Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 06:18 PM
rocky321
2nd Gear Member

Angry Regrets?

08 GT. I lowered the car about 2 years ago. Vogtland springs all around with Koni STR struts/shocks. I installed the cam bolts to adjust for the lowering. However, here in Florida at least, these alignment shops seem clueless to the specs necessary for a lowered stance, or don't want to handle it at all. I just had new rubber installed all around and an alignment done. With 2 years on the clock and suspension mainly stock and wearing, the front end is just to sloppy. Sometimes I feel like getting really good struts and just putting the stock springs back on. I do like the look of the lowered stance and I'm aware of the availability of caster/camber plates. I'm just frustrated with it all!
Old 02-19-2016, 06:48 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rocky321
08 GT. I lowered the car about 2 years ago. With 2 years on the clock and suspension mainly stock and wearing, the front end is just to sloppy.
Things to check . . . ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, struts . . . and around those crash bolts for evidence of slippage between the struts and the knuckles. You may not be able to check the strut mounts without pulling things apart, but I wouldn't expect OE strut mounts to be all that happy with the struts now at a different inclination ("crash bolt" alignment mainly affects the knuckle's orientation; the strut inclinations vary only a tiny bit away from where the lowering put them).

It is also possible that the Vogtland springs (which IIRC are fairly firm as lowering springs go) are really too much spring for the STR.t dampers. In the beginning they may have given a softer than expected ride, the downside being that that's the most control over suspension movement they'll ever have (IOW they can only get softer and the ride tends toward "floaty" with age and miles).

Alignment for a lowered car shouldn't be much different than for an OE height car that's being tweaked to suit the individual driver. IOW, if you're mostly a mild to maybe moderate driver when it comes to cornering, the OE camber and toe specs will serve you just fine. Harder drivers will likely prefer camber slightly more negative.

I would suggest Koni Sports (aka "yellows"), provided you swap to springs that don't drop as far as the Vogtlands. About one inch seems to be as far as these shocks & struts can easily cope with, given the typical rates of most lowering springs. A perhaps better but nonadjustable option would be Bilsteins (Vorshlag carries them), which appear to tolerate lowering better than the Yellows.

If you do swap shocks & struts, with or without doing springs, either camber plates or Steeda's HD strut mounts (which also feature camber adjustability) would be the way to go.

Full disclosure - I'm running the yellows with the Steeda HD mounts, with the OE springs. Up to and including at HPDE track days. FWIW, I am looking at BMR's "handling springs" (forget the part number) for their stiffness if I can figure out how to take about half of their lowering out.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-19-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:38 AM
rocky321
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Things to check . . . ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, struts . . . and around those crash bolts for evidence of slippage between the struts and the knuckles. You may not be able to check the strut mounts without pulling things apart, but I wouldn't expect OE strut mounts to be all that happy with the struts now at a different inclination ("crash bolt" alignment mainly affects the knuckle's orientation; the strut inclinations vary only a tiny bit away from where the lowering put them).

It is also possible that the Vogtland springs (which IIRC are fairly firm as lowering springs go) are really too much spring for the STR.t dampers. In the beginning they may have given a softer than expected ride, the downside being that that's the most control over suspension movement they'll ever have (IOW they can only get softer and the ride tends toward "floaty" with age and miles).

Alignment for a lowered car shouldn't be much different than for an OE height car that's being tweaked to suit the individual driver. IOW, if you're mostly a mild to maybe moderate driver when it comes to cornering, the OE camber and toe specs will serve you just fine. Harder drivers will likely prefer camber slightly more negative.

I would suggest Koni Sports (aka "yellows"), provided you swap to springs that don't drop as far as the Vogtlands. About one inch seems to be as far as these shocks & struts can easily cope with, given the typical rates of most lowering springs. A perhaps better but nonadjustable option would be Bilsteins (Vorshlag carries them), which appear to tolerate lowering better than the Yellows.

If you do swap shocks & struts, with or without doing springs, either camber plates or Steeda's HD strut mounts (which also feature camber adjustability) would be the way to go.

Full disclosure - I'm running the yellows with the Steeda HD mounts, with the OE springs. Up to and including at HPDE track days. FWIW, I am looking at BMR's "handling springs" (forget the part number) for their stiffness if I can figure out how to take about half of their lowering out.

Norm
OE springs with yellows and the Steeda HD's is in my $ wheelhouse. Very informative and encouraging. Thanks Norm.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:34 AM
rocky321
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

Norm
FYI the strut mounts, lower control arms, struts, springs and shocks are 2 years old. Outer tie rods are brand new. Inner rods and bearings are original. 228,000 miles
Old 02-19-2016, 12:21 PM
evillela2001

Bump steer kit and ball joints from whiteline really helped stabilize my steering. That might be an option too.