Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:43 AM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Dead Battery

ORIGINAL: Jonsey

I read in the 2005+ section that it is most likely my Mobil Guardian GPS alarm. Apparently, they have issues with it and have upgraded to prevent thsi from occuring. Something tells me 2.5 years after getting the system they won't do anything for free. I will remove the thing if needed so I can drive the car.

Also, one guy had the issue was due to the alarm as well. Perhaps, I am getting the double or triple whammie, bad alarm, shaker and GPS alarm. Lovely.
And, unfortunately, if your battery has been drained down enough times, it won't hold worth a charge worth sh*t. I would think a stereo/alarm shop worth their weight in salt would be able to come up with a workaround for folks like you with after-market electronics added.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:53 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

Thanks for posting that Bob! I could look it up....but I didn't have access to the description.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:39 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Damn gremlins [:@] As long as I turn the radio off prior to shutting down, my battery does not drain....not even after 60-90 days!

If I was having these problems, I would put my battery on a good charger for a full 8 hours to get it back to life, then invest $20 in a decent Battery Tender/Companion and just treat that as one of the typical steps of parking the car and putting the garage door down.

The Batt Tender I have came with a quick connector, so once the leads are attached to the battery, the connection/disconnection is done in a snap with the plastic connector.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:34 PM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

My car sits for a long time in the garage over the winter and the battery dies in about a month, but it's still frustrating. I replaced 2 batteries and now have an Optima Red top, which really did nothing to help. Go to Sears and buy a digital multimeter (about $20).

Put it on the Amps 10+ setting and then tape or clip the leads in series between the + terminal on the battery and the battery clamp. Turn off all your accessories and take a reading. Mine was .13 amps. then start pulling out fuses one at a time and see if you amps drop significantly. If it does, that's the circuit where you have a short or a drain. I would start with the fuses to the stereo. I found nothing that dropped my draw down beyond the .13 amps. Like I said my charge lasts for about a month.

I have also heard the electrical system "drops" amp draw after about 45 minutes of resting with everything turned off. I can't confirm this since i was too impatient and did not wait 45 min.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:06 PM
unclemilti
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sowaxeman

Damn gremlins [:@] As long as I turn the radio off prior to shutting down, my battery does not drain....not even after 60-90 days!

If I was having these problems, I would put my battery on a good charger for a full 8 hours to get it back to life, then invest $20 in a decent Battery Tender/Companion and just treat that as one of the typical steps of parking the car and putting the garage door down.

The Batt Tender I have came with a quick connector, so once the leads are attached to the battery, the connection/disconnection is done in a snap with the plastic connector.

+1^

I finally tired of wondering if or when I could get my car to start, so I bought a Battery Tender, then went on Ebay and bought a long extension Battery Tender cord and rigged everything up.

I have the connect plug just inside the wheelwell, and the other end permanently connected to the leadson the battery. Now, when I pull the car in, I reach up in the fenderwell, connect the quick-connect plug, and boom...its done. No opening the hood, no anything. The Tender sits in my cabinet plugged in, and theres a narrow cord running from it to the car.

Works like a charm. Well worth the 60 bucks I have tied up in it. No turning off the radio, no saying the Lords prayer, no sprinkling dust around the car after I pull it in the garage.

Just a quick plug in.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:24 PM
calshamus

For what it's worth, Optima batteries are total crap. I bought one for my 56 Chevy and another one for my 67 Mustang Fastback, both red-tops. I ended up replacing each one several times until the warranty went out, then I swore them off for life. Never had a worse experience with a product, especially a *premium product.

Cal
Old 05-15-2008, 02:58 PM
AmyVCTexas
3rd Gear Member

I had the battery drain issue when I first got Georgia. Took her to the dealer and they found it was a problem with the wiring harness to headlights. And indeed was a Saleen issue. They fixed it and no issues since. And she sits for several days at a time, starts right up. I don't turn the radio (Shaker 500) off first or do anything else "special" (other than petting her and thanking her for a nice drive).
Old 05-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ I too pet the VIXN after a nice drive, although, some may say a little heavier than you [sm=Awwww.gif]

The Jaz [sm=smiley9.gif]

Old 05-15-2008, 03:57 PM
cobraT
1st Gear Member

Jonsey,

If you have some type of GPS equipment. Chances are that is the issue. The unit probably is powered 24-7. I had a marine unit with the same issue,aka dead battery. Find the power lead and put a switch in circuit to power off the unit.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Bob D.
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: calshamus

For what it's worth, Optima batteries are total crap. I bought one for my 56 Chevy and another one for my 67 Mustang Fastback, both red-tops. I ended up replacing each one several times until the warranty went out, then I swore them off for life. Never had a worse experience with a product, especially a *premium product.

Cal
Very disappointing to hear, and I have heard similar stories elsewhere lately. IME these were truly excellent products when they first came out; it used to be the first purchase I would make for any "collector" car I would buy.I currently have a 6 year-old red-top Optima in an old VW I own that cranks right over even after sitting literally months at a time. Since the car lacks modern electrical accessories I assume there is 0 draw when it is sitting, but still it is impressive as I have never had the battery on a tender.

Yet, the newer Optimas seem problematic at best. What a shame, as a hardier battery might really help some folks with borderline battery drain problems.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery