Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Which panhard bar do you recommend (components, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:22 AM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Default Which panhard bar do you recommend (components, etc)

Getting parts compatible with the coilovers I plan to purchase. I'll be needing a panhard bar. Whats the difference between the BMR and the J&M panhard bar? I did some research and the BMR uses DOM tubing, the J&M uses OD tubing. I couldn't clarify the difference. I figured since the BMR is more expensive, maybe the DOM tubing is more durable? What are your thoughts?
If there is an alternate panhard bar you'd recommend, let me know.

BMR Panhard:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bmr-adj-panhard-0512.html

J&M Panhard:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/jm-adj-panhard-0512.html

Also, should I purchase a panhard support brace? I would most likely go with the whiteline one.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/whitel...race-0513.html

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:56 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Watts Link.

You won't regret it. If you're going coil overs.. Then go Watts Link.

---
Old 01-28-2014, 06:38 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I went with J&M Panhard Bar. I just installed it and have only driven a few miles, but it is a great piece. I was able to adjust it with ease after it was installed on the car. I just went with steel bar. I didn't do panhard support brace, but it depends on your application. Everything I have read and seen from J&M is that they make quality products.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
Getting parts compatible with the coilovers I plan to purchase. I'll be needing a panhard bar.
Any requirement for PHB adjustability depends on where the axle ends up either after installing lowering springs or setting coilover heights, probably on the details of how you actually go about doing the lowering (loosening control arm and PHB bolts, lowering, retorquing at the new ride height with the suspension fully loaded), and on how fussy you're going to be.

Also, should I purchase a panhard support brace? I would most likely go with the whiteline one.
Unless you're going to show the car and put a mirror down to show off some pretty aftermarket PHB brace, don't bother with this. The OE one that's already there is strong enough and durable enough for any normal driving situation.

Norm
Old 01-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I have the UMI on car adjustable, its good, but you really need to tighten it down well. Mine came loose twice when i first installed it, got it really tight and now i havent had any issues. On- car adjustable helps alot.

havent tried a watts link but its better in theory, but also significantly more expensive, a bit heavier, and harder to install
Old 01-28-2014, 09:15 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
Getting parts compatible with the coilovers I plan to purchase. I'll be needing a panhard bar. Whats the difference between the BMR and the J&M panhard bar? I did some research and the BMR uses DOM tubing, the J&M uses OD tubing. I couldn't clarify the difference. I figured since the BMR is more expensive, maybe the DOM tubing is more durable? What are your thoughts?
If there is an alternate panhard bar you'd recommend, let me know.

BMR Panhard:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bmr-adj-panhard-0512.html

J&M Panhard:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/jm-adj-panhard-0512.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/whitel...race-0513.html

Thanks!
Both of the above options will do the trick for you. When lowering my car I went with the J&M Panhard bar. I haven't had any issues with it and all! The fit and finish is great and the on car adjustability is awesome. When installing the Panhard bar I didn't go with a Support brace. I've heard a ton of feedback on them and a lot of people are really enjoying them. They add a little extra strength to prevent deflection under load.

Definitely keep us posted with what you go with. I honestly don't think you can go wrong! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

-Dan
Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

I went with the J&M and I wish I had gone with the BMR. The J&M can be a little difficult to tighten down if you are using jack stands to install everything. The BMR would be easier since you only tighten down one location, not two.

Also, the grease nipples are easier to get to with the BMR.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:44 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
Watts Link.

You won't regret it. If you're going coil overs.. Then go Watts Link.

---
+1000!

IMHO, the reason I have always steered clear of adjustable panhard bars is this...
You're replacing an OEM part that is now out of alignment with an aftermarket part that allows you to adjust that part back to the OEM position to perform the same function as the OEM part. To me, it's not an upgrade, its an adapter.
They are an affordable option for most enthusiasts and work as designed, just not my thing.
If you want to get everything out of what you're driving and upgrade the rear suspension, spend the extra $$$ and get the Whiteline watts link...you won't regret it!!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:36 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by steel pony
+1000!

IMHO, the reason I have always steered clear of adjustable panhard bars is this...
You're replacing an OEM part that is now out of alignment with an aftermarket part that allows you to adjust that part back to the OEM position to perform the same function as the OEM part. To me, it's not an upgrade, its an adapter.
They are an affordable option for most enthusiasts and work as designed, just not my thing.
If you want to get everything out of what you're driving and upgrade the rear suspension, spend the extra $$$ and get the Whiteline watts link...you won't regret it!!
I agree the Whiteline watts links sets the bar to a whole new level, that isn't even on the same playing field as most adj Panhard bars. However, I would still say most adj panhard bars are more study than the factory unit. Especially with polyurethane pushing. It's still not a crazy upgrade, but an upgraded none the less.

For average enthusiast, an aftermarket adj panhard bar is perfect. For enthusiasts that have a modifying sickness... the watts link is the only way to go.

Shane
Old 01-31-2014, 12:33 AM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

If only I had the money for a watts link. I would love to have one installed. But for now it will prolly be either the j&m or bmr.