Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Install now or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 01:05 AM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

Contact John at Trackspec motorsports. You can get a set of Koni STR.Ts on your doorstep for less than $400 im pretty sure. If I remember right it was around $385, do it right the first time.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

100kit - the advantage to Koni "yellows" is that you can dial the amount of damping up to give tighter control over the suspension's motions.

If you're at all involved in autocross or road course track days, or only want to take an enthusiastic drive out in the country it's a simple adjustment to shift your car between being more of an easy-going daily driver to more of a cornering car.

Some people even prefer firmer damping control over the suspension in their daily driving over what you get with OE or OE replacement shocks & struts after they've seen a few thousand miles. Most folks don't understand how much suspension movement is happening even in normal daily driving until they've driven a car with firm damping.

Norm
Old 01-18-2014, 11:31 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
A lot of help so far with making my decision, thanks everyone.

Thats true AJ. If it turns out i can bare it for a while then ill probably just wait it out for that sale ive been hearing about. Im a student taking trains 3 days a week and like I said i dont take that car anywhere far either so I probably could just bare with it. The crappy part though is that i would have to do that work to put in the springs all over again, but at least is not as hard as my last job... LT headers on cinderblocks and stands. Whats is making you want the KONI yellows?
Yeah, it really honestly isn't that hard of work, and once you've done it once, it'll be even easier the next time.

Norm summed up the yellows pretty well. They are the adjustables which give you control of how firm or soft the ride is (to an extent). Personally, I don't mind a slightly firmer ride than most. I like to feel the road as I drive. I've always heard the STR.Ts described as "about as firm as the Yellows on their lowest setting". I haven't compared for myself, but that would still be a great improvement over stock, and maybe plenty for lots of people, but with a lifetime warranty I decided to just pony up the cash for the yellows and always have that option.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:47 AM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BeachBlv
Contact John at Trackspec motorsports. You can get a set of Koni STR.Ts on your doorstep for less than $400 im pretty sure. If I remember right it was around $385, do it right the first time.
Cool thanks. How do you feel about these.. Too soft too firm just right?
Old 01-18-2014, 12:13 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Im guessing you just have to turn some kind of bolt or something to adjust the yellows? Those sound really good to have, my only thing is that idk if I will use them to their full potential. My car never sees the track and I'm not sure if I would even play around with the damping on them. I'd be easily satisfied the way they feel stock while my main focus is finding something to handle the drop of my Pro Kit springs. I do live in the city and there are bumpy and messed up roads especially the parkway near my house, so I'm not sure if that should influence me to get adjustables or just regular dampeners. One thing for sure though, I wouldn't mind a slightly stiffer ride either but not so much where i start to feel like I'm hitting a bunch of potholes
Old 01-18-2014, 12:16 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Im guessing you just have to turn some kind of bolt or something to adjust the yellows? Those sound really good to have, my only thing is that idk if I will use them to their full potential. My car never sees the track and I'm not sure if I would even play around with the damping on them. I'd be easily satisfied the way they feel stock while my main focus is finding something to handle the drop of my Pro Kit springs. I do live in the city and there are bumpy and messed up roads especially the parkway near my house, so I'm not sure if that should influence me to get adjustables or just regular dampeners. One thing for sure though, I wouldn't mind a slightly stiffer ride either but not so much where i start to feel like I'm hitting a bunch of potholes
Sounds like you'd be just fine with the STR.Ts then. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are bad or even necessarily worse than the yellows, it's more just a matter of what you want out of it. They are certainly cheaper and would be a great improvement over stock still.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You turn a little flat stem that sticks up out of the strut or shock shaft.

The tool I'm using is something I made a couple of weeks after I installed my yellows. The tool that ships with the yellows is harder to use - has less leverage, is less durable and harder to hit the same adjustment on both sides. I just have to be careful to avoid trying to turn the adjustment past either the full soft or full firm stops because I have so much better leverage with my little DIY wrench. I've heard that there may be some commercially available Koni adjusting tools, but they can't beat the price I paid for mine .

Norm
Old 01-18-2014, 08:06 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ06GT
Sounds like you'd be just fine with the STR.Ts then. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are bad or even necessarily worse than the yellows, it's more just a matter of what you want out of it. They are certainly cheaper and would be a great improvement over stock still.
I'm kinda leaning towards them more than the eibachs, although I feel like it would work better together since they were designed for that purpose. BeachBlv mentioned the STR T's from Trakspec Motorsports. They're actually $370 right now without any sale or coupons + free shipping. Has anyone seen them cheaper, maybe even during the KONi sale?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:09 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

That's great Norm lol. Nothing like a successful DIY job! So how do you know how soft or stiff each is? Does it click or something while you turn it
Old 01-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

No clicks with Koni yellows, so you have to keep track of how many turns and/or fractions of turns you are from one end or the other. Most shock tuning philosophies have you starting full soft and adding damping, so what I do when I make adjustments is first dial the shock or strut back to full soft (so I know where I'm starting from). Then I crank it up to where I want to try it. Typically I'm running a little more adjustment up front than out back, and that may just be my preference for "feel" for the types of driving I do (performance street and a little open tracking). At autocross I might reverse that, but I don't do that very much any more.

Just so you know, quarter turns are more than enough to feel the difference between and you might even feel eighth turn adjustments if you're paying close enough attention.

Hotrodding used to mean you had to do or even make lots of things yourself.

Norm

Quick Reply: Install now or wait?