Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

autocross setups?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 04:58 PM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

Default autocross setups?

for those of you that have competed in autocross, which setups or parts really made a difference? for the class I'm going to be in I can do springs , shocks sway bars, tires, etc. I know whats available, but I know most reviews on American muscle are probably from daily drivers, not cars that have been on the track. Any advice or reviews would be appreciated

thanks
Rob
Old 10-31-2013, 07:03 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

I need to know which class you are looking to race in because the rules for one don't apply to another. I can assume that you are looking to race in STX, or ESP. The major difference between the two classes is the tire and wheel allowances. STX is for street tires and ESP allows slicks which is needed to be competitive. For initial mods I'd start out with adjustable struts and shocks (Koni Yellows) with performance springs (Steeda Ultralites). That will help the nose dive on heavy braking and help with some body roll. The one mod that make the biggest difference initially will be your choice of tires. I'd recommend you get a separate set of wheels and tires only for racing so you can afford to buy good tires and not wear them out driving to work.

Last edited by darksky1984; 10-31-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:20 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I autocrossed on Koni Yellows and UPR/Eibach Pro lowering springs. It was the autocross equivalent of Test n Tune because I wasn't out there trying to win my class, but the parts worked well enough to allow me to focus on my driving and not complain about the car.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:05 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

I run Eibach Pro Springs, Whiteline Upper and Lower w/ relocation bracket, along with their panhard and sway bars. I don't actually race, I just take it on the track for the fun of it.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 AM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by darksky1984
I need to know which class you are looking to race in because the rules for one don't apply to another. I can assume that you are looking to race in STX, or ESP. The major difference between the two classes is the tire and wheel allowances. STX is for street tires and ESP allows slicks which is needed to be competitive. For initial mods I'd start out with adjustable struts and shocks (Koni Yellows) with performance springs (Steeda Ultralites). That will help the nose dive on heavy braking and help with some body roll. The one mod that make the biggest difference initially will be your choice of tires. I'd recommend you get a separate set of wheels and tires only for racing so you can afford to buy good tires and not wear them out driving to work.
I ran in f stock this year, but I don't think I can go another year without lowering the car, so I believe I'll be in stx. I figured shocks and springs would be the place to start. For some reason adjustable shocks for the 2011+ mustangs are really expensive, I don't think I have found a set for under 750. At least they last a while though
Old 11-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Sartolw

Originally Posted by MustangVixenGT
I run Eibach Pro Springs, Whiteline Upper and Lower w/ relocation bracket, along with their panhard and sway bars. I don't actually race, I just take it on the track for the fun of it.
Relocation brackets and changing of lower Control arms put you in a modded class as fare as SCCA

If you Run Street touring or Streep Prep Class with the mustang. Sway bars help alot, the rear swaybar will help tranfer the rear roll from effecting the front end turning

Last edited by Sartolw; 11-01-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:07 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RWHEELS
for those of you that have competed in autocross, which setups or parts really made a difference? for the class I'm going to be in I can do springs , shocks sway bars, tires, etc. I know whats available, but I know most reviews on American muscle are probably from daily drivers, not cars that have been on the track. Any advice or reviews would be appreciated

thanks
Rob
It sounds like everyone has given you a lot of great advice so far and you're definitely on the right track. When it comes to autocross, it really depends on what class you're going to run in. But the obvious mods you need are a really good tire, lowering springs and adjustable struts/shocks. After that, you could go with upper and lower control arms, sway bars, relocation bracket etc.. and really get the suspension dialed in!

Once we're all on the same page with what class you want to run in, we can give a more accurate recommendation! I look forward to your response.

-Dan
Old 11-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Need to figure out what class you WANT to run. Some of the things mentions are not legal in any class where the car is remotely competitive (like LCA's or brackets). UCA's and that bracket are ok in STX and ESP.

What makes the biggest difference in pure speed, aside from tires? Well, you'd want to start with 3 things. Koni Sports, a good set of springs (there are option here), and a set of Camber plates. That's not saying that you'd not want to also do sway bars, a Watts link, a GOOD limited slip, bigger wheels, etc.... but if you are looking to get the car to work better, faster.. you start with the 3 basic thing I mentioned.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:17 PM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

thanks for the help guys, I'll probably decide by January whether I stick with stock or go to stx, if autocross was my only concern, I would stay in the stock class , but for daily driving, open track days, and mountain roads I really want to lower it. And of course cost is always a factor, most of what I want for 2011+ mustangs isnt cheap yet, especially 19 in tires!
Old 11-01-2013, 11:02 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

If you go STX or ESP you can go down to 18in wheels and buy cheaper tires. If you don't have the brembo package you might be able to squeeze 17in wheels on too.

Quick Reply: autocross setups?