Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

725hp Shelby GT500 Super Snake

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:08 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 725hp Shelby GT500 Super Snake

Sounds to me like you need a GT500 first, then take it directly to Shelby and they do the mods for you.

I still think this is all about advertising and has nothing to do with producing these cars in volume. If there was a mass market for these Uber Stangs, then we'd be seeing a lot more competition out there. The real bargain is the regular Mustangs, and that has been it's signature since 1964.

My neighbor down the block talks about having a Mach1 when he was younger, and how badly he wanted the Forddual 4-barrel carbs with progressive linkage in the dealer's showcase. As long as Ford has been selling Mustangs, they have been selling ways for regular people to upgrade performance.

There never was a market for highest-priced Mustangs. Old Shelbys aren't rare because they were all melted down like an old WWII fighter - they're rare because they didn't make very many. They would not have sold them if they did - just like the AC Cobras that the dealers couldn't pay people to drive back in the 60's, and are now worth six-figures.

The Mustang price per hp was too good then, just like it is now. That's where Ford makes money, and that's the kind of car most people want.

Corvettes and Vipers aren'tintended to make money, they exist to sell other cars. In that class, the Shelby GT500 is the hottest car on the planet right now, and that's exactly what they wanted it to be.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:05 AM
redcobrasc
2nd Gear Member

According to the M/T article its 10k. But if you do a breakdown on a hood ,stripes, scoops, badges,tire and wheels, engine work, rear gears ,inside add ons and dont forget the plack , not counting labor cost.The 10ksounds more like a stripped down version of a super snake. I just cant believe you can get anything out of shelby motors for 10k. JMO
Old 05-03-2007, 01:43 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

What window scoops are those?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:25 PM
redcobrasc
2nd Gear Member

Heresanother variation of stripes then M/T. The scoops are on the rear quarter window and rear door.

[IMG]local://upfiles/66458/58D2E372ADD94674A60FAD4A6C4F162A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-03-2007, 11:57 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

Here is my take on this. Why would you want to send a GT500 to Shelby for them to do mods that will void the warranty? If you're going to blow the engine, you should have some fun doing it and not pay someone else to do it for you..... It 's the part of the whole experience. You floor it and go W!T!F!!!!!!!!!!
Bottom line is, I kept raising the glass until the engine blew on the GT. I bet most people will do the same for the Shelby. I know I will.....

I still love my GT a lot more than the Shelby because I struggled to make what it is today....

ORIGINAL: p51mstg

Sounds to me like you need a GT500 first, then take it directly to Shelby and they do the mods for you.

I still think this is all about advertising and has nothing to do with producing these cars in volume. If there was a mass market for these Uber Stangs, then we'd be seeing a lot more competition out there. The real bargain is the regular Mustangs, and that has been it's signature since 1964.

My neighbor down the block talks about having a Mach1 when he was younger, and how badly he wanted the Forddual 4-barrel carbs with progressive linkage in the dealer's showcase. As long as Ford has been selling Mustangs, they have been selling ways for regular people to upgrade performance.

There never was a market for highest-priced Mustangs. Old Shelbys aren't rare because they were all melted down like an old WWII fighter - they're rare because they didn't make very many. They would not have sold them if they did - just like the AC Cobras that the dealers couldn't pay people to drive back in the 60's, and are now worth six-figures.

The Mustang price per hp was too good then, just like it is now. That's where Ford makes money, and that's the kind of car most people want.

Corvettes and Vipers aren'tintended to make money, they exist to sell other cars. In that class, the Shelby GT500 is the hottest car on the planet right now, and that's exactly what they wanted it to be.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:51 AM
redcobrasc
2nd Gear Member

I believe the warranty will only be voided if you gowith the 725hp upgrade, they also offer the 600hp that doesnt viod it. Plus i really like the hood, and scoops, but still curios what 10k buys you at shelby motors.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:59 AM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

Call me cynical but I bet it doesn't get youmore than a pulley swap and a signature....

ORIGINAL: redcobrasc

I believe the warranty will only be voided if you gowith the 725hp upgrade, they also offer the 600hp that doesnt viod it. Plus i really like the hood, and scoops, but still curios what 10k buys you at shelby motors.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:40 AM
mustangfreak417
2nd Gear Member

im pretty sure that cars gonna SPANK the Z06
Old 05-04-2007, 02:54 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

That car is definitely sexy J however 725 hp seems way overkill for a live axle vehicle that is intended for street use, I wonder how they intend to send all those ponies to the ground without spinning the tires all the way to 3rd gear
Old 05-04-2007, 07:36 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

Gee, another overpriced, adm'ed to death, unattainable car with the build quality and interior from a 20K dollar bread and butter car. Wooptidoo.[:'(]

All sarcasm aside. It looks awesome. But really does nothing for ford . They love to build cars that no one can go and buy, touch and own.

When one can walk in to chevy (ZO6), porsche or BMW and actually buy a car for a reasonable buck compared to MSRP without jumping through hoops and kissing salespersons asses, why bother with ford's games???

It is not that they have this unbelievably better product. It is all their marketing BS and forced supply.

I love my 06, and it treats me well. But I had to cut through dealer bs for a few weeks while being lied to by many dealers (including having an ordered car sold out from under me) to get it a smidge under MSRP.

And when a customer with money in pocket is interested in buying a GT500 at ONLY sticker, and willing to wait for an ordered car, and you allow dealers to turn away sales, you are playing with a half deck.

Sure, ZO6's are in high demand too, and ones on the dealer lots are about 5K above sticker which is not too bad if you have to have a car now. But a dealer will order you one at MSRP or below and in 4 months or so your car comes in.

Maybe next time, don't pick cars that are ALSO over priced, the Z06, sells for over MSRP, the Boxter isn't worth MSRP but sells for over it and BMW, explain to me how they are worth what they sell for. I work with people who buy them, I've never heard more complaining about cheap materials and constant issues in my life.

So, it isn't just Ford, it's ALL OF THEM, look at the PT Cruiser, that thing sold for 10k over MSRP to keep this in perspective and it's a Neon with a new body. That being said it would be nice if they weren't all so profit driven but they are and I'll never be able to afford that Saleen Boss 302 that I want very badly and I doubt I'll be able to afford the Ford version either when that finally comes out. The people who these cars were meant for can no longer afford the price of admission,.

Quick Reply: 725hp Shelby GT500 Super Snake