Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Whiteline Watts

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 11:55 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Default Whiteline Watts

I just noticed the propeller on the Whiteline is offset to the passenger side. Anyone know why? I was looking at the Cortex and the propeller looks centered in the pumpkin.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:06 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I think both of them are offset, just by different amounts due to (permitted by?) differences in cover design.

The slight amount of asymmetry may not make enough difference to matter. Lateral load transferred through the geo roll centers only depends on the RC heights above grade. It might make a little difference on a fairly steeply banked turn (i.e. NASCAR), but if that's a situation you need to consider, you'd also be needing to consider the lateral location of the sprung mass CG and its smallish lateral migrations in roll.

Norm
Old 08-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Whiteline
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by flash_xx
I just noticed the propeller on the Whiteline is offset to the passenger side. Anyone know why? I was looking at the Cortex and the propeller looks centered in the pumpkin.
The diff pumpkin is not directly center on the axle. So the Watts link is "offset" so the links are the same length rotating off a center point.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:30 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whiteline
The diff pumpkin is not directly center on the axle. So the Watts link is "offset" so the links are the same length rotating off a center point.
Interesting, didn't know that. So the Watts link propeller is centered to the driveshaft?
Old 08-25-2017, 11:01 AM
Whiteline
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by flash_xx
Interesting, didn't know that. So the Watts link propeller is centered to the driveshaft?
In a sense. It is more centered with the frame rails from the unibody because that is where the pick up points are.