Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

tire recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 06:22 PM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

Default tire recommendation

I'm looking for a new tire that will strike a balance between handling performance, and longevity. I drive about 13000 miles a year, do autocross monthly and about 2-3 track days. I run about -1 degree camber. Currently I have sumitomo htr z3, which at about 650 for a set of 4 255/40/19, Is a great value and I like the performance, however after about 9 months they are needing replacing. I have accepted the fact that I will have to replace my tires every year unless I go to a 500 treadwear tire, but the neg camber really ate up the inside edge of the fronts and unfortunately you cant flip the sumitomo's. I was told that a higher quality tire even at the same treadwear rating will last longer and hold up to the camber better, but I would hate to spend more money on tires just to have to still throw them away every year. I know I'm asking for conflicting things out of a tire, but any advice?
Old 04-01-2015, 09:14 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

As you can guess you are asking for a lot here. If you are paying $650 for a set of tires that you want to drive and race on they will not probably be very competitive at the track and hold up well. Most performance street tires cost ~$250-350 per tire, and those are the ones that hold up well and give you what you are asking for. I'm not sure any street tire can last 13,000 miles and be race ready for multiple years. If you do any kind of racing you need to expect to be buying new tires each season, it's part of the deal in my opinion. I'm wondering why your -1 degree of camber is eating away your tires because most stock cars are aligned in ranges from 0 to -1.5 degrees of camber. So -1 degree is well within factory specs and shouldn't be wearing the tires faster at all. I have used with success the Dunlop Direzza ZII tires, but they are their nicest street tire they make and are pricey. If you search on tire rack for max performance summer tires in whatever tire brand you prefer you can probably find an economical performance tire for around $200-250 per tire. Most of those tires have a 240 and above tread rating. As for rotating, you can rotate directional tires front to back on the same side and squeeze out more longevity that way. I hope that helps.

Last edited by darksky1984; 04-01-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:06 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If you're autocrossing with only -1° camber and eating up the inside shoulders of your front tires, it's probably toe that's 'off' for your driving. If your tires are mounted on wheels closer to the minimum recommended width for their size, that may also be a factor.

I know I keep recommending Michelin's Pilot Super Sport tires, but it's hard not to given that after SIX track days (over ten hours and several hundred miles, all in intermediate and higher run groups) plus somewhere over 2500 street miles mine are still showing very even wear across the treads. They're only about 40% used up, so the durability is there. Oh yeah, I'm running close to -2° camber (but I do take my street cornering to a harder level than most folks).

Norm
Old 04-03-2015, 02:08 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

You may like the Bridgestone S-04's. They ride well, handle decently, and have a 280 tread wear rating. They should be under $200 per tire too. You will not be in the trophies at AX, but you will get respectful times. I was getting about 1 1/2 seasons doing a combo of HPDE's and AX with those tires. I run the hankooks now. The S-04's were a much better street tire, but the kooks rock on the track.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:33 PM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

thanks for the help, my main question is the theory that a more expensive better quality tire at a similar tread wear rating will last longer and resist uneven camber wear better. If so I don't mind spending a little more, but I cant imagine throwing a $1200 set of tires away every 6-8 months. I'll probably try something a little more expensive but not a lot just to be safe
Old 04-04-2015, 12:04 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

I looked on tire rack and the S-04's in 245/45-19 are only $169. That's the size I used. I think you would be happy with them. I'm sure you'll find them giving you both more performance and tire wear than the HTR's.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:15 AM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JThor
I looked on tire rack and the S-04's in 245/45-19 are only $169. That's the size I used. I think you would be happy with them. I'm sure you'll find them giving you both more performance and tire wear than the HTR's.
that's a great price, I have heard good things about them, I may give them a try
Old 04-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Norm, Thanks for the recommendation on the Michelin's Pilot Super Sport tires, I've been looking at them to replace my Nitto 555s. Definitely getting them now.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Tires

I don't race my '06 GT 'vert, but I second the recommendation on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Best tire I ever bought. I have them on my 'Stang as well as on wifey's '08 Miata.
You can't go wrong with them.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Steve68Cougar

I'll jump on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport recommending list. I've had them on my car for a couple of years and have been really impressed with them. I've been caught in a couple of heavy downpours and they handled it great - no hydroplaning. I had them on a road course last year and was very happy with the grip. They're not the cheapest, but there's a reason they get such good reviews. The only caution I would have is if you live in a cold climate. Obviously they're not snow tires, but they also lose some amount of grip when it gets cold. Michelin even warns about driving when temps are under 40.

Quick Reply: tire recommendation