Fays2 Watts-link + FRPP Diff Cover issues - MustangForums.com

S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Fays2 Watts-link + FRPP Diff Cover issues

I finally pulled the trigger on a ton of suspension parts to redo, fix, or enhance my suspension. One of them was the Fays2 Watts-link. I'm having fitment issues and I just wanted to know if anyone else has encountered these things? I have been in contact with Jim and I hope I can get this thing installed. Time is limited though and I probably won't be able to try again till next weekend.

Issue: There is only about 1 7/8 from the Watts-link frame to the Differential cover. That simply isn't enough for the hardware to fit between. I have BMR LCA Relocation Brackets as well as their Non-Adjustable Control Arms. I don't think that changes the position of the rear end any, but I could be wrong? Jim sent me a new frame just in case, and I will fit that up next week but I want to reach out and see if anyone else encountered any issues like this as well.

I am installing this on tire ramps with the front end on the ground, again I don't know if this makes a difference or not but per the instructions it is ok to do it this way. In searching I have seen a convertible that has both installed and there was plenty of room between the cover and frame but that isn't the case with mine. Thanks.
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Not a Fays2 but BMR Watts Link and FRPP Cover. It was necessary to pretty much assemble the link completely before lifting it into position.

Name:  IMG_0262%20Medium_zpsiapz4cyr.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  199.0 KB
Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
Menace
5th Gear Member

This is the problem I am encountering. There simply isn't enough space between the frame and the differential cover for the propeller and the hardware.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #4
Menace
5th Gear Member

Rearward facing side of the Fays 2. Plenty of clearance.

Frontward facing side of the Fays 2. Roughly 1 7/8 clearance to the cover. Not sufficient for propeller and hardware.

Stock panhard bar & brace with FFRP Cover.

BMR Lower Control Arms with Relocation brackets.

Additional view of Stock Panhard Bar & Brace.

Approximation of control arm length, possible candidate for any inconsistency with rear-end position?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #5
Menace
5th Gear Member

Well, I tried installing the new Watts-link frame that Jim sent me today. It had a little more clearance but still the linkage arm bolt wasn't clearing the Differential cover. So I think I am not going to be able to fit the Fays2... I guess I'm looking for alternatives now that will 100% clear the cover.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Crap, I was going to order the Fays, but I just installed a GT500 finned cover. Anyone know if it fits with my cover?
flash_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:30 PM   #7
Menace
5th Gear Member

Did you have any success Flash? I had to return my Fays2 which deeply saddens me because I think it's the best on the market. I contacted BMR and they couldn't confirm that their unit would work with my cover so I think at this point I'm kind of stuck with zero options.