Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

2010 shelby whipple 3.4 heating problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 03:20 PM
cobra_svt

Default 2010 shelby whipple 3.4 heating problem

hi every1,

a friend of mine owns a 2010 shelby. 2 weeks ago we replaced the sc with a 3.4 whipple kit, full exhaust system and a spec performance clutch. he didnt even use the intercooler that came with the kit but instead ordered a bigger intercooler.

the car was dyno tuned and we got good results. i am not sure what psi he is running on but with a safe tune we got 680hp on wheel.

the car has been running perfect but a couple of days ago the car stopped picking boost, when we popped the hood there was abit of smoke coming out of the radiator's spare tank, the coolant was boiling. we took the car to the garage and we were told that the water pump wasnt working. we got a new one from the agency and replaced the water pump but unfortunately we faced the same issue on the same day. whenever this happens the temp meter in the dash board is always normal,no signs of overheat.

my friend isnt driving his car now. we cant find a solution.

hope u can share ur valuble opinions.

thanks everyone.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:00 AM
07 naja

Check the pump on the intercooler.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:40 AM
Red-GT500
1st Gear Member

possible internal blockage in the engine or on the intercooler? Maybe there was something inside the tubing when he put it together and it finally blocked the passage?
Old 10-31-2010, 02:43 PM
cobra_svt

Originally Posted by 07 naja
Check the pump on the intercooler.
we did think of the same today, thanks.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:47 PM
cobra_svt

Originally Posted by Red-GT500
possible internal blockage in the engine or on the intercooler? Maybe there was something inside the tubing when he put it together and it finally blocked the passage?
we checked the piping, it was clear. it might be the pump, if not we'll have to take it to ford.

thanks again guys.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:39 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Sounds like the intercooler pump isn't working, good luck with the repair.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:01 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Did you burp the coolant system? That will definitely cause overheating. I believe the intercooler system has to be burped, too.

edit:
And what kind of tune was he running that he was only getting 680WHP? I've been seeing videos and charts showing the 3.4L Whipple on the GT500 making in excess of 700WHP (Tasca Mod Shop for one.) I'm expecting to be making near 680WHP with my 2.9L Whipple after installation, so he should be making way more than that.

Last edited by GT Premi; 11-01-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:38 PM
cobra_svt

Originally Posted by GT Premi
Did you burp the coolant system? That will definitely cause overheating. I believe the intercooler system has to be burped, too.

edit:
And what kind of tune was he running that he was only getting 680WHP? I've been seeing videos and charts showing the 3.4L Whipple on the GT500 making in excess of 700WHP (Tasca Mod Shop for one.) I'm expecting to be making near 680WHP with my 2.9L Whipple after installation, so he should be making way more than that.
actually they told we can run the car upto 750whp with this kit, my friend wanted a safe tune for everyday use. the car is not for track, just for street race, so they gave us a very safe tune at 680whp daily use. my friend is the type that drives rough.

anyways, thanks everyone, will update u with everything and will consider all ur suggestions.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:10 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Why are you guys pumping on about the intercooler pump ??: It's got ZERO to do with motor cooling !! WOW
You can run the intercooler dry for thousands of miles and all that will happen will be that the computer will retard spark if/when the intake charge temp get's Hot.

The motor cooling system may well need a burping, if the motor isn't already toast that is. But there's something else. the motor doesn't make boost (picking???), the coolant is boiling but the temp gauge is normal... hmmm. I know our temp gauges are BS at best but I would expect to see something reflecting hi temps if she's boiling up.

Sounds to me like it could be the intercooler which is boiling up, not the motor at all, and that the computer IS pulling spark to save the motor hence the low power levels. I would look at the intercooling water pipe-work and it's routing, could be you've made a fundamental error with that somehow.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Perhaps you missed Red-GT500's post and misinterpreted mine, marcuskeeler?

Quick Reply: 2010 shelby whipple 3.4 heating problem