Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

GT500 Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Mustang dyno numbers are in that range for a stocker.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
The GT500 is more like 13% loss to the wheels
Originally Posted by Black Chrome
18% loss at the wheels is norm i think
Just dont get caught up in it every car has the same or more loss, especially with autos.
I agree. I really expected to see about 430 to 445.

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
Both those sets of numbers are low, how many miles on the dial now??
Originally Posted by SaddleUp
Those numbers do sound low....should have around 2000ish miles now, right?
Yeah about 2000 now, 2cokeman & Shella! (at least he didn't have any derogatory comments about my car, Ha!)

something is wrong with the dyno?
After I thought about it for a while I suspect the dyno and/or the op.

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
Allot of factors.... It's hot... Does the dyno guy know how to dyno a gt500 (believe me you'd be surprised how many don't) is the dyno guy got something to gain (ie is he trying to sell you a tune or mods etc) your hp and torque lines don't look smooth at all? Is there spark blow out.. How hot was the car on First run...I've seen a stock low of 418 and avg around 425-430 with higher stock numbers 435-450... Mine came in at 443 prior to mods...so yes numbers are low but I'd be more concerned on your shaky lines.... Don't think anything is wrong but it looks like the runs were not as smooth as they should have been... Find another dyno guy IMO...
The temp was about 87 deg and humidity closer to 60%. I drove about 20 miles to get there (10 in the city- stop & go) then about 30 min wait to get it set up. I think another dyno is good advice, I think the nearest is probably Tulsa, this one is in Fort Smith. I think I'm gonna do it again before I change anything.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:25 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
What tires you have in there?? The stock eagle f1's... Wheel slip on the dyno roller?? That could explain the shaky curves etc too??
Yes it's the stock tires. Maybe wheel slip!
Old 08-07-2010, 11:56 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I was thinking those numbers were low, too, until I looked at the temp on the dyno chart. It was a fairly warm day. But I'd still expect to see at least 425HP. And I agree with the wheel slip. You gotta make sure they cinch it down to where it's still real world road force on the tires.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:53 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MarkMan
Yes it's the stock tires. Maybe wheel slip!
definitely could be...again that goes with does the dyno guy HAVE experience doing dyno runs for the gt500... its just like I said the lines look really choppy and just not as smooth as they should....FYI...here is my older Dyno sheet by justin (one of the best knowledged tuners in the US for our cars...) the first numbers were after the ford CAI and Ford tune which gave me about 40rwhp off of stock number of 443. you can see the smoothness of the lines and how the run went...the 2nd and 3rd numbers were with justins tune then the 2.6 pulley...
obviously before my other mods L&M throttle body, high flow racing cats etc....which has me at my numbers now...anyways..put it here for your info to see lines, curves etc

Old 08-07-2010, 12:57 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Also have to factor in the air intake temps. Ask him for a dyno chart showing actual boost during the runs. As an example, my pulley is designed for 12-13lbs of boost, but due to heat was only seeing 10 lbs.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:18 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Also have to factor in the air intake temps. Ask him for a dyno chart showing actual boost during the runs. As an example, my pulley is designed for 12-13lbs of boost, but due to heat was only seeing 10 lbs.
+1 absolutely....heat, humidity, altitude all HUGE factors....but I still say by looking at his numbers and dyno chart...this guy was probably not as experienced at putting a gt500 on a dyno....heck he let off it before it even hit 6k rpm..
Old 08-07-2010, 01:27 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

I would definitely be concerned on the shakiness of your lines still too...STD is usually HIGHER than SAE smoothing...and STD 5 as yours was printed in should have shown a MUCH smoother line.... mine shows some quivering but its at the roughest setting of SAE 0 neither changes your HP but it smooths out the graph charts the way I understand it...little info on SAE vs STD below

SAE -- The SAE standard applied is a modified version of the SAE J1349 standard of June 1990. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.23 InHg (99 kPa) of dry air and 77 F (25°C). This SAE standard requires a correction for friction torque. Friction torque can be determined by measurements on special motoring dynamometers (which is only practical in research environments) or can be estimated. When estimates must be used, the SAE standard uses a default Mechanical Efficiency (ME) value of 85%. This is approximately correct at peak torque but not at other engine operating speeds. Some dynamometer systems use the SAE correction factor for atmospheric conditions but do not take mechanical efficiency into consideration at all (i.e. they assume a ME of 100%). SuperFlow uses a more sophisticated algorithm for calculating friction torque, based on a summary of thousands of friction power tests performed by the automotive industry. This proprietary algorithm estimates friction torque as a function of piston speed and engine displacement.

STD -- The STD (also called STP) standard is another power correction standard determined by the SAE. This standard has been stable for a long time and is widely used in the performance industry. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.92 InHg (103.3 kPa) of dry air and 60 F (15.5°C). Because the reference conditions include higher pressure and cooler air than the SAE standard, these corrected power numbers will always be about 4 % higher than the SAE power numbers. Friction torque is handled in the same way as in the SAE standard. Once again, this means the STP corrected power displayed by your SuperFlow test system will be more accurate than power numbers obtained using a default Mechanical Efficiency of 100% or 85%.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Black Chrome
1st Gear Member

whoever wrote on this dyno doesnt have much attention to detail his printing looks like grade 8 english.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:35 PM
effin' speedracer
2nd Gear Member

whoever wrote on this dyno doesnt have much attention to detail his printing looks like grade 8 english.
Might have fudged the numbers a little so after it's tuned it looks as if more power was made...

Quick Reply: GT500 Dyno