Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Upgrade away bars during spring/strut install??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 02:59 PM
wusthof
2nd Gear Member

Default Upgrade away bars during spring/strut install??

Hey guys, it's been a long since I've been here. Life, kids etc. I've read a lot on here about this topic, but need this hopefully simple question answered. Anyhow, finally going to lower my car and just wondering would this be a good time to replace a front and/or rear sway bar as well (2006 Gt vert)? Do I want one, or need one? It is my daily driver and DD only......would like a better handling car. But I've also read that not to put money into a sway bar until you've driven the car with the new shocks and springs. Any help would be appreciated. Tia
Old 05-07-2018, 03:15 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Sway bar upgrades tend to flatten out the cornering and instill more confidence. If you are just looking to lower the car for looks, no track driving, I wouldn't waste the money on them.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:09 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I would do the bushings and end links for sure, if they haven't been done. You may
end up having to cut the end-links off the struts anyway. Put a strut tower
brace in if you don't have one, you'll notice the difference right away.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:21 PM
wusthof
2nd Gear Member

Yea dunno......the car definitely leans when I get on it. The suspension has 138k on it, so I just figured while the springs n shocks were out it would be a good thing to do. White lightening end links are $110, but I can get the bar for for another $100. Coulda shoulda woulda I hate lol!!
20" wheels
springs -- prokit
shocks -- koni str.t -- on order
replacing the mounts with GT mounts (read no point with the gt500s)
keep the opinions coming guys....I still haven't ordered the isolators yet and would be looking at getting one bar to compliment --- the front OR the rear. I'm assuming a shock tower braces are all the same besides aesthetics? I can only hose the wifee so much ha. Thx again guys
Old 05-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I'd definitely get aftermarket endlinks as the early OE Ford endlinks are notoriously difficult to properly torque once you've taken them off.

The STB is the least useful of all the parts mentioned so far. Just so you know, my '08 does not have one and datalogs well beyond 1g in the corners (this being on the track once the tires have come up to temperature). Probably never will.

Since you're already committed to doing shocks/struts/springs first, put the bars themselves on the back burner until you've driven the car in its modified form enough to realize whether the car needs to have its understeer/oversteer balance tweaked or the amount of roll reduced still further. Let the car tell you what it needs. If you do elect to do the bars, get adjustables so you can really dial them in to best suit you.

Norm
Old 05-08-2018, 05:21 PM
wusthof
2nd Gear Member

Thx for your .02 Norm!! Ok... the whiteline bars are on hold. Stb will stay on hold. 2 more things >>>> What end links do you recommend as well as the strut mount/isolators? I've read that the gt500s are a waste and save a few bux and get the GT isolators? That's it right??? If you wanna give a couple of links that would help & Ebay is usually my go to.

1)end links
2)strut mounts

thx again norm....need the guidance!
Old 05-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

For endlinks, I went with UMI Performance endlinks, the rod-ended kind that look like their #1049 (I've long since forgotten the part number). UMI also has a less expensive style that is also adjustable if you disconnect one end. The 1049 is almost certainly the stronger design, but needs a shot of WD-40 every so often wipe off any excess so that dirt won't get stuck.

I'm going to suggest the Steeda HD strut mounts. They're a bit more expensive than either of the OE Ford pieces, but they have some camber adjustability built in to them which is useful when lowering your car and the resulting camber is not what you want. Way better than aftermarket "camber bolts".

Norm
Old 05-08-2018, 07:53 PM
wusthof
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
For endlinks, I went with UMI Performance endlinks, the rod-ended kind that look like their #1049 (I've long since forgotten the part number). UMI also has a less expensive style that is also adjustable if you disconnect one end. The 1049 is almost certainly the stronger design, but needs a shot of WD-40 every so often wipe off any excess so that dirt won't get stuck.

I'm going to suggest the Steeda HD strut mounts. They're a bit more expensive than either of the OE Ford pieces, but they have some camber adjustability built in to them which is useful when lowering your car and the resulting camber is not what you want. Way better than aftermarket "camber bolts".

Norm
yea those steedas ain't cheap!!! Thx a bunch