy though as they get more miles on. If there is one thing I would like in a different tire it would be less noise. Thanks for the 2cents.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Order_66
2nd Gear Member

i too second the BFGs Sport comp 2.

my zeros wore out at 22K miles. I wasnt happy about that. I went with the sport comp 2's and these thing are FAR better than the pirellis. super happy. plus, they are cheaper to boot.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:43 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by maxuwp
I am happy with the grip, and yes the car is driven year around. If it snows 6 inches or more I just don't drive but the grip overall the last few winters was adequate for the type of car. I would consider myself a spirited driver some of the time (fast cornering, sideways out of a turn, and just burying the pedal) but do drive mostly conservative (which lends itself to 46,000 on a set of tires). The Pirelli's do seem a bit noisy though as they get more miles on. If there is one thing I would like in a different tire it would be less noise. Thanks for the 2cents.
maxuwp,

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like you want to stick with an all season tire then? Lots of people run summer tires year round too, but there's definitely a risk in cold weather or snow.

If you're interested in a summer tire that works better than others in year round weather, then I suggest the Sumitomo High Performance HTR Z III tire. It will certainly be quieter than your Pirelli's and be a little sticker for handling. However, keep in mind this is still considered a summer tire, so extra caution during winter months is important.

That being said, if you're interested in another all season tire, it's hard to beat the Pirelli's! They are a little noisy like you mentioned, but work well all year round. For the price, there's not many all seasons that are superior.

Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns!

Shane
Old 08-29-2013, 05:10 PM
philstireservice
Former Sponsor

<--------- BFG Sport Comp 2
Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

I've actually seriously considered the Sumitomo's after talking to Dan at AM about a wheel/tire package.

I've also had great luck with the General GMax.

Annnnd I also am loving the Michelin Pilot Cups on my Vert right now.

Michelin's probably the longest lasting of those 3 I mentioned.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:56 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

So what's the "harm" in actually running a summer tire in the winter? It gets cold here and does sometimes snow. My car is my DD. Is it just that there isn't as much grip due to the summer compound of the tire, or can it actually damage the tire driving it in the cold?
Old 08-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Bullitt2059

Originally Posted by hootie_john
So what's the "harm" in actually running a summer tire in the winter? It gets cold here and does sometimes snow. My car is my DD. Is it just that there isn't as much grip due to the summer compound of the tire, or can it actually damage the tire driving it in the cold?
as far as i know it shouldn't "damage" the tire. however in cold weather, anything below maybe 50, and especially near freezing, the tire just does not grip the road very well, even in the dry. i've seen this happen on much lower powered cars, so it could definitely be an issue on our rear drive mustangs.

In the snow, a true summer tire is really bad. The tread doesn't move around at all, so grip is very limited. the tread gets packed with snow and then you're not going anywhere.

Quick Reply: Tires