Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Gt500s How low will they go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:56 AM
fosman77
2nd Gear Member

Default Gt500s How low will they go?

I have been looking for a GT500, I have noticed that some dealers are going below sticker price. I have also seen some used ones for around $40,000, How low do you guys think they will go, Thanks, Lee
Old 11-13-2008, 02:00 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Who knows? With the current economic conditions, not everyone is willing to go drop $45-50k on a weekend ride........I am certain dealers are considering going lower than MSRP.

With that being said, I think you have to keep in mind...these are limited production cars. Once their run is up, only one thing will happen..less and less will be available and around.

Sad to say, but true, Mr Shelby won't live forever...and he is 85. It was important to me to get the car while he is alive and well, doing what he loves.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:08 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

how much u think the value will go up when he passes?
Old 11-13-2008, 03:16 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Well, I look at it this way.... Carroll Shelby is an automotive legend. He doesn't design cars with other people's names on them (ie: Steve Gurney, Parnelli Jones)...he puts his own name on them, and he's got 50 years of experience in this line of work. I know his legacy and Shelby Automotives will live long on after he is no longer around.

The attention he pays to performance and his motivation are two of the major reasons I wanted one of his cars.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:20 PM
CobraO
1st Gear Member

One just sold, it was listed on a few different sites, heavily modified, for $35,000. I've seen a couple of others in the high 30s, but these are probably examples of the economy and people that have to get out from under them very quickly. Average price of an 07 from someone that actually wants to sell it would be around 38 - 42.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:13 PM
thewheelman
2nd Gear Member

You're right Carroll won't live forever, that's one reason it was so important for me to get a Shelby while The Man was still alive. His name will live on, but like everything else, it won't be the same......
Old 11-13-2008, 06:35 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

its hard to evaluate with any accuracy how low or high a vehicle estimated worth will or could be. I have seen some gt500's used sell pretty low ($30's) with mods..most were due to unfortunate circumstances forcing the sale which is sad in itself. overall I did not buy my car with teh hope of keeping it in a closet and not enjoying it. I did not buy mine for any sort of investment purpose. I bought mine for a love of the look, the performance of it and yes also because it is a rarity. I can drive to work in my car everyday for a month and count the amount of GT500's I see on the road on one hand. I have yet to see a vista blue gt500 in my area as well. saw one over in Orlando about a year ago....but thats it...I know of a couple red and white gt500s, 2 alloy , 1 white with blue..thats about it,....the rest are either kept stored in the garage or just never see them...I love the rarity of these cars in itself..to me that makes them priceless...but back to the OP, I think if demand dwindles and they are sitting on lots and dealers continue to hurt...the msrp may be a thing of the past...but most dealers are pretty stubborn and sstill advertise with ADM's...who knows..its all speculation...
Old 11-13-2008, 07:42 PM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

Last day for all S197 platform is 1/13/09. I got my car a couple weeks ago for low 40. Previous owner drove it 460 miles in 2 years. If CS passes you wont see an effect from that in the short term. Better to have the ecomony generate demand and have people bidding them up to a higher price. I could see a nice one at 36 sometime next year. Wouldn't buy one trashed unless you only plan to race it.

Last time I checked local dealer still had 15K adm's here.

Last edited by awakeinAZ; 11-13-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:54 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

the local dealer is trying to sell one at 44,000 right now.... with no luck, he even told me he'd let me walk out with the keys for 39K... of course I told him that for 39K I expected to get the car as well, not just keys

but seriously though, if you're willing to talk 40K the dealers are listening
Old 11-14-2008, 08:17 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by A_Drunken_Llama
the local dealer is trying to sell one at 44,000 right now.... with no luck, he even told me he'd let me walk out with the keys for 39K... of course I told him that for 39K I expected to get the car as well, not just keys

but seriously though, if you're willing to talk 40K the dealers are listening
albeit I agree that money talks and BS walks....if a dealer told me today that I can have a gt500 BRAND NEW for 39-40k which is 6-7k BELOW MSRP (depending on options) I would be all over it...so with that being said...where are you located, can you pm me the name and contact number of the dealer...I would take the trip and go and buy it at 39-40k tomorrow...let me know...

Quick Reply: Gt500s How low will they go?