Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

spherical diff bushing

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 02:20 PM
gplracerx

Originally Posted by jayh007
I was told it was a two piece sleeve. I couldn't check it out since I had already installed the sleeve. It would have been a real pain in the *** to remove it.
I talked to John N at Steeda and he directed me to the manufacturer. The manufacturer was willing to exchange the part no problem but you are right they should know of quality control issues on this item.
Good luck
I take it back. In better light, there is a gap. I can also see metal shavings around the outside of the spherical bearing on both sides. I suspect that some of those shavings ended up between the two pieces, preventing them from being pressed all the way in. I may get a nut and bolt and see if that will press the two pieces together, but I doubt it. That would only work if they don't use very much pressure during manufacture.

The problem with filing the ends of the shaft is that if the gap does go away later, the bearing will become loose in the arm. The shaft appears to be aluminum, so filing would be easy.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:16 PM
gplracerx

Problem solved.

I bought a 1/2 20 bolt long enough to go through the bushing with washers for both ends and a nut. I put bolt, washers and nut on the bushing and torqued to 100 ft lbs. I let it sit for a while and when I took the bolt out. The bushing fit in the arm, barely. The proper bolt supplied with the bushing was a tight fit, but it did go through. I'm going to leave it in the arm until I can get it installed. I'm still going to complain to Steeda.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:25 PM
gplracerx

To add insult to injury, the bolt supplied with my spherical bushing was too short. It was 110mm long when it should have been 120mm. 110mm is the right length for the body end of the arm and adjustable mount. A trip to the hardware store fixed that for another $4.50. It really pays to see if things go together before installing them.