Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steering Wheel Vibration Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 04:13 PM
dacampora

Default Steering Wheel Vibration Issue

I've begun to experience a small issue with my '14 GT Track Pack where right turns at 80mph+ cause a significant steering wheel vibration. I can make it happen on a very sharp 70mph turn, i.e. taking a highway exit too fast, but at 80+ its very apparent. Even changing lanes will cause it.

My first thought was tire pressure, but all tires hold at 35psi. Then I figured wheel balance, but had the tires rotated and it still happens. Took the wheels off again to do a visual inspection. Without knowing what to look for, everything seems fine.

Ford dealership measured the brake pads, they're worn (5mm) but even, and the laptop the tech hooked up to the OBD port didn't show any irregularities with ABS, TC, RSC or any other sensors.

I realize that similar problems have been discussed in other threads, but without success in most cases, and mostly in combination with aftermarket wheels and tires. My car is completely, 100% stock, with just over 9k miles.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:04 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

my tyres flat spot in a few days..it can take over an hour to correct itself once driving..
i have found this to be the cause of my steering wheel vibration.
also i found i need to drive it for an hour before getting the wheels balanced..these cars are mega sensitive to wheel balancing..
Old 03-17-2015, 08:45 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Drive it for a good half hour. If it's still there then you have a problem. If it dies down and goes away it's just cold tires. Mine has a hell of a shake when you first start it up and get on the road (275's front/back don't help, neither do all the poly and spherical bushings). About 10-15 minutes or some quick good brake usage to heat the tires and it goes away completely.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:01 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by dacampora
I've begun to experience a small issue with my '14 GT Track Pack where right turns at 80mph+ cause a significant steering wheel vibration. I can make it happen on a very sharp 70mph turn, i.e. taking a highway exit too fast, but at 80+ its very apparent. Even changing lanes will cause it.

My first thought was tire pressure, but all tires hold at 35psi. Then I figured wheel balance, but had the tires rotated and it still happens. Took the wheels off again to do a visual inspection. Without knowing what to look for, everything seems fine.

Ford dealership measured the brake pads, they're worn (5mm) but even, and the laptop the tech hooked up to the OBD port didn't show any irregularities with ABS, TC, RSC or any other sensors.

I realize that similar problems have been discussed in other threads, but without success in most cases, and mostly in combination with aftermarket wheels and tires. My car is completely, 100% stock, with just over 9k miles.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
These guys have some good pointers, dacampora. I’m also happy to escalate this for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 03-17-2015, 06:58 PM
dacampora

It's definitely not the tires. I daily drive the car, and I started noticing it about a hundred miles deep on a LA-Vegas run.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 PM
dacampora

I've also rotated the tires since it started happening, so definitely not a wheel balance issue. Its steering/suspension related I'm sure.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:37 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

yes but when you had the wheels balanced had you driven a lot before..
balancing a tyre that is slightly flatspotted will not work...i've had the same trouble as you and cured it by having the wheels balanced after a long drive...
plus do you have the original wheels or after market?
if after market you must use spigot rings...as i said these cars are so sensitive to wheel issues
Old 03-18-2015, 09:56 AM
dacampora

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
yes but when you had the wheels balanced had you driven a lot before..
Please read what I wrote. I never said I had the wheels balanced.

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
plus do you have the original wheels or after market?
Again please read above.

Originally Posted by dacampora
My car is completely, 100% stock, with just over 9k miles.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:59 AM
dacampora

Maybe I should clarify; the issue arises ONLY on RIGHT TURNS above 80mph. I've been 100+ going straight or on left sweepers and no vibration. This is not a wheel/tire issue.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:12 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i've had 3 mustangs in the last few years...all had wheel balance problems
the tyres and wheels have to be 100% perfect otherwise you'll get vibration and wheel wobble..
all 3 of my stangs had issues with steering wobble...only after zero tolerance balancing in various stores did i cure it...
still put my money on it's your tyres and wheels doing it

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Vibration Issue