Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

How to disable airbag warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:00 PM
dramsey
2nd Gear Member

Default How to disable airbag warning

In preparation for Mustangs Across America, I'm temporarily replacing the passenger side seat in my 2007 Saleen with a Recaro so my wife isn't crippled by the time the cross-country sojourn ends.

Of course the Recaro does not have an integral airbag. In previous cars, I've disabled the warning simply by shorting a couple of pins on the appropriate connector...does anyone know which pins to short on a late model 'Stang?
Old 03-17-2009, 04:40 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Did you figure this out? I'd like to know also.. my passenger air bag goes off when ever I have a passenger. With no passenger its always on..
I'd like to disable the seat sensor so the air bag is always on.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:29 PM
dramsey
2nd Gear Member

No, sorry. If there's a way to do this, nobody seems to know what it is...
Old 03-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

I know what the part to fix the problem is and I'm probably one of only two people on the forum who know what it is. It was verrry hard to track down. The airbag wires are more complicated than just shorting a couple of connections and I'm getting it for myself as well, as I'm running into the airbag issue.

I'm attempting to get pricing on the component right now but I won't be able to get the numbers until tomorrow. I don't know if it's $30 or over $100. It's a part used by Ford to diagnose problems with the airbag system by fooling the airbag into reading the sensors a certain way, it's made by a direct ford scervice supplier.

Do both of you want something like this? You can PM me if you want to order with me.

Last edited by Legion5; 03-17-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info... you can count me in, I'll be glad to get this thing fixed!! I looked at the wires today and thats about as far as I got.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:09 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

I found a guy that said he used this http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc7957.html on his Focus when he put aftermarket seats in it. Seems like that would work??
Old 03-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ScremnS281
I found a guy that said he used this http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc7957.html on his Focus when he put aftermarket seats in it. Seems like that would work??
Same principle. more complicated. Incase you were wondering you can't use that part because it serves a different purpose if you read the instructions it mentions this.

Hopefully I'll have time to get through tommorow.

Last edited by Legion5; 03-17-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:58 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

If it's not too expensive (i.e., well over $100), I'm in.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Mr. Peter Pan

Don't have a manual fix for your problem but there should be a way to do it with a programmer. ?? The one thing I do remember was seeing piles of factory Ford airbags *from the bolsters) on the floor of the factory. Not that it matters now since Saleen is no more but I don't believe the katskinned Saleen 2005 and up seats have those airbags. I remember a few posts over a year ago about the airbag light being incorrect because Saleen redid the seat to the point that the passenger dashboard airbag may not deploy if there is a passenger in the seat. To say nothing about the seat airbags even being there. Just thought you should know.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:10 AM
dramsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Peter Pan
Don't have a manual fix for your problem but there should be a way to do it with a programmer. ?? The one thing I do remember was seeing piles of factory Ford airbags *from the bolsters) on the floor of the factory. Not that it matters now since Saleen is no more but I don't believe the katskinned Saleen 2005 and up seats have those airbags. I remember a few posts over a year ago about the airbag light being incorrect because Saleen redid the seat to the point that the passenger dashboard airbag may not deploy if there is a passenger in the seat. To say nothing about the seat airbags even being there. Just thought you should know.
You may be right-- there's no little "airbag" tag on the side of the seat. But even so, the Saleen seat must have had a simulator in it, since removing the seats caused the warning light to come on...

I don't have a programmer but I do have a simple diagnostic computer. No trouble codes are shown even though the airbag light is on, so I don't think airbags are part of the OBDII spec.

Quick Reply: How to disable airbag warning