Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Another Front End Noise Comment

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 08:36 PM
rocky321
2nd Gear Member

Default Another Front End Noise Comment

08 GT 248,000 miles. The front end of my car makes more creaks and groans just parallel parking then weaving in and out of traffic at 80 mph. I'm getting ready to change the strut mount and sway bar links. Already changed the sway bar bushings. Struts are Koni orange. Outer tie rod ends are new. Any suggestions while I'm in there?
Old 10-23-2016, 07:51 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If you haven't already done this, get the newer fine-thread strut to knuckle fasteners, the ones that are tightened to 166 ft*lbs torque vs the 148 of the early ones. If you have, at least locktite them on re-installation.

Check the ball joint boots for tears and the joints themselves for play (the factory shop manual should have proper guidance here). Or you could just upgrade to the FRPP front control arms (supposedly stronger ball joints and better bushings) and call it done. Side note - the forward bolts of the control arms don't get final-torqued until the car is off the jacks/jackstands/lift and the full weight of the car is on its wheels.

For the strut mounts, at least consider the Steeda HD strut mounts, which also feature camber adjustability.

I don't know what sort of life your car has led, but it wouldn't hurt to check the hubs with nearly a quarter million miles on their bearings and replace them if they're at all marginal.

Norm
Old 10-23-2016, 09:52 AM
rocky321
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
If you haven't already done this, get the newer fine-thread strut to knuckle fasteners, the ones that are tightened to 166 ft*lbs torque vs the 148 of the early ones. If you have, at least locktite them on re-installation.

Check the ball joint boots for tears and the joints themselves for play (the factory shop manual should have proper guidance here). Or you could just upgrade to the FRPP front control arms (supposedly stronger ball joints and better bushings) and call it done. Side note - the forward bolts of the control arms don't get final-torqued until the car is off the jacks/jackstands/lift and the full weight of the car is on its wheels.

For the strut mounts, at least consider the Steeda HD strut mounts, which also feature camber adjustability.

I don't know what sort of life your car has led, but it wouldn't hurt to check the hubs with nearly a quarter million miles on their bearings and replace them if they're at all marginal.

Norm
Mostly highway. And I just recently changed the hubs for that exact reason...1/4 million miles. Good source for those bolts?

Last edited by rocky321; 10-23-2016 at 09:55 AM. Reason: add
Old 10-23-2016, 12:07 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Maximum Motorsports.

Norm
Old 10-24-2016, 12:31 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I did the new spindle bolts, the GT500 arms, new swaybar endlinks and camber plates and the car doesn't make a single noise in the front. The back had a horrible clunking noise but it went away with the new sway bar and endlinks. The rear endlinks were shot. I bought a set of all the suspension bolts for the S197 from LMR.COM since they are supposed to be one use only. Once I finish upgrading the suspension I'll change all the bolts and torque them to factory specs.