Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Need Help w/Autocross Tire Selection

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:37 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I'm not saying you are trying to cheat someone, and I get that you would want to not run more camber than you otherwise could in stock, but the fact of the matter is it's not a legal thing to do, and someone will likely get their shorts in a twist over it then they do something maybe you don't like either to their car or throw a protest at you, and on it goes.

As for STU, that was requested by other STX Mustang guys so they can run bigger wheels.

I'm not a big Rival fan. Lots of hoopla, lots of ego stroking. Not a bad tire, not the end all be all it was made out to be by a lot of folks who got a cool free weekend in Louisiana. FWIW, I was there too, invited even though BFG makes nothing for my car, and I don't run ST cars. It's in the mix, but this street tire thing has made for a situation where some tires do A and B better, some do C and D, some are better on this surface, some on that.

I'd do Z2's, maybe Rivals I guess but I'd be careful about the recommendations of the Rival, because a lot of it is hype and they didn't do so hot Nationally as the year wore on.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:41 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'm not saying you are trying to cheat someone, and I get that you would want to not run more camber than you otherwise could in stock, but the fact of the matter is it's not a legal thing to do, and someone will likely get their shorts in a twist over it then they do something maybe you don't like either to their car or throw a protest at you, and on it goes.

As for STU, that was requested by other STX Mustang guys so they can run bigger wheels.

I'm not a big Rival fan. Lots of hoopla, lots of ego stroking. Not a bad tire, not the end all be all it was made out to be by a lot of folks who got a cool free weekend in Louisiana. FWIW, I was there too, invited even though BFG makes nothing for my car, and I don't run ST cars. It's in the mix, but this street tire thing has made for a situation where some tires do A and B better, some do C and D, some are better on this surface, some on that.

I'd do Z2's, maybe Rivals I guess but I'd be careful about the recommendations of the Rival, because a lot of it is hype and they didn't do so hot Nationally as the year wore on.
I knew certain STX mustang owners wanted to run 20mm more of tire. I sent the SCCA a letter telling what a bad move it was and I obviously got shot down. I have a hard enough time keeping up with AWD cars in STX and then they throw us into STU with higher horsepower AWD cars with bigger tires.

I like the fact I can flip a Z2 and the locals say it holds up to heat. I'm going to go with those and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:54 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Last edited by darksky1984; 01-25-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:24 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by J95SNAKE
I knew certain STX mustang owners wanted to run 20mm more of tire. I sent the SCCA a letter telling what a bad move it was and I obviously got shot down. I have a hard enough time keeping up with AWD cars in STX and then they throw us into STU with higher horsepower AWD cars with bigger tires.
One thing you learn when you talk to as many people as I do, is that logic is often left by the side of the road (well good logic). 20mm of tire won't help against faster cars, let alone a C5 Corvette.

None the less, with the changes to stock, er.... Street... whatever the absolute best place for a Mustang, competitively, is in ESP. The nice thing is that tire wear drops when we can work with the suspension, and a basic STX/U type car is quite competitive in ESP even Nationally if it's got a good driver.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:12 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

One thing you learn when you talk to as many people as I do, is that logic is often left by the side of the road (well good logic). 20mm of tire won't help against faster cars, let alone a C5 Corvette.

None the less, with the changes to stock, er.... Street... whatever the absolute best place for a Mustang, competitively, is in ESP. The nice thing is that tire wear drops when we can work with the suspension, and a basic STX/U type car is quite competitive in ESP even Nationally if it's got a good driver.
I want to compete in PAX. Our region is small so certain classes are only one deep and this increases my competition. ESP is a good class especially since I don't want to remove my plates. Problem is, the PAX sucks like STU's.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

ESP index doesn't suck, it's very accurate. ESP cars are as fast and sometimes faster than Super Stock cars. Trouble is you need a well prepped ESP car. But that's not really any different than trying to run top times in any class that has run to it's potential Nationally, as all those indexes will reflect that speed.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Sartolw

j95snake Fellow louisiana autocrosser Delta region here. Where are you running this year? We got one of our fast stx mustangs just changed over to esp and went from rs3 to rivals 295s . i came in 2nd to him and lost by 6 secs, he came in 3rd i think is overall raw time and higher is pax if i remember. Just ordered a set of rivals myself. We also have an evo on rivals running top 5 overall raw. The evo and mustang have been very close to each other last year as well.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:06 AM
Sartolw

Wait 6esp ?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:19 AM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

ESP index doesn't suck, it's very accurate. ESP cars are as fast and sometimes faster than Super Stock cars. Trouble is you need a well prepped ESP car. But that's not really any different than trying to run top times in any class that has run to it's potential Nationally, as all those indexes will reflect that speed.
For me, the index isn't good because I am trying to compete on the limited budget I have. Which is the reason why I have been in STX that only allows street tires. The budget also prevents me from being well prepared, but, being well prepared (or max'ing out the class) isn't exactly necessary locally. You do need prep but not like nationals. This is the tightest my budget has ever been so this year will be a challenge.

Originally Posted by Sartolw
j95snake Fellow louisiana autocrosser Delta region here. Where are you running this year? We got one of our fast stx mustangs just changed over to esp and went from rs3 to rivals 295s . i came in 2nd to him and lost by 6 secs, he came in 3rd i think is overall raw time and higher is pax if i remember. Just ordered a set of rivals myself. We also have an evo on rivals running top 5 overall raw. The evo and mustang have been very close to each other last year as well.
I remember him. He was at the first TLAC last year. We both ran RS3s and he got us by 4 tenths. If I remember correctly he has coil overs and a Watts link. My '13 only has a set of Boss 302 struts/shocks and cc plates. I have to run on the cheap which is why my car isn't prepped to the max. Which is also why I think the Z2s are best because I can flip them and at least finish the season.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Sartolw

Yea his car is nicely decked out. Whats yalls region event surface like. Had one of our guys get a season on a set of used rs3 but that was at nola motorsport and their surface was very friendly on tires.

If you missed our tlac at delta

good little recap of what you missed ;-)

Quick Reply: Need Help w/Autocross Tire Selection