Steering Wheel Vibration Issue - MustangForums.com



S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
dacampora
Thread Starter
 
dacampora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: California
Posts: 23
Default Steering Wheel Vibration Issue

I've begun to experience a small issue with my '14 GT Track Pack where right turns at 80mph+ cause a significant steering wheel vibration. I can make it happen on a very sharp 70mph turn, i.e. taking a highway exit too fast, but at 80+ its very apparent. Even changing lanes will cause it.

My first thought was tire pressure, but all tires hold at 35psi. Then I figured wheel balance, but had the tires rotated and it still happens. Took the wheels off again to do a visual inspection. Without knowing what to look for, everything seems fine.

Ford dealership measured the brake pads, they're worn (5mm) but even, and the laptop the tech hooked up to the OBD port didn't show any irregularities with ABS, TC, RSC or any other sensors.

I realize that similar problems have been discussed in other threads, but without success in most cases, and mostly in combination with aftermarket wheels and tires. My car is completely, 100% stock, with just over 9k miles.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
dacampora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:04 AM   #2
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member
 
Rudolph Hucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: sweden
Posts: 1,128
Default

my tyres flat spot in a few days..it can take over an hour to correct itself once driving..
i have found this to be the cause of my steering wheel vibration.
also i found i need to drive it for an hour before getting the wheels balanced..these cars are mega sensitive to wheel balancing..
Rudolph Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 738
Default

Drive it for a good half hour. If it's still there then you have a problem. If it dies down and goes away it's just cold tires. Mine has a hell of a shake when you first start it up and get on the road (275's front/back don't help, neither do all the poly and spherical bushings). About 10-15 minutes or some quick good brake usage to heat the tires and it goes away completely.
gmoran1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #4
FordService
Official Ford Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 1,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacampora View Post
I've begun to experience a small issue with my '14 GT Track Pack where right turns at 80mph+ cause a significant steering wheel vibration. I can make it happen on a very sharp 70mph turn, i.e. taking a highway exit too fast, but at 80+ its very apparent. Even changing lanes will cause it.

My first thought was tire pressure, but all tires hold at 35psi. Then I figured wheel balance, but had the tires rotated and it still happens. Took the wheels off again to do a visual inspection. Without knowing what to look for, everything seems fine.

Ford dealership measured the brake pads, they're worn (5mm) but even, and the laptop the tech hooked up to the OBD port didn't show any irregularities with ABS, TC, RSC or any other sensors.

I realize that similar problems have been discussed in other threads, but without success in most cases, and mostly in combination with aftermarket wheels and tires. My car is completely, 100% stock, with just over 9k miles.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
These guys have some good pointers, dacampora. Iím also happy to escalate this for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #5
dacampora
Thread Starter
 
dacampora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: California
Posts: 23
Default

It's definitely not the tires. I daily drive the car, and I started noticing it about a hundred miles deep on a LA-Vegas run.
dacampora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
dacampora
Thread Starter
 
dacampora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: California
Posts: 23
Default

I've also rotated the tires since it started happening, so definitely not a wheel balance issue. Its steering/suspension related I'm sure.
dacampora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:37 AM   #7
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member
 
Rudolph Hucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: sweden
Posts: 1,128
Default

yes but when you had the wheels balanced had you driven a lot before..
balancing a tyre that is slightly flatspotted will not work...i've had the same trouble as you and cured it by having the wheels balanced after a long drive...
plus do you have the original wheels or after market?
if after market you must use spigot rings...as i said these cars are so sensitive to wheel issues
Rudolph Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #8
dacampora
Thread Starter
 
dacampora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: California
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker View Post
yes but when you had the wheels balanced had you driven a lot before..
Please read what I wrote. I never said I had the wheels balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker View Post
plus do you have the original wheels or after market?
Again please read above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacampora View Post
My car is completely, 100% stock, with just over 9k miles.
dacampora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #9
dacampora
Thread Starter
 
dacampora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: California
Posts: 23
Default

Maybe I should clarify; the issue arises ONLY on RIGHT TURNS above 80mph. I've been 100+ going straight or on left sweepers and no vibration. This is not a wheel/tire issue.
dacampora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #10
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member
 
Rudolph Hucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: sweden
Posts: 1,128
Default

i've had 3 mustangs in the last few years...all had wheel balance problems
the tyres and wheels have to be 100% perfect otherwise you'll get vibration and wheel wobble..
all 3 of my stangs had issues with steering wobble...only after zero tolerance balancing in various stores did i cure it...
still put my money on it's your tyres and wheels doing it
Rudolph Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loud Noise Above 30 MPH bjdutch2005 2005-2014 Mustangs 10 03-24-2017 04:38 AM
Wheel Question! (New member, hi folks) Tivo304 New Member Area 4 12-05-2015 09:46 PM
2005 GT Intermittent Low Rail Pressure Throttle Drop zanemoseley 2005-2014 Mustangs 6 09-06-2015 01:58 PM
HELP.. Should I buy this fox? raleigh05GTO New Member Area 5 09-04-2015 08:09 AM
03 V6 Mustang Ticking Noise Emblazoned General Tech 0 09-03-2015 11:45 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.