Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Diagnosing the Clunk - Struts changed... next...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Sgkukov

Default Diagnosing the Clunk - Struts changed... next...

Hey Guys,

Bought a 2010 V6 Convertible, great car so far. Obviously needs some things and it has the clunk...

I changed out the struts - new mounts and errything. Handles better - tighter but clunk is still present. Changed the end links as well and tightened em down real good.

The previous owner has paperwork showing he spent $1200 on suspension work in February... $1200 to just change the LCA's and tie rod ends. That much money and they didnt even swap end links. Point right now i am overlooking the tie rods and lca's as a possibility as they SHOULD be good.

For what its worth if i put some force on it i can move the sway bar from left to right about an inch or so ... not sure if thats normal or not. Its not much play. The bushing to frame mounts are tight and the rubber doesn't look too bad.

Any ideas on a next step?
Old 05-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Sgkukov

Oh - the clunk is usually going over bumps at low speeds or even roads.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:04 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

I'm having the same issue. It's driving me nuts I just swapped to the GT500 LCAs and it quoted it down but I still hear it. I'm lost in this one. Mines an 09 but should be similar to your 10. Hope somebody has an answer for this!
Old 05-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Sgkukov

09GT/CS did you do the struts?
Old 05-01-2016, 02:57 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Yep struts springs upper strut mounts LCAs. I checked the tie rods ends and sway bar links while in there and didn't see anything too terribly worn. It didn't start till after I lowered it though so not sure what it is but I've replaced almost everything.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:02 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

The best way to make sure the end links are not clunking is to tighten them. Take off the wheels and put an 18mm ratcheting wrench on the big nut and an 8mm on the end link. Tighten. If it still clunks then it's not your end links.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I just replaced the swaybar endlinks in the front of my 2012, there was a tiny bit of play in them, I could only tell when I took them out. I could raise the car by the rear fender well by hand and make it clunk, it clunked over every little bump. These can be damaged if you let them spin when you tighten the nuts.
I've had problems with all of the rubber muffler mounts, these tend to fail and rattle.
I've replaced both the front and rear swaybars, these were both clunking. The rear was so bad I could see the rubber bushings were shot.
Most of these nuts should be tightened when the car is on the ground, not jacked up.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:32 PM
Sgkukov

bought new end links and tightened and em up realll good. Anymore and i might break them.

I'm going to drop the sway bar next and see if the clunk disappears - at this point its trial and error and i have no idea what is causing this problem
Old 05-01-2016, 09:57 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
I just replaced the swaybar endlinks in the front of my 2012, there was a tiny bit of play in them, I could only tell when I took them out. I could raise the car by the rear fender well by hand and make it clunk, it clunked over every little bump. These can be damaged if you let them spin when you tighten the nuts.
I've had problems with all of the rubber muffler mounts, these tend to fail and rattle.
I've replaced both the front and rear swaybars, these were both clunking. The rear was so bad I could see the rubber bushings were shot.
Most of these nuts should be tightened when the car is on the ground, not jacked up.
Yeah I'm about to do the end links next or may just wait till I upgrade the sway bars and do bushings and all. I may have damaged them on install. It may also be the Eibach struts I'm using they didn't seem to be rebounding correctly when I installed them. I talked to the tech line and they said it was because of the valving in them but I'm not completely sold on that. Oh and I ditched the rubber exhaust hangers I went to a midmounted muffler and had my muffler guy put in his mounts. Much more secure now.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:47 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Well it was the end links when I did my shakedown test (no weight on suspension) it all seemed tight. Pulled the drivers side link and there was so much slop in the passenger side I could move the sway bar about half an inch up and down. Put some moog links on it. They were pricy but much beefier than the stockers. Noise is gone now.

Quick Reply: Diagnosing the Clunk - Struts changed... next...