Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowering on the cheap

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:26 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Thanks The ride in question is an '06GT with 26K, now my DD. Purely street driven - no intentions of autox, there may be a drag pass or two in her future at some point.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I would most typically use Steeda HD mounts in that scenario.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:08 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Just as an update, I got the alignment done this morning. Toe was the only thing out of spec on the driver side. Camber was -0.3 on the left, adjusted to -0.5; on the right, -1.1 adjusted to -0.8. The toe was causing some inside tire wear.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Paul_VS
2nd Gear Member

UPDATE:

I just bought the "SR Performance" Springs from American Muscle (on sale for $99).

I'm going to just have the springs installed and see how it goes.

So here's the next question....

Do I get this done in the Chicago winter (lots of snow, ice, etc.) or wait until spring? Does lowering have any effect either way on how the car deals with the white stuff?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:45 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

With reduced ground clearance, you wouldn't be able to deal with quite as much of it until ther roads have been cleared (duh).

At least in theory, the stiffer spring rate will reduce the effective amount of tire grip.

Norm
Old 12-05-2013, 12:09 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Paul_VS
UPDATE:

I just bought the "SR Performance" Springs from American Muscle (on sale for $99).

I'm going to just have the springs installed and see how it goes.

So here's the next question....

Do I get this done in the Chicago winter (lots of snow, ice, etc.) or wait until spring? Does lowering have any effect either way on how the car deals with the white stuff?
Install them in the winter, enjoy them in the Spring. That reduced clearance is going to catch a lot of snow.

Install the springs yourself. It's very easy, all you need is to rent a spring compression tool from Autozone or something and have a little time and a little patience. Check out a how-to on this forum, I promise you it's simple.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Allupinya
2nd Gear Member

Typically when you take the cheap route you pay more in the end.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Paul, I got the same deal and I plan on just doing springs alone and later adding panhard and other things later if they prove necessary. Some may call this "the cheap route", but I've gone this way om many cars in the past with no ill effects. After doing my research on this car, I do believe all will be well.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Paul_VS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fox Fader
Paul, I got the same deal and I plan on just doing springs alone and later adding panhard and other things later if they prove necessary. Some may call this "the cheap route", but I've gone this way om many cars in the past with no ill effects. After doing my research on this car, I do believe all will be well.
The more research I do on it, the more it seems a small drop like this won't need any further equipment. But I do plan on upgrading the other things (shocks/struts/panhard/CCP, etc) down the road.

I'm probably waiting until Spring to install my springs.... so let us know how it works for you. I'm most curious about how the wheel alignment shakes out afterwards.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:52 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Paul_VS
The more research I do on it, the more it seems a small drop like this won't need any further equipment. But I do plan on upgrading the other things (shocks/struts/panhard/CCP, etc) down the road.

I'm probably waiting until Spring to install my springs.... so let us know how it works for you. I'm most curious about how the wheel alignment shakes out afterwards.
With my 07, I used Steeda Sport springs, and nothing else, took it in for alignment, and shop told me it was still good to go, no charge out the door happy day for me.
But shocks and struts started to wear pretty fast, I think the horrible roads up here helped some.

Quick Reply: Lowering on the cheap